What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly my problem, which is why it is amazing i have finally done it! I used an FO called 'Love Spell' which is known not to discolour :)
I love the smell of Love Spell. That’s one of my favorites. I’m out of it but decided to try Bomb Shell the last time I ordered and the FO I bought seems to accelerate very quickly. I might try another brand next time. I do know that love spell will be on the list again very soon.

Exactly my problem, which is why it is amazing i have finally done it! I used an FO called 'Love Spell' which is known not to discolour :)

Love spell is so easy to work with and doesn't discolor. It holds colors beautifully. Another one that's a breeze to work with is Black Raspberry Vanilla. Even though it says it's vanilla none that I've tried has discolored at all.

Molded soapy rocks v2. So much went wrong with this batch, but once I squished them into rock like shapes, they started to grow on me. Don't worry, they are only on the bare wood for the sake of the photo :D
Soapy Rocks v2.jpg

I did it, I did it, I did it, i did it!
I

DID

IT!!!!!

I made white soap! No swirls, no colours, nothin' but pure white soap. (But I did use some TD @Hendejm).
View attachment 36229
- hendejm looks on silently as a small tear forms in the corner of his eye. She finally did it, he thought. She finally did it! We are so proud of our beloved Kiwi!

Last edited:
nice--I made a cutter that's similar--minus the bottom of it. I usually set the soap on something to get it to cut thru. I might just try to add the bottom--looks good. did you just glue the little pieces of wood down? smart move making yours longer. maybe I just need to do another one!! I had all the lumber laying around and got a deal on the guitar strings so it was around $10. I love it. I was pretty awful at cutting straight bars before. I even tried a miter box and while it helped it still wasn't good enough. have been meaning to do a round bar to see how it goes. am wondering how thin you can go with the wire? I used 016 but I work by someone that tunes guitars and one of my coworkers has been saving me all the wires that break (still long enough for my use) some of it is awful thin though.

I finished up some hpls yesterday, using a new formula.. tried thickening with some glycerin and xanthan gum, and will test later today..

Also sniffed some CP soap sitting on the curing rack as I walked by.. looking forward to making more CP soap soon, lol!

Love SPELL? More soaping sorcery!

- hendejm looks on silently as a small tear forms in the corner of his eye. She finally did it, he though. She finally did it! We are so proud of our beloved Kiwi!

@KiwiMoose can still sneak some post unmoulding decorations in...ala dot challenge. Let’s see if she resist the temptation to embellish...

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I just "window shopped" soap suppliers on the web. :p
Sorry for the delay -- here it is:

Sorry for the delay -- here it is:

That video is very helpful Meena! Thanks.
Be careful not to put micas in your dishwasher! Some folks have come up with quite a mess.
Might want to hand wash anything with remnants of colorants --unless they're food colorants maybe?
I'm a hand-washer, so this is second hand from this forum. :)

Oh, thank you Meena. I can see where micas and probably clay also could build up in the pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friday and Saturday, I received 4 boxes from different suppliers. Can I mention how impressed I am that all 4 used materials that are easily recycled or composted?

I started to whinge at the last box with what looked like Styrofoam peanuts but which melt in water! May be corn starch. Nothing in package said so I won't put them in a flower bed or compost pile/bin but I am very pleased.
They are made from starches and are biodegradable, which is the point of manufacturing them. They are also supposed to be compostable. I do not have a compost pile so I melt them down and discard the water

It took me about 4 hours, but I also stopped in between for making supper and a few phone calls.

I cracked up at this ^ part. Made you sound like SuperWoman. :D

"I just tossed off this little thing here with one hand while answering the phone with my other hand."

Last edited:
Love spell is so easy to work with and doesn't discolor. It holds colors beautifully. Another one that's a breeze to work with is Black Raspberry Vanilla. Even though it says it's vanilla none that I've tried has discolored at all.
OH? The stuff I've read says Black Raspberry and Vanilla discolours dreadfully! I've got some here incidentally - next on my list to try.

What i usually do is wash by hand then run them through the dishwasher i almost blocked my dishwasher because i just threw the stuff in with no rinsing off. Either that or i just wadh by hand and get an older tea towel and dry and clean with that, that usually get rid of any greasiness
I like to let my dirty tools set out for about 24 hours, then wipe the soap off of them wash them with dawn and I am set to go. It is less of a mess than trying to wash them when the batter is still at the oily stage. I started doing after my sink was almost clogged from the oils.

View attachment 36226 View attachment 36217 View attachment 36218 View attachment 36219 View attachment 36220 View attachment 36221 View attachment 36222 View attachment 36223 View attachment 36224 View attachment 36225 View attachment 36226
Here are a few different angles of the cutter and a tape measure next to it so you can see the size. Other than the wood, screws, wood glue and 2 hinges...The only tools I used were jig saw, drill with a tiny bit for pilot holes, Phillips screw driver, pencil and tape measure and little snips to cut the wire. It took me about 4 hours, but I also stopped in between for making supper and a few phone calls.
You clever lady!!!

Beveled some soaps over lunch. Said some sweet nothings to my dirty dishes promising them some quality time tonight. On the list for this week is lemon poppyseed soap. Can you believe I have been making soap for 5 years and have never made the classic lemon poppyseed? Time to change that.

I like to let my dirty tools set out for about 24 hours, then wipe the soap off of them wash them with dawn and I am set to go. It is less of a mess than trying to wash them when the batter is still at the oily stage. I started doing after my sink was almost clogged from the oils.

Just wack some caustic soda solution you should have plenty thatll get your drains unblocked. Im english so youll have to excuse my ignorance is dawn just washing up liquid brand name?

Iv just put all my lye and potash away from the order this afternoon while making some cappuccino candles got the technique sussed now leave to cool in my soaping room then pop em in the storage room practically outside temp in there so pretty cold in winter leave then in there half an hour and they pop right out the moulds. Clean then ready for another batch. can make about 100 votives a day if i make like this. Got some surfactant for bath bombs today so going to try making some bath bombs in next few days never had any luck with them. might make a batch of soap about Friday just trying my very best to keep busy and take my mind off other stuff going on in life that otherwise i would be fuming about. So glad i found soaping and crafts :)

Just wack some caustic soda solution you should have plenty thatll get your drains unblocked. Im english so youll have to excuse my ignorance is dawn just washing up liquid brand name?

Iv just put all my lye and potash away from the order this afternoon while making some cappuccino candles got the technique sussed now leave to cool in my soaping room then pop em in the storage room practically outside temp in there so pretty cold in winter leave then in there half an hour and they pop right out the moulds. Clean then ready for another batch. can make about 100 votives a day if i make like this. Got some surfactant for bath bombs today so going to try making some bath bombs in next few days never had any luck with them. might make a batch of soap about Friday just trying my very best to keep busy and take my mind off other stuff going on in life that otherwise i would be fuming about. So glad i found soaping and crafts :)

“Dawn” is dishwashing soap, but it is MIRACULOUS dishwashing soap. It’s the stuff (original blue) that they use to clean birds and animals who have been stuck in oil spills. Gentle but a great grease cutter. There are imitators but no substitutes IMHO

“Dawn” is dishwashing soap, but it is MIRACULOUS dishwashing soap. It’s the stuff (original blue) that they use to clean birds and animals who have been stuck in oil spills. Gentle but a great grease cutter. There are imitators but no substitutes IMHO

Doesnt help when im still in England lol but thank you for the confirmation about what it is :)

Latest posts

Back