What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut my hombre green peppermint soap from yesterday. It was a little thicker than I would have liked for the pour so my layers are pretty obvious, but I still like it. It did get a partial gel on about half of the bars. They are just for my own use though so not a big deal. My house smells nice and pepperminty today.
Pretty! I'm scared of trying an ombre... Those smooth ones some manage to make coz I have a feeling it's a lot to do with how you gradually increase your colorant.. I'm afraid it'll take me forever to do so many "layers" and it'll thicken up. This lady makes it look so easy haha

Pretty! I'm scared of trying an ombre... Those smooth ones some manage to make coz I have a feeling it's a lot to do with how you gradually increase your colorant.. I'm afraid it'll take me forever to do so many "layers" and it'll thicken up. This lady makes it look so easy haha

That was the exact video I used for inspiration! lol My soap was thickening up a lot faster than I expected so I needed to work faster than I would have liked. For some reason, the inner bars that got the partial gel are far less obvious with the layers...but the circle in the center kind of ruins it for me. I think I will definitely give it another go. I want to achieve the skill of that soap maker in the video....just beautiful! I might wait on attempt 2 until the heat of summer is over as i am finding that I have less time to work with the soap batter than I did in the spring when it was cooler. For now I will just keep things very simple!

I need to organize my piping tips, etc. that I got this week (I don't want to start piping on my soaps until that's done)...but I'm probably going to just make another soap or do more research into what I need to do to start a business off "right" for my area!

I cut my hombre green peppermint soap from yesterday. It was a little thicker than I would have liked for the pour so my layers are pretty obvious, but I still like it. It did get a partial gel on about half of the bars. They are just for my own use though so not a big deal. My house smells nice and pepperminty today.

Very nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely shades of green! Love them!

I made a 500 g batch with a new-to-me FO (Sandalwood from Swedish company Tvålköket) and an in-the-pot swirl with two shades of violet and a little white. Poured into a pipe mold. It seems that sandalwood FO sometimes discolors, so I wonder if there’ll be any swirl left? Looking forward to unmolding it very much.

I just made a batch of soap with apple pie FO and used the heat transfer method for the first time. Pretty cool way of doing things. Hopefully it turns out ok. It seemed like I had a bit more time than I normally do, but I am uncertain about if the palm oil was heated enough. I use the no stir PO and I have found out, for me at least, that if it isn't heated COMPLETELY AND WELL, then it starts to do weird things to my batter. Had some issues with that once so I am assuming it was the PO, so we will see what happens when I cut it. Not too much going on this week because we are bringing our son to college for move in on thursday. So my brain is preoccupied. Even soaping doesn't break the brain fog well. Oh well. Maybe ONE more batch this week... :rolleyes:;):nodding:

Pretty, pretty, pretty. Very nice color gradient.

20190824_170332.jpg
Made some foaming liquid soap today. I found a frozen bag of soap paste I stuck in a freeze two years ago before we moved. I think they turned out good for being forgotten about.

BF's mom texted me and asked if I had any lavender soap. Said a friend of hers is going through a really difficult custody battle for her 9 year old son and he's really feeling stressed. Lavender helps him calm down and helps him to sleep, according to her. I sent off my whole stash of 9 bars for her to keep and give away to whomever. I know what it's like to have a lot of family drama and stress and I really hope my soap will help him feel a little better.

So I made a new loaf of lavender soap to add to the curing rack, and then decided I would make another batch of unscented castile soap for when I run out of the few bars I have right now. That took about 9 years to trace (probably not helped by the fact that I did 10% KOH) and even after having it in the oven for a few hours, it was still barely at a light trace. I decided to HP it since I'm the most impatient person that ever existed and that got cut this morning. Boy, HP is an adventure, I'll tell you that much. I don't care for the "rustic" texture much but I'll do cigar bands and play off of it.

I have a few friends at work who have been asking for soap, and they've all been big fans. I'm really happy to be sharing my crafts with people!!

I just got back from Bali yesterday, and was inspired to make some soap today. I used my new 'freshly picked and pureed' aloe out of the freezer, and pineapple and mango FO. Smells just like the fresh juices we had in Bali. Might go back to bed now - still a bit jet lagged.
How wonderful! I bet that was fun. I’m going to be out of pocket for awhile, but not going anywhere so exotic. I’m flying out to Arizona with my two adult daughters to visit my 94 yo aunt in Prescott. We’re hoping to see the Grand Canyon and Sedona while we’re there. I’m hoping to come back with ideas for desert inspired soap. I also have heard there are some kind of vortices associated with the Sedona area that are sacred to the Native Americans. No idea what that means, but maybe a vortex will inspire me!

Well I did it but im not happy with it. Colors didnt turn out as planned and not sure they match the scent. I def. Dont like the top but Ill have to wait and what tomorrow brings when I cut it. :confused:
Be easy with yourself, girl.

I love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Be easy with yourself, girl.

I think I was just in pain and cranky. It wasnt so bad when i cut it. Guess you cant judge a soap from its top lol

I just made another soap today, keep in mind HP tops are never as neat and tidy as CP but I think I did pretty well swirling the top for HP. this one is Cocoa-butter Cashmere. It has Vanillian so I colored the part I scented brown and let the white unscented. fingers crossed.

cocoa.jpg

I think I was just in pain and cranky. It wasnt so bad when i cut it. Guess you cant judge a soap from its top lol

I just made another soap today, keep in mind HP tops are never as neat and tidy as CP but I think I did pretty well swirling the top for HP. this one is Cocoa-butter Cashmere. It has Vanillian so I colored the part I scented brown and let the white unscented. fingers crossed.

View attachment 41138
Mmm. It looks delicious! Like a cinnamon pastry!

Back