What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut up some soap that I made over the weekend. The proceeded to learn all about glycerin rivers, water discounting and the use of Titanium Dioxide - and after a good days research I feel I have a much better understanding of this

Today is a day for masterbatching: EDTA at 50% done; NaOH to go. Still haven't sliced my soap yet. Soon. Sliced soap. Will postpone beveling as I am waiting for my new beveling tool due to arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Two bottles of dry lye left! Time to order more. I amazed; I have more KOH than NaOH. When did that happen? So time to complete that NaOH order.

Last edited:
Problem is, I’m not—just managing the chaos. I am always working to gain efficiency, and find that I waste a ton of time looking for things My wife would laugh at that—The other day, I was walking around the house on my phone...LOOKING for my phone. :confused: There are so many parts and pieces...base oils, colorants, fragrance, additives, molds, cutters, photography stuff, packaging, shipping supplies, not to mention the finished soap. So, stuff is crammed everywhere. Thank goodness, we’re empty-nesters, so there’s about half of our house that is basically unused. I’d like to add a sink and convert a bedroom to a soap studio, but that’s not gonna cut it in marital harmony category. I do have my eye on this one juicy walk-in closet.
I almost made my home office my soap studio and threw my work desk ito my room until my Husband pointed ut the error in my thinking..

Had my best friend of 16 years over for the weekend and we made soap together! She chose the fragrance, design, colors, and the top, and poured almost the whole thing!! She's very proud of herself and I really enjoyed getting to share my hobby with someone that means so much to me. Fresh Linen from NG is excellent for layers, by the way - sets up in a jiffy!!!

Sliced some confetti soap that I made yesterday. Used a 2lb mold for the first time, and decided on a whim to double it. 18 bars instead of the normal 4-5 that I usually do per batch.
What have I done?
Also used glitter for the first time, and it's very pretty, but I may have gotten it everywhere though...

love the addition of the purple to the top and bottom--it really adds to the confetti

Well.... I had to try out my new swirl tool that I made yesterday.

Unfortunately, I didn't get my colorants dispersed very well. That's one thing I've been struggling with, with my HP. I can't really stick blend it because it's too thick when I go to add the colorants. I've been using oxides and clays. May be time to switch to micas. Other than the clumps of colorants, I think it swirled pretty well.

Hot processed, as usual.

View attachment 39105
Gorgeous swirls!!

Sliced some confetti soap that I made yesterday. Used a 2lb mold for the first time, and decided on a whim to double it. 18 bars instead of the normal 4-5 that I usually do per batch.
What have I done?
Also used glitter for the first time, and it's very pretty, but I may have gotten it everywhere though...
I love that Amy. I'm almost ready to make some more confetti soap - got a few odd bits than need using up. I like the layers you've used, it frames the colours of the confetti very nicely.

Not a great soaping day for me. I had this big plan to pipe the top of my honey suckle jasmine soap with little jasmine flowers and then honeysuckle sprouts. Yeah, well that didnt go as planned. my batter cooled to fast so my down the wall pour was sloppy and when i went to pipe I gt almost all the white flowers done when my batter clogged the tip.. I had to transfer it to another bag and another tip. I made too much batter thinking I would make the tops higher but of course, with the difficulties, that didnt happen so I put the rest in a smaller loaf mold.,. and worse, in my panic I forgot to hanger swirl the main loaf. It will be a miracle if this turns out at all and I may wind up rebatching. I hoping the sliced tops look better than it does as a loaf.

I am a sweaty, sore, and frustrated mess today.

soap top.jpg

As always, I decide to SB just ONE more little burst............. and that is just ONE little bust too much and BLOB :oops: hope it turns out ok but I think it will go in the Oops Discount bin.
:smallshrug: Why do I have to do that? Because I like living on the edge :cool: lol

8 more batches done

had a hard time motivating today---no soap but I got a couple batches of bubble scoops done, would have done more but I am out of SLSA. at least I got laundry done

I haz pretty, swirly HP soap!
View attachment 39158
Cut pic :D

This is my "popular with the relatives" rice soap, with turmeric for added goodness, the vegan version.

@KiwiSoap, because you asked, and I noticed more people trying HP, I'm gonna write a presumptuous post on fluidity next, because I'm gonna pretend I'm not a newbie anymore lol
IMG_20190527_112449.jpg

Simple spoon swirl here, with the lighter soap poured only on one side, alternating with the darker part.

Cut pic :D

This is my "popular with the relatives" rice soap, with turmeric for added goodness, the vegan version.

@KiwiSoap, because you asked, and I noticed more people trying HP, I'm gonna write a presumptuous post on fluidity next, because I'm gonna pretend I'm not a newbie anymore lol
View attachment 39244
Simple spoon swirl here, with the lighter soap poured only on one side, alternating with the darker part.

Fluidity, I am able to achieve it in HP but it seems fickle at times. I can use the same recipe, soap at the same temp, add the same additives and one batch will behave and the others turns into Sybil or the exorcist before my eyes.

Today I made dog shampoo bars with added Neem oil, and yarrow powder, peppermint oil, citronella oil, and eucalyptus oil. This is something my daughter has asked me to make for her dogs. Supposed to help with fleas and itchy skin. It is a very strong scented soap. I did 1 batch HP with rebatched soap bars and just added the powder and oils, and another batch CP. that way she has some to use right away and the CP batch can take more time to process. Then I hopped on this site to catch up and see what was going on and of course had to see the May challenge and figured I try that too since all my soap stuff was out and I had ONE empty mold left that could be easily filled. I almost ended up with soap on a stick because my FO excelerated to quickly. But I had fun anyway and it felt good to be making soap again. I have been so busy for the past 2 months and couldn’t even think of spending a day doing MY HOBBY. So now I’m off to read more fun soapy things here.

Post on HP lessons I've learned is here.

Fluidity, I am able to achieve it in HP but it seems fickle at times. I can use the same recipe, soap at the same temp, add the same additives and one batch will behave and the others turns into Sybil or the exorcist before my eyes.
You've been my HP idol since I found you here when I was new hehehe

I noticed my ambient temps and humidity levels make a difference where I am, since I work in a partly outdoor kitchen.. The hotter and the more humid, the more fluid the soap is. So I don't soap much when it's raining haha

No science to back that up though, just something I noticed lol

Today I made dog shampoo bars with added Neem oil, and yarrow powder, peppermint oil, citronella oil, and eucalyptus oil. This is something my daughter has asked me to make for her dogs. Supposed to help with fleas and itchy skin. It is a very strong scented soap. I did 1 batch HP with rebatched soap bars and just added the powder and oils, and another batch CP. that way she has some to use right away and the CP batch can take more time to process. Then I hopped on this site to catch up and see what was going on and of course had to see the May challenge and figured I try that too since all my soap stuff was out and I had ONE empty mold left that could be easily filled. I almost ended up with soap on a stick because my FO excelerated to quickly. But I had fun anyway and it felt good to be making soap again. I have been so busy for the past 2 months and couldn’t even think of spending a day doing MY HOBBY. So now I’m off to read more fun soapy things here.

I also make Neem Oil soap for Dogs. It does have an odor to it for sure but some of my Customers swear it helps. They also ask me to add Tea Tree since they said it helps with hot spots.

I noticed my ambient temps and humidity levels make a difference where I am, since I work in a partly outdoor kitchen.. The hotter and the more humid, the more fluid the soap is. So I don't soap much when it's raining haha

Well dont read my post from today then because I had a rough HP day. :nonono:

Its been colder here than normal but also very rainy so that may be the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

That makes perfect sense to me. You know in high humidity, my skin is never dry. Humidity helps slow the process of the HP evaporation. When the surrounding air is already saturated, the steam coming off the HP soap has no where to go.

Finally got all my dry lye superbatched. I thought I was done, when I discovered another partially full bottle of dry lye and figured, why not add it to the rest. I was cleaning out & re-organizing supplies under my work table (after mopping) and decided to check my dry bucket (where I keep my lye) and realized one of the bottles I had thought was KOH, wasn't.

Latest posts

Back