What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I should probably know these things, but I don’t. What is DB and what is soap dough?

DB in the Fragrance Oil context is Dragon's Blood by several folks here.

Soap Dough is saponified CP soap that has been kept moist so that it doesn't harden until after exposed to air. The purpose is so that designs can be in as if one is working with modeling clay. Once the sculpting is done, by exposing the soap to the open air, the evaporation of water begins and the soap will harden. We did an SMF Soap Challenge on using soap dough. Here is a link to that challenge: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/february-smf-challenge-soap-dough.69004
And the entry thread for that challenge: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/february-challenge-entry-thread.69254

Within the challenge thread, there are more links about soap dough.

Fifth time's the charm! Cut my fifth sample batch of my soaps that seem to go white...this one not as white as the other, but the prettiest of them all. Finally! I deserve some nice-looking soap!! Scent is NDA's Red Currant and Thyme.
Nice work MGM! The fragrance sounds like it would 'match' the look of the soap too. :)

I finally got round to making some little soap bars to put my little soapy flower and leaf embeds on. I think they look rather cute. Combo fragrance (I do a lot of those, depending on what's in the cupboard) Jasmine, Bergamot & Neroli FOs, with Sweet Orange and May Change EOs:
IMG_0941.jpeg
IMG_0942.jpeg

I made small temp stamps yesterday to mark my boxes with the old recipe. Then stamps a bunch of boxes, folded and put soap in them.... All while watching TV so not too bad.

Need to do more today

Well did my first soapy thing in nearly 2 months now and washed all the dishes up and yes they had just been sitting for 2 months as thats last time i had the motivation to soap and have recently been concentrating on candles and melts instead. So now iv found the motivation to clean im going to tidy the crafting desk up after writing a new recipe with soy wax in make up the lye solution while its cooling ill tidy the desk then ill get to work on making some soap :dance: dont think ill be doing any fancy designs as i want to make it as simple as possible for the first time i use soy wax. WELCOME BACK TO ME lol

Give me inspiration... scents are litsea cubeba, spearmint and a hint of cedarwood. I’m committed to a loaf mold, cut horizontally, 3 bars thick. Considered a drop swirl but 3” is a pretty deep pour to penetrate all the way through. I also thought about a Taiwan, which is where I’m leaning. If I do, would you recommend dropping the Rocco Red or brown? BTW, as someone who is color-challenged, I LOVE this Pantone app. If I do another side swirl and post a pic @Zing might show up at my house with a gun (totally legal in Mississippi, btw.)

Got to sing for a Palm Sunday program at church, then plan to put this together later tonight. Already got the oils and EO’s drawn up and the mold lined. I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks y’all.
2C972421-8D95-4F1B-A677-E622C8FCA47A.jpeg

20190414_163049.jpg haha I just finished a soap with basically the same color scheme, except it had lavender and cantaloupe in it too.....I am nervous about it cuz it was a scent that was supposed to accelerate. sooooooooo I soaped low and added water. it didn't accelerated now I am worried it was to thin--I did a drop swirl. weird swirl because I didn't save enough for the top

Last edited:
@DWinMadison I like the brown. The red looks a little dull. If you had a darker red, it would be stunning with brown, red and green. Or brown, white and dark red. But I have strange taste, so you have to listen to advice from somebody else :)

Give me inspiration... scents are litsea cubeba, spearmint and a hint of cedarwood. I’m committed to a loaf mold, cut horizontally, 3 bars thick. Considered a drop swirl but 3” is a pretty deep pour to penetrate all the way through. I also thought about a Taiwan, which is where I’m leaning. If I do, would you recommend dropping the Rocco Red or brown? BTW, as someone who is color-challenged, I LOVE this Pantone app. If I do another side swirl and post a pic @Zing might show up at my house with a gun (totally legal in Mississippi, btw.)

Got to sing for a Palm Sunday program at church, then plan to put this together later tonight. Already got the oils and EO’s drawn up and the mold lined. I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks y’all. View attachment 38332

I'm with @Rune. I'd like to see a really rich red

I
@DWinMadison I like the brown. The red looks a little dull. If you had a darker red, it would be stunning with brown, red and green. Or brown, white and dark red. But I have strange taste, so you have to listen to advice from somebody else :)[/QUOTE
ok. I’ll rethink the red. I
@DWinMadison I like the brown. The red looks a little dull. If you had a darker red, it would be stunning with brown, red and green. Or brown, white and dark red. But I have strange taste, so you have to listen to advice from somebody else :)
I'm with @Rune. I'd like to see a really rich red
thanks. I’ll pick a deeper shade

Its 1.30 and im waiting for one my cats to come in temoted to go give the soap a tiny prod to see how hard it is. I made a charcoal soap and just a mint green soap, charcoal one is scented with sandalwood and pepper. and mint green is peppermint crean which as im not sure if they are unique to the uk they were and i think still as a little sweet mint center wuth a choc coating smells yummy. nothing fancy as i was testing out 2 new recipes and both with soy wax. I think ill need to soap abit higher if i use those recipes again as they immidiatly started to clump so either it was too cool for the soy or the shea butter was 110f but with lots of sb stirring and a very short use of sb i got round it. Excited to try it out dont think ill be able to wait 4 weeks before i try it myself

Back