What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still like ‘em Loralei!
Thank you! But you know, they just aren't what I had in mind.. they are more rustic, and growing on me.. I used indigo in part of the water portion, and too late, I realized that I may (and did) have some unexpected challenges...

Failure is part of learning, I guess!

Thank you! But you know, they just aren't what I had in mind.. they are more rustic, and growing on me.. I used indigo in part of the water portion, and too late, I realized that I may (and did) have some unexpected challenges...

Failure is part of learning, I guess!
I hear you. I've done two batches of soap over the Christmas break and I'm not happy with either of them. They're just not what I had envisioned. One, for sure, will be rebatched. The second batch hasn't been cut yet; it's definitely much more rustic than my other soaps. It was also a new recipe.

So what have I learned? Stick to your tried and true recipes. They're tried and true for a reason.

Here is the soap that I made yesterday - with more preparation, and at a much lower temp... it's still very soft, so I'll let it sit for another day or two before unmolding - made using pink rose clay and zinc oxide, and fragranced with bergamot, rosewood, and lavender essential oils... so far, I'm very pleased with the look (in the pot swirl)...

Attachments

• 20190102_072621.jpg
    20190102_072621.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 16
Trying to get account books squared away (I solemnly swear that I am going to find someone to do this for me in 2019... I need a drink...) so I have not had much time for actual soapy stuff. I stocked the booth at the Peddler's Market in between winter storms. I made an oatmeal, buttermilk, and honey soap - I made a slight last minute change with the fragrance. I was going to do an OMH FO, but then changed it to Honey I Washed the Kids type FO (from micas & more) because I wanted something gentle smelling but with a bit more scent. Much happier with the change (and I've pre-sold most of the batch, so it must have been the right thing to do).
hwitk.png

The stamped bars look funny in the pic because I spritzed them with alcohol before stamping, so they're still wet. I did two small test batches of beer soap, playing around with water percentages. Jarred up the annual batch of cream soap foot scrub, but haven't made labels yet. Last year's castile soap is ready to be packaged up. I would like to get a batch of charcoal soap done (I have a customer who has been patiently waiting for it), and The Perfect Man (several customers are waiting for that one too) this week, but finishing book work will take precedence. Maybe a second batch of HIWTK if it continues to pre-sell.

I also need to make a call to the dept of revenue - I ordered a few things from a maker friend of mine for Christmas gifts and she charged me sales tax on the USPS shipping. I asked her about it and she said the DOR guidelines say to charge sales tax on shipping, but I can't find anything online that says that so I'm going to call and ask - I've never charged sales tax on USPS shipping and it doesn't sound right but I'd like to know for sure. (I should clarify that I am NOT turning my friend in if what she did is wrong, I'll have the DOR email me the explanation and pass it along if needed, and she can fix it however she needs to.)

Trying to get account books squared away (I solemnly swear that I am going to find someone to do this for me in 2019... I need a drink...) so I have not had much time for actual soapy stuff. I stocked the booth at the Peddler's Market in between winter storms. I made an oatmeal, buttermilk, and honey soap - I made a slight last minute change with the fragrance. I was going to do an OMH FO, but then changed it to Honey I Washed the Kids type FO (from micas & more) because I wanted something gentle smelling but with a bit more scent. Much happier with the change (and I've pre-sold most of the batch, so it must have been the right thing to do). View attachment 34751

The stamped bars look funny in the pic because I spritzed them with alcohol before stamping, so they're still wet. I did two small test batches of beer soap, playing around with water percentages. Jarred up the annual batch of cream soap foot scrub, but haven't made labels yet. Last year's castile soap is ready to be packaged up. I would like to get a batch of charcoal soap done (I have a customer who has been patiently waiting for it), and The Perfect Man (several customers are waiting for that one too) this week, but finishing book work will take precedence. Maybe a second batch of HIWTK if it continues to pre-sell.

I also need to make a call to the dept of revenue - I ordered a few things from a maker friend of mine for Christmas gifts and she charged me sales tax on the USPS shipping. I asked her about it and she said the DOR guidelines say to charge sales tax on shipping, but I can't find anything online that says that so I'm going to call and ask - I've never charged sales tax on USPS shipping and it doesn't sound right but I'd like to know for sure. (I should clarify that I am NOT turning my friend in if what she did is wrong, I'll have the DOR email me the explanation and pass it along if needed, and she can fix it however she needs to.)

My heads completely mashed just from spending 20 minutes trying to figure out why on earth sm3 is telling one minute the batch is costing 4.50 the next screen its telling me all sorts like 21.45. All im trying to do is input some recipes so the stocks corrected or as close to correct as i can because im just testing iv lost some my notes and exact recipes but i know 99% of what iv done. Im sure i didnt have this much trouble last time i did this. I dont even drink but this might just have made me want a beer lol

Made a batch of peppermint and eucalyptus eo soap last night and just unmolded it and cut into the 2 ends to see what its like on the inside. not what i was trying to do when i made it but i actually really like the way its turned out.

Not sure my heads capible of allowing me to make another batch tonight so might just have the night off and try get sm3 sorted out or some house work done instead

Attachments

• 20190102_162119.jpg
    20190102_162119.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Chris - I think there's a SM3 thread on the forum. If you can post some clips to that thread, maybe we can help you out! It might be the difference of total batch size vs. portion size, or an inventory entry gone wonky, 21.45 per batch is alot!

Chris - I think there's a SM3 thread on the forum. If you can post some clips to that thread, maybe we can help you out! It might be the difference of total batch size vs. portion size, or an inventory entry gone wonky, 21.45 per batch is alot!

Thank you ill have a look for the thread and post up. My head isnt working very effectively today so could be something going on right infront of me that iv missed. 21.45 was the lowest number £45 was one of them too so defo summit wrong somewhere :)

I cut mine this morning and I'm happier than I thought I would be. It still looks a little rustic but I can live with it. Scented with Lemongrass Verbena FO and made with Kombucha (Scoby and liquid).

View attachment 34749 View attachment 34750
Love this @Misschief! Hey one more question - does the sugar in the kombucha make it more likely to overheat? And the colours you used - natural and green clay?

Love this @Misschief! Hey one more question - does the sugar in the kombucha make it more likely to overheat? And the colours you used - natural and green clay?
It did gel but didn't overheat. I did have it insulated, too. The colour I used was a combination of green clay and Chromium Hydroxide Green; not sure if that qualifies as natural or not.

Hey one more question - does the sugar in the kombucha make it more likely to overheat?

I don't think there's as much sugar in kombucha as you think - most of it is used up by the yeast during fermenting. There's probably more sugar in milks or beer. I've made one batch of kombucha soap (I didn't use the SCOBY because I don't trust my blender to get it fine enough to not become bug food) and it didn't heat up. Results may vary by recipe and FO used - I happened to use BCN's Crushed Ginger with no problem.

I don't think there's as much sugar in kombucha as you think - most of it is used up by the yeast during fermenting. There's probably more sugar in milks or beer. I've made one batch of kombucha soap (I didn't use the SCOBY because I don't trust my blender to get it fine enough to not become bug food) and it didn't heat up. Results may vary by recipe and FO used - I happened to use BCN's Crushed Ginger with no problem.
I agree about the sugar. This particular batch of kombucha had very little sweetness. My batch did accelerate but I'm pretty sure it had more to do with the FO than any sugars that might have been left in the kombucha.

Normally, I'd have been a bit leery about using the scoby, too, but it got pretty fine. Of a 1 -2 oz. scoby, there was less than a teaspoon that wouldn't go through my fine mesh strainer.

Gosh - where do you sell that you have to have labels, and weights specified? To shops? I buy soaps at the farmers markets here and they are all unpackaged, unlabelled, and I have no idea what's in them or what weight they are. I can get 4 bars for $10. Made in Australia - LOL. (Might I mention that since I've been making my own I have not been buying from the market)
I think the soap selling laws in NZ are the same as the UK,
And from what I have read,they are really strict,
You have to have a CPSR for every type of soap you sell.

I think the soap selling laws in NZ are the same as the UK,
And from what I have read,they are really strict,
You have to have a CPSR for every type of soap you sell.
That’s only if you’re selling commercially though.
I see that they are not regulated under NZ law unless you specify it has medicinal purposes (E.g. curing eczema). If so, you would need a licence. However, if your customer reviewed the product and said, say, “it helped my eczema” then that is ok.
It is expected that you would provide contact details on your labelling. However, whenever I’ve bought soap at craft markets it’s sold unwrapped, with no labels or list of ingredients. I don’t think it’s regulated, but if, as a purchaser I requested contact details and/or an ingredient list and it was refused, I could technically report the seller to the appropriate authorities.

Today I am going to cleanup the edges of the 6 batches of soap I made over the last week.

I’m also on the hunt for a curing shelf/rack. I may end up building something instead.

Finally - I’m working towards moving my soaping “studio” out of the garage and into a back unused room under our Airbnb. It’s a big room with views to our pool and the lake...don’t know why I didn’t start in there. There is no ac so I may have to put in a window unit in once summer arrives here in Florida!

Back