What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I was thinking about chopping off the green, too. And that’s exactly what I did.

Attachments

• 91935490-A84A-45C4-B4B7-5EFACB2E86B5.jpeg
    91935490-A84A-45C4-B4B7-5EFACB2E86B5.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 46
  • B2EDFE74-3D35-4984-979C-71E79BE54EBF.jpeg
    B2EDFE74-3D35-4984-979C-71E79BE54EBF.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Well.
This isn’t AT ALL what I was going for. The only part I like is the top. It was SUPPOSED to look kinda like leaves falling on the grass, but my colors didn’t break through the bottom layer like they were SUPPOSED to. :hairpulling::beatinghead::shakinghead:

Well I'm sorry it didn't cooperate and give you what you wanted. Coming from a place with no preconceived design in my head - I like it! And it looks like it was done purposefully to me.

2E61850C-E72A-4E8B-BB57-7F7DB6757332.jpeg 6C8C89EC-32DB-4E7B-915A-892FE811E4AA.jpeg Then I changed my mind part way through chopping off all the green part and left a sliver of green.

Oh those came out very nice! May not be the swirl you wanted, but you sure came out of it with a pretty soap for sure!!!
You’re so sweet! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first batch after 5 weeks... I wanted to try the pickle strainer method. It was all planned out in my head, then my FO caused my batter to rice and I had to struggle to get the strainer out. Maybe it'll still look OK when I cut it tomorrow? At least it smells good.

I got home from work early last night so I redid my soap dough rims with a new idea. Will see how well the idea worked when I unmold on Friday.

I still have two custom orders to do, so hopefully will get those done on Friday as well. One soap left to make for the club, and then I can work on restock / new stock for 2020.

ETA: Oh, and test out a couple of vegan soap recipes.

I have option paralysis when it comes to deciding what kind of soap to make next. The list of things I want to try is still long... honey soap, beer soap, different kinds of swirls, pours and carving techniques, shaving soap, liquid soap, and then there’s more Castile, more salt bars, and soap for the holidays. The only thing I decided today is that I need to start making my soap as smaller batches. It’s a step in the right direction.
That’s how I try several different techniques, by making 1 pound batches. It works great.

@Kari Howie I like it ! Who cares if the look or color isn't what you think it should look like based on the color. I gave up on that and try... what happens, happens :)

I got my soaps cut tonight after work. up on the rack now. Only one that I had a real plan for was the middle white with one side a black swirl. I was trying to match another batch I did (same scent) 6 weeks ago. And it TOTALLY worked out... not so much for the one on the far right side :( I had to plop that one in the mold- still shocked that the layers stuck together ;)
So see it is what it is. But your Swirl looks so much better then mine.

Oh, and it is the top row of soaps. Next row is old except the one on the far rt is also from this 8 batches- it is NOT green, it is white lol
Now to box up the ones on that 2nd row
IMG_20190815_192415681[1].jpg

@Kari Howie I like it ! Who cares if the look or color isn't what you think it should look like based on the color. I gave up on that and try... what happens, happens :)

I got my soaps cut tonight after work. up on the rack now. Only one that I had a real plan for was the middle white with one side a black swirl. I was trying to match another batch I did (same scent) 6 weeks ago. And it TOTALLY worked out... not so much for the one on the far right side :( I had to plop that one in the mold- still shocked that the layers stuck together ;)
So see it is what it is. But your Swirl looks so much better then mine.

Oh, and it is the top row of soaps. Next row is old except the one on the far rt is also from this 8 batches- it is NOT green, it is white lol
Now to box up the ones on that 2nd row
View attachment 40957
Thank you, Lin19687. I was maybe not entirely devastated, but really, really disappointed. Thank you for your encouraging words.

The dark part looks really cool though... Chop of the green if you don't like it? Then you'll have mini soaps for the bathroom sink or something.

I still think you did a good job :)
Thank you, Dawni

what the heck?? I cant get straight lines like that no matter what I do :)yes the soap looks much better with out the bottom part--very pretty. the gold reminds me of butterscotch

its been a hard lesson for me--not very many of my soaps turn out how I truly wanted them to--but they still turn out nice, not to say I don't make some butt ugly soaps but it seems soapers have a habit of being too hard on themselves

Yes we do. Of all the soap Ive made I can think of one batch I was truly happy with and it was a test batch with just 4 bars coming out of it. Havent been able to duplicate it again even using the same recipe. I think we just set super high expectations when we think of the design we want and even if it still turns out beautiful, if it doesnt match our minds picture, we are disappointed.

My first batch after 5 weeks... I wanted to try the pickle strainer method. It was all planned out in my head, then my FO caused my batter to rice and I had to struggle to get the strainer out. Maybe it'll still look OK when I cut it tomorrow? At least it smells good.
Hope it works out for you :)

First time making soap in a long time... I unmolded 3 loaves of Calendula Castile today. I had some calendula infused in sunflower oil that needed to be used up and found myself with a window of opportunity to just do it. So I did! ;)
Wait, there’s no Calendula infused sunflower oil in the recipe!!!

Latest posts

Back