What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great. I really like that shade of blue!

me too but it was really dominating when used as part of a multi coloured swirl so decided would best suit a duel coloured soap better maybe a little bit of green would suit it.
Think its called aqua marine blue mica or something along those lines. all the micas i have bought recently are really lovely colours much better and bolder than the cheap stuff i started out with.

I bought a small footprint bathroom caddy which is great just to pop into the corner of a room someone on here posted one they bought in the states not sure if you will have this brand there but the one i got is made by beldray. Also someone mentions ikea having a big rack good for curing or have a goosey at pinterest they have some cracking ideas for curing racks and lots of things soap related

They look great!

Thank you. And thanks for the advice you gave still aiming to use the split from side to side method too.

Set up my microwave in my front bedroom last night to make my soaping less traumatic to the cats aas they have been getting chucked outside because i was using a double boiler and having to carry hot oils up stairs and having two lazy cats getting in the way was an accident waiting to happen this way i can just keep the door shut and keep them out of harms way

Set up my microwave in my front bedroom last night to make my soaping less traumatic to the cats aas they have been getting chucked outside because i was using a double boiler and having to carry hot oils up stairs and having two lazy cats getting in the way was an accident waiting to happen this way i can just keep the door shut and keep them out of harms way

I bought a single burner induction cooktop and really like it since I can control temperature and set it specific temperatures....whereas a microwave or regular stovetop I can only set to hot, hotter, or hottest!

I bought a single burner induction cooktop and really like it since I can control temperature and set it specific temperatures....whereas a microwave or regular stovetop I can only set to hot, hotter, or hottest!

Yeah if i start selling i will get one of those but at the moment cant justify the cost of one along with what iv spent on oils butters and fo ect. microwave for me is the easiest option and you can set mine on lots of different heat settings think there about 8 different settings and its digital so i can blast it for 20-30 seconds at a time. @Misschief iv seen ones that are not induction based so you can use any pans with them

Yeah if i start selling i will get one of those but at the moment cant justify the cost of one along with what iv spent on oils butters and fo ect. microwave for me is the easiest option and you can set mine on lots of different heat settings think there about 8 different settings and its digital so i can blast it for 20-30 seconds at a time. @Misschief iv seen ones that are not induction based so you can use any pans with them
We have a regular single burner but I don't like the idea of having an extra burner on my kitchen counter (aka my soaping studio) when the stove is right beside my work station anyway. So, realistically, I don't need it. I just like the toys. ;)

We have a regular single burner but I don't like the idea of having an extra burner on my kitchen counter (aka my soaping studio) when the stove is right beside my work station anyway. So, realistically, I don't need it. I just like the toys. ;)
I totally get it! I hate clutter but love new toys and gadgets...such a quandary!

Ah right lol yeah not need in that case i live on my own and my kitchen is fine for me but gets very crampt and chaotic when i start needing stuff thats not in the room or need to put a hot empty pan somewhere. My spare room gets used mostly by the cats until i set it up for soaping iv got a lovely comfy office chair in there plenty storage granted its getting cluttered now but just needs some thoughts and action on organisation as i want to get EVERYTHING soap and candle related into there eventually so that i can declutter the rest of the house i live havung my curing soaps and candles in my living room because we they smell amazing lol so wet cat ect smells are pretty efficiently covered by the curing soaps and candles.

Out of interest where in canada are you orginally from @Misschief? My mum and dad have been over there together i think 3-4 times and have absolutly loved it. First time my mum went over with one of her brothers, was purely to do research into where her dad landed and lived ect before joining the canadian army because the british army knew he was too young to join. so he moved from england to canada to join the army by lying about his age then was shipped off to france to fight in the first world war sounds backwards i know but he lived in orphanages in england and think he was despirate just to get out. I think she just fell in love with the country after that first trip and they must of spent about 3-4 months touring the country over the space of 3-4 years. Iv got some truely amazing photos somewhere they took when they were there one was a moose belly deep in a lake having a drink thats something that is never witnessed here but might well be normal for you lol. My dads a very good photographer he taught a photography night class and even had some photos displayed at some exhibitions (i think one was exclusivley his photos) so he knows his way round a camera. And my middle name i was choosen and named after Ansel Adams who was a very famous American photographer although i spent about 29 years thinking he was German because of the name

Chris, I'm in British Columbia, way over in the west of Canada. I was born in the center of the country, in Winnipeg; my parents moved the family to BC when I was 12 and I've lived here since. It really is an amazingly beautiful country. One year, my ex-husband and I did a road trip; we drove down from our home into Washington State, then east all the way to N. Dakota. From there, we went north to Winnipeg to visit friends and then west, all the way back to home. It was an amazing trip with incredible scenery. We really do live in an amazing country.

As for moose, in my entire life, I've only ever seen one moose in the wild and that was off in the distance. I think there are more in eastern Canada than there are here in the west (not sure about that, though).

Pulled out the 2018 New Year Castiles from the cure rack. Surprised to discover that bars had warped, checked the recipe and discovered I had mistakenly done 3:1 lye water in the recipe so was no longer surprised. (3:1 works incredibly well with my regular recipe, not so much with other recipes.) They look a little wonky on the top, but the sides are pretty straight yet so I think they'll be ok. Unfortunately the uncolored bar that I did a silver mica swirl on top now looks like molded cheese. I tried one of the end cuts and the slime factor wasn't gross at all - almost nonexistent. I won't be doing a batch this year, I still have most of the 2017 New Year batch left too, so I'm pretty set for castile soap for awhile.

I've printed off my recipes and hoping to get some soap made this weekend. Coming down with the crud, thanks to my parents and grandkids but still want to get some soap made. I need to restock soooooooooo much. I am at the lowest supply I've been at in years.

As for moose, in my entire life, I've only ever seen one moose in the wild and that was off in the distance. I think there are more in eastern Canada than there are here in the west (not sure about that, though).

Ahem - KiwiMoose right here!

I've been to BC Misschief. Vancouver and Vancouver Island. Very pretty in the winter.

how do you know her pic is a drawing? she could be a 50 stone heffer and i think moose are absolutly stunning animals.

Thst sounds like an awesome trip have you been to niagra falls. ill try dig some these photos out and send them to you @Misschief

iv decoded its goung to be a week of experiments testing a recording all fo and eo into naughty and well behaved categories so i know what im working with in future not sure why its taken this long to do this. just waiting on my lye to cool down

Amazon are a bunch of idiots they banned me from leaving reviews for breach of rules but doesnt say when what rules or anything but yet it still sends me emails to ask for reviews on stuff iv bought. So i try to avoid them as much as i possibly can now plus generally stuff is cheaper via the sellers websites than on amazon. They said i cant even appeal the decision to ban me from leaving reviews and orher community features so im not going to give them my money.

I unmolded last nights soap from the loafthought it was hard.enough but inside corners pulled away. But its come out far better than i expected and definatly the best iv done yet. @Misschief i did the pour at the same time thing you suggested and then did swirls because its a narrow mold i went from each end rather from sides thank you for the tips :)
I know one thing they will ban you for is if you refer specifically to other products by name.

I know one thing they will ban you for is if you refer specifically to other products by name.

nope never did that. never swore never even gave anything a particually bad review worse thing i said was delivery was slow but other people had commented on that on the same product. Wait does it count if you say i bought this and other products from the seller then near enough copy and pasted the revuew to the other stuff. given its the same seller didnt see why that would be an issue though. Diesnt really matter anyways only thing i will buy on there now are silicone molds for soaps and candle wax dye and thats only because its half the price it is from the sellers actual website so i refuse to pay more when its coming from the same place amazon dont even stock and send it.

Done my experimenting for the night. generally happy and not surprised with the results. Its easy to see whats accelerated it was only 2 ladels full of thin trace batter so clearly some big time accelerated trace coffee one was by far the worse one

Attachments

• 20190104_010006.jpg
    20190104_010006.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 15
Hey everybody, friend was over the other day... And I made soap for her.

Balm of Gilead soap.
With cottonwood bud infused olive oil,
rice bran oil,
palma christi oil,
coconut oil,
Palm oil

Eo copaiba
Eo wintergreen

Rosemary oleo extract.

It was my fist soapy thing since November 13

nope never did that. never swore never even gave anything a particually bad review worse thing i said was delivery was slow but other people had commented on that on the same product. Wait does it count if you say i bought this and other products from the seller then near enough copy and pasted the revuew to the other stuff. given its the same seller didnt see why that would be an issue though. Diesnt really matter anyways only thing i will buy on there now are silicone molds for soaps and candle wax dye and thats only because its half the price it is from the sellers actual website so i refuse to pay more when its coming from the same place amazon dont even stock and send it.

Done my experimenting for the night. generally happy and not surprised with the results. Its easy to see whats accelerated it was only 2 ladels full of thin trace batter so clearly some big time accelerated trace coffee one was by far the worse one
I noticed a lot if that sort of stuff come from China and amazn is just used as kinda "portal" to capture sellers who dont want to risk buying directly from
Say AliExpress.com . I'm gonna get the same wait any way.. I would hope that Amazon would realize that customer review is essential component of how legit a sellers reputation is.... I would have hoped they show more common sense.

Latest posts

Back