What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5CBE79B7-4428-4065-845E-5C8F23832534.jpeg
Give me inspiration... scents are litsea cubeba, spearmint and a hint of cedarwood. I’m committed to a loaf mold, cut horizontally, 3 bars thick. Considered a drop swirl but 3” is a pretty deep pour to penetrate all the way through. I also thought about a Taiwan, which is where I’m leaning. If I do, would you recommend dropping the Rocco Red or brown? BTW, as someone who is color-challenged, I LOVE this Pantone app. If I do another side swirl and post a pic @Zing might show up at my house with a gun (totally legal in Mississippi, btw.)

Got to sing for a Palm Sunday program at church, then plan to put this together later tonight. Already got the oils and EO’s drawn up and the mold lined. I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks y’all. View attachment 38332
This was as dark as I could get it with the time I had. It was hard to get a lot of motion by the time I was ready to swirl, because I had messed with the color for so long. The final red choice was “Red Wine Mica.” I don't think I mixed enough color for the larger pour...first one I’ve done this big. We’ll see how gel treats it for the cut tomorrow. It did not accelerate. I was just slow. Thanks for the input.

View attachment 38343
This was as dark as I could get it with the time I had. It was hard to get a lot of motion by the time I was ready to swirl, because I had messed with the color for so long. The final red choice was “Red Wine Mica.” I don't think I mixed enough color for the larger pour...first one I’ve done this big. We’ll see how gel treats it for the cut tomorrow. It did not accelerate. I was just slow. Thanks for the input.
Love!

In another thread I said I'd just about made everything I need for personal care except toothpaste and I wasn't sure I wanted to make toothpaste. Sort of seriously, I was kinda creeped out by the idea of homemade toothpaste. Then @earlene linked me to a thread about tooth soap, which is apparently something people have done. I was intrigued. Now I'm doing a quick HP tooth soap experiment, a very small batch (SoapMaker said it was about $2 worth of ingredients) so not much of a risk. We'll see how it works out.

10% Shea Butter
60% Olive Oil
30% Babassu Oil

Plus a capsule of activated charcoal. I started by looking at @Misschief's recipe, but I adapted it for what I have on hand. Shea instead of cocoa butter. I doubled the olive since I don't have any peanut oil. And I used babassu instead of PKO, gives you similar fatty acids without using coconut 'cause Misschief said coconut soap tastes nasty. I also did 3.5:1 KOH:NaOH, I think the others who tried this all used NaOH and made a bar, but I'm going to try making it a paste sort of like my shave soap where I put it in a jar and rub with a damp brush to lather.

Worst case scenario is that I put it in my mouth, poison myself, and die. Sounds like fun.

In another thread I said I'd just about made everything I need for personal care except toothpaste and I wasn't sure I wanted to make toothpaste. Sort of seriously, I was kinda creeped out by the idea of homemade toothpaste. Then @earlene linked me to a thread about tooth soap, which is apparently something people have done. I was intrigued. Now I'm doing a quick HP tooth soap experiment, a very small batch (SoapMaker said it was about $2 worth of ingredients) so not much of a risk. We'll see how it works out.

10% Shea Butter
60% Olive Oil
30% Babassu Oil

Plus a capsule of activated charcoal. I started by looking at @Misschief's recipe, but I adapted it for what I have on hand. Shea instead of cocoa butter. I doubled the olive since I don't have any peanut oil. And I used babassu instead of PKO, gives you similar fatty acids without using coconut 'cause Misschief said coconut soap tastes nasty. I also did 3.5:1 KOH:NaOH, I think the others who tried this all used NaOH and made a bar, but I'm going to try making it a paste sort of like my shave soap where I put it in a jar and rub with a damp brush to lather.

Worst case scenario is that I put it in my mouth, poison myself, and die. Sounds like fun.
No one's ever died by having their mouth washed out with soap. ;)

Lols you might poison yourself but maybe you won't die straight away :p

I unmolded a soap I had forgotten I made lol, it's the cocoa powder soy wax leftover from the soy wax vs. lard experiment. Check out the ash!
pixlr_20190413155730671.jpg

Well did my first soapy thing in nearly 2 months now and washed all the dishes up and yes they had just been sitting for 2 months as thats last time i had the motivation to soap and have recently been concentrating on candles and melts instead. So now iv found the motivation to clean im going to tidy the crafting desk up after writing a new recipe with soy wax in make up the lye solution while its cooling ill tidy the desk then ill get to work on making some soap :dance: dont think ill be doing any fancy designs as i want to make it as simple as possible for the first time i use soy wax. WELCOME BACK TO ME lol

Where in the UK did you buy your soy wax from Chris? I am getting very confused reading the longer post on soy wax so thought I'd just go for it and give it a try. I found this on a uk site, do you think it would be OK? : https://www.aromantic.co.uk/home/products/butters-waxes/soya-wax.aspx

Where in the UK did you buy your soy wax from Chris? I am getting very confused reading the longer post on soy wax so thought I'd just go for it and give it a try. I found this on a uk site, do you think it would be OK? : https://www.aromantic.co.uk/home/products/butters-waxes/soya-wax.aspx

I got some free from a manufacture called kerax but that isnt for general sale and is expensive unless you buy like 100kg so thats what i used last night but i got a 10kg bag last week from livemoor and thats called livesoy and it states its dermatology tested and actually oks it for use in soap but im yet to try that but i am planning a few batches this week probably tomorrow as im at the moment free from anything taking me out the house but im not expecting it to be any different to the kerax one.

Ill find a link later just busy at the moment :)

I Made bath Bon Bons made with Illipe and mango butter and "The Spruce" soap. Oh, I also worked on my cupcakes for the challenge :)

View attachment 38338 View attachment 38337

Terri, that shade of green is beautiful. I had a dress that shade that I just loved way back in my youth, which I wore as often as I could until, I guess it wore out or I outgrew it, not sure which.

Good luck on your tooth soap, Nate. It will not taste as good as store bought toothpaste, but you won't be tempted to swallow it. If you have a chance to buy some xylitol and some Tums, to add to it, it does help somewhat with the taste.

It will not taste as good as store bought toothpaste, but you won't be tempted to swallow it. If you have a chance to buy some xylitol and some Tums, to add to it, it does help somewhat with the taste.

May do that next time, whenever that may be, it looks like this stuff may last quite a while. It doesn't really have much of a taste as it is, a little bit of shea butter aroma, a little bit of soapiness when I spit it out but not overwhelming. It's usable.

No one ever died by having their mouth washed out with BAR soap.

Should I not have used KOH? I'd prefer that my tooth soap not kill me.

Nate, I'd let that cure longer before using it. Even though it is safe if not zapping, I have found all fresh soap much harsher while young than after a decent cure, and the mucous membranes are much more fragile than our regular dermis.

Nate, I'd let that cure longer before using it. Even though it is safe if not zapping, I have found all fresh soap much harsher while young than after a decent cure, and the mucous membranes are much more fragile than our regular dermis.

Good to think about. I already used it once this morning and didn't find it harsh at all, though I suppose I may start to feel it after repeated use. But if this morning is any indication, it actually getting milder will make it very smooth.

I was just alarmed after the post about liquid soap killing people, since I used KOH. Is it just that liquid soap is more easily swallowed, or is there something about the chemistry that's harmful?

Good to think about. I already used it once this morning and didn't find it harsh at all, though I suppose I may start to feel it after repeated use. But if this morning is any indication, it actually getting milder will make it very smooth.

I was just alarmed after the post about liquid soap killing people, since I used KOH. Is it just that liquid soap is more easily swallowed, or is there something about the chemistry that's harmful?

I am sure it was about ingesting a large quantity, but I have not found an actual report of death by soap. Not to say that it hasn't occurred; only that I have not found one.

This poison control site has some information: https://www.illinoispoisoncenter.org/my-child-ate-soap-hand-or-body

Also this about bar soap, so some deaths by soap: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30307335

I decided to rebatch some soap. I got bored after grating 2 bars so I decided on a 1 lb batch. It melted so smooth I decided to whip it and see how light I can get it, then I thought, “ hey!, I could pipe some drop flowers for my next batch of soap” and that it where it all came to a screeching halt it cooled so fast, perfect lemon pudding to wax in the time I got 1 drop flower out of the bag! It clogged the tip, DUH! it is creamy looking wax in a pot and I am done! Who is gonna clean that up? Haha! A2FE933A-E5C4-4438-9DED-A464203C3B26.jpeg

View attachment 38343

I'm looking forward to seeing it after the cut! I love it with the red

Back