What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok these arent cleaned up yet but just after the cut, I think they came out pretty good.

View attachment 40968

those are gorgeous!!!!

@Lin19687 oh look at all those pretty endcuts in front of your soaps... j/k please lose my address ;)

I got to unmold my latest rimmed soap attempt. I'm beyond thrilled with it. The buttons are CP (I had a huge embed making session in May or June to use up an odd qty of masterbatch that I had) and the rims are made with soap dough. I had to mold each individual strand (I used an actual mold, so don't think I'm a master artist) and stacked them into a round cavity mold trying not to smoosh the design but getting everything tight so it wouldn't leak. The bottom pic, you can see the two in the background had some leakage and smushing but those were my first two that I stacked, the last four that I did had no leakage and minimal smushing. I adore them. My daughter and the two nieces living with us suggested that I do a "super fruity rainbow", so I think I will let them help me with that on Sunday night. I can get the soap dough made tonight and they can help roll it and mold it on Sunday.

WOW very intricate--they turned out awesome

ummmmmmmmmmm… I don't think I would tell non soapers this story :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What is
My recommendation is “don’t mess with a good thing.” :shakinghead: I made a batch of ZNSC last week and went into a panic when I checked the soap the next day and immediately realized that I had forgotten to use the faux sw. It finally firmed up enough to pop out of the molds, but it took 2x as long as the bars from the previous batches with faux sw. One of the bars from my first batch is in the line up of favorites in my shower. It makes a gentle, light lather that I like as much, but in a different way, as the denser creamier lathers of the lard and palm bars.
What is “faux SW”?

@Lin19687 oh look at all those pretty endcuts in front of your soaps... j/k please lose my address ;)

I got to unmold my latest rimmed soap attempt. I'm beyond thrilled with it. The buttons are CP (I had a huge embed making session in May or June to use up an odd qty of masterbatch that I had) and the rims are made with soap dough. I had to mold each individual strand (I used an actual mold, so don't think I'm a master artist) and stacked them into a round cavity mold trying not to smoosh the design but getting everything tight so it wouldn't leak. The bottom pic, you can see the two in the background had some leakage and smushing but those were my first two that I stacked, the last four that I did had no leakage and minimal smushing. I adore them. My daughter and the two nieces living with us suggested that I do a "super fruity rainbow", so I think I will let them help me with that on Sunday night. I can get the soap dough made tonight and they can help roll it and mold it on Sunday.

How on earth did you get the chain design on the sides of the soap? That is so pretty. I love the button tops too.

Amd, those are so cool and unique! Did you use a pvc...or how did you do that? I guess pvc would have mashed the sides, huh. I love this soap!

@Kae no you can't keep that color.

I won't be able to cut till tonight, still a bit soft and I don't want to get too bad drag lines :(

I did order Shea butter today since my regular place will be out till mid/late Fall :(

Thanks @Lin19687. Product of trial and error. Lol! I might try steeping the peelings and use it for lye water or some more just to experiment. Else, will have to surrender and move on to another project

Finally got thst double batch of rice soap done! Pics later.

So you did get absolutely no color lol. Better than brown I think, and the soap looks nice :)

It's like that for a lot of natural colorants.. There's a lot of info around the board if you search, and a lot of recent experiments actually, there are certain ones that will give color.

Locally we have annatto, paprika, cocoa powder, turmeric, spirulina and moringa, to name a few.. Apparently black bean powder gives blue but I haven't tried it.

@Zany_in_CO are you gonna show us cut pics? :D

Ahah! Thanks for the list. Will try my hand on everything that you mentioned. Thanks @Dawni!

@MelodyLeee and @KDP, amd mentions how she made this soap in her actual post :)

@Kari Howie here's Zany's no slime Castile using faux seawater thread :)

Soapy thing: Errr, rearranged the soap on my shelves to make space for new ones hehehe
@Kari Howie what she said! :)

I made my challenge soap today. It was challenging :rolleyes: and now I have a REALLY BIG MESS to clean up because I used every spatula and mini whisk I own, along with countless bowls, plastic and paper cups. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Its a flexible, rubber/silicon thing you can bend into a hangar swirl tool

View attachment 40972
Yes I have many. Watch it though if you have a handyman around the house he might be tempted to steal one or two!

I have been soaping for coming up to 4 years. Amazingly.
I am a messy soaper and I sometimes forget things and my pours don't always go to plan.
Today I had the best pour ever. DH said Ahhh good. So I thought I'd tell someone who cares - you! :)
Usually if I am doing something complicated I divide out the NaOH and do separate pours but I thought I'd do today's pour in one go.
I made one batch and took it just to emulsion. I spooned out 4 tblsp x 12 little batches and stirred in 12 different FOs and poured them into 24 little molds (heart shaped - 2 each so I can give one lot away). Then I poured 2 trays of embeds which require smoothing the batter over back and forth with a wide spatula to ensure all the little holes are filled. Then I put in the main FO and made 6 soaps with the left over batter.
I can't believe how well it went. I didn't forget anything, I didn't panic, I didn't rush and the batter stayed fluid AND even more incredibly there isn't much mess!
So there is hope for everyone out there because if I can do it, anyone can. Hopefully it doesn't take you 4 years!

I spent the day going through the forum and posts trying to concoct the best stain stick I can find for perspiration stains for a customer. I'm a bit overwhelmed, there's a lot of information. He brought me a tiny stub of the one he loved and used before asking me to "create it" . It has Olive Oil, CO and orange EO listed on the label. That's it. And it was HARD. No Kerosene, no turpentine or turpenoids or borax. Is this even possible to work lol.

How on earth did you get the chain design on the sides of the soap? That is so pretty. I love the button tops too.
I am not amd, but with soap dough, one can roll it out on pattered silicone fondant mats like this to get whatever design you want. There are also patterened rolling pins that can be used as well, but they take up a lot more storage space than silicone mats.

OK you wanna hear what crazy soapy thing I just now did? I was looking at a photo of a soap on my iPhone and I tried to smell it.

And did you like the scent? :lol:

I’m noticing that the average person will be doing the “sniff test” within the first few seconds when I hand them a bar of soap. Some of the experienced sellers here have posted on the importance of soap scent for selling the soap. The challenge is that buyers have widely varying preferences in scents.

Been busy with my dragonfruit trial and error for three days straight. Hah! No luck with getting a color. Might have to give up and use pink clay instead. Thinking of an ombre pattern.

Today's batch produced a similar result as attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20190818_162920.jpg
    IMG_20190818_162920.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Back