What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Castor at just 5% ups bubbles but at 100% has no visible lather.... I guess this is a prime example of how castor oil sustains bubbles, but isn't bubbly in itself, yes @earlene?

I have a high canola oil soap hidden away somewhere.. Haven't tried it. I'm curious to see how yours feels for you.

Soapy thing: Given how my soap made with rice water is my hardest soap, considering neither lard nor the two butters amounts are not high at all, I decided to test my theory that the starches in that water contribute to a harder bar.

I'll write about it more n put together a post after I've done some more testing, aside from today's.. I need to also test longevity, but my rice soap lasts longer than a lot of my other soaps so I need to confirm that.
Do you use water from rinsing the rice?

Made a big batch of Eucalyptus Spearmint - everyone who smells it just falls in love! I can't keep it on hand. I gave some to my physical therapist today and she about fell over herself with excitement. Here's the new batch:
View attachment 41050
Also, I received an 85lb Soaper's Choice order...if you ever wondered what 50lb of lard looks like all divided up, here you go! Stick blender head for scale.
View attachment 41051

what ratio did you use if you don't mind me asking

I made my very first all lavender--HP with goats milk. its still warm in the mold. it actually smells pretty good--I think I might have been bashing lavender without reason--will see when I cut

Last edited by a moderator:
I made the Lovin Soap goat milk soap recipe....rose geranium and lavender..smells pretty nice! Made small stars for embeds also..

I have an Egyptian geranium that I want to try....after I make my batch of apricot freesia. I was going to mix the geranium with some lavender but I used it all. I read the geranium is better in the soap than OOB--I sure hope so

Banging out soap for shows in late Oct. Mainly because I added a show that I had not planned on. So just to make sure that I am not out of most of the best sellers I have to get on it .

It's an Apple Fest so obviously I need to do more of Apple Pie, Apple, and a few other Fall scents

Made a big batch of Eucalyptus Spearmint - everyone who smells it just falls in love! I can't keep it on hand. I gave some to my physical therapist today and she about fell over herself with excitement. Here's the new batch:
View attachment 41050
Also, I received an 85lb Soaper's Choice order...if you ever wondered what 50lb of lard looks like all divided up, here you go! Stick blender head for scale.
View attachment 41051
I'm curious: Do you use EO or FO for this soap?

Yes, from the rinsing. But we soak the rice after all the dirt is off so it's one of the last rinses.

The rice soap mentioned uses rice water total liquid replacement, rice puree and rice powder.
This is really intriguing! How long do you soak the rice? Is there a certain kind of rice you use?

I have an Egyptian geranium that I want to try....after I make my batch of apricot freesia. I was going to mix the geranium with some lavender but I used it all. I read the geranium is better in the soap than OOB--I sure hope so
I used rose geranium essential oil..it does make its presence known in soap!

There are a lot of scents that everyone seems to love..and I dont care for them At All..litsea, lemongrass, rose geranium, ....citronella of course....they all remind me of bug spray of some kind..so each person has their own likes and such. I Love all the conifers, even the pine that smells like the lumber aisle at Home Depot.

@Lin19687 oh look at all those pretty endcuts in front of your soaps... j/k please lose my address ;)

I got to unmold my latest rimmed soap attempt. I'm beyond thrilled with it. The buttons are CP (I had a huge embed making session in May or June to use up an odd qty of masterbatch that I had) and the rims are made with soap dough. I had to mold each individual strand (I used an actual mold, so don't think I'm a master artist) and stacked them into a round cavity mold trying not to smoosh the design but getting everything tight so it wouldn't leak. The bottom pic, you can see the two in the background had some leakage and smushing but those were my first two that I stacked, the last four that I did had no leakage and minimal smushing. I adore them. My daughter and the two nieces living with us suggested that I do a "super fruity rainbow", so I think I will let them help me with that on Sunday night. I can get the soap dough made tonight and they can help roll it and mold it on Sunday.
SO super cool!!!
Impressive work!

Cut my drop swirl done with my FAVORITE scent...lingonberry spice (BB)

I'm happy now.
15664931919858350866865389744777.jpg

Cut my drop swirl done with my FAVORITE scent...lingonberry spice (BB)

I'm happy now.View attachment 41085

very pretty indeed!!

lime and coconut day here----I made a lime in a coconut milk soap and a rosemary, lime in coconut milk. they are tucked in to gel. I was goining to make a basil batch with lemon but cant find any lemon in town so I need to order

lime and coconut day here----I made a lime in a coconut milk soap and a rosemary, lime in coconut milk. they are tucked in to gel. I was goining to make a basil batch with lemon but cant find any lemon in town so I need to order
That sounds DIVINE!!! Please post pics when you cut...
:cool:

what ratio did you use if you don't mind me asking

I'm curious: Do you use EO or FO for this soap?

I use FO, so I don't have a ratio. I'm a huge fan of the BBW scent and while Nature's Garden isn't spot on with their version, I actually prefer it to the original. I just finished up the 8oz bottle I bought around a year ago. Well worth it!! Everyone adores it.

Back