What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@JanelleTrebuna I saw your post on Instagram this weekend, and I thought about mentioning it then - but also didn't want to give the impression of publicly scolding you - I'm not scolding! Even with plastic coated wire, still put down some kind of protection. I'm using rug hooking mats that I found at Hobby Lobby. They raise the soap up off the rack and still let it breathe. Plus, when they get dirty you can swap it out until you have time to clean it (or trim & toss it if it is something gone way wrong). The plastic coating on shelves can get scratched or damaged, which may affect your soap when exposed to that area. Covering with another layer is just extra precaution.

@JanelleTrebuna I saw your post on Instagram this weekend, and I thought about mentioning it then - but also didn't want to give the impression of publicly scolding you - I'm not scolding! Even with plastic coated wire, still put down some kind of protection. I'm using rug hooking mats that I found at Hobby Lobby. They raise the soap up off the rack and still let it breathe. Plus, when they get dirty you can swap it out until you have time to clean it (or trim & toss it if it is something gone way wrong). The plastic coating on shelves can get scratched or damaged, which may affect your soap when exposed to that area. Covering with another layer is just extra precaution.

Once again iv been educated didnt know that about the plastic coating but suppose it makes sense. @amd can you use non stick coated racks (brand new) without anything underneath? it doesnt say what the non stick coating is but it surely wont be metal? some kind of plastic. Iv not bought them yet wanna make sure they would be safe first

It's a precaution measure against unnoticed knicks and scratches. I cover mine - new or old. I've had damaged items new out of the box (not just talk about soap curing racks here, but things in general). I make too much soap to lose it to exposed metal that I didn't notice.

Oh, thank you. I didn't know that. I thought that the plastic was enough protection. I was formerly using metal baking racks and I did get some orange dots on my soap. Would parchment paper work?

@amd those ARE very cute looking vday soaps! And I just love your dead sea mud soap, I'm kinda partial to it.

@JanelleTrebuna, I'm also getting dangerously close to not having enough space lol and I'm wishing I had any room to rearrange coz I foresee me making soap for many more days to come lol

@Loralei, I unmolded one hehe decided to let them sit in the mold in the hopes that the pattern will come through
_20181218_005653.JPG

I agree the vday soaps you did amd look lovely. do you do anything like a veterans day themed soap (do you have a veteran's day)? We have an armed forces day that they make a big thing of at the local rugby club, red arrows display and paras landing inside the stadium then one of them presents the match ball to the ref. They have a local home match every year on armed forces day oh think theres a military brass band there too. But its also made into a family fun day for the kids. Then of course a minutes silence before kick off. oh and they had milatary artillery by the players tunnel too.
Im kinda thinking out loud here but when making things like amd has done could you shape a metal wire in the shape of a heart insert at the end and drag along in a thin trace batter multi coloured in a loaf? If you had the wire and the end of it went straight up then you could have the top as you look at the loaf then what is to bottom of the loaf you would have as the top of the soap?

Onto what iv done today well not much iv unmolded my latest batch didnt turn out as id hoped but definatly not the worst batch iv made. Also tajen my coffee soap off the curing shelf read to be wrapped when i have the time and energy or bordom kicks in. Going to go up and weigh out for another batch. im determined to make another successful swirl soap before the end of this week.

This weekend: Cut and stamped the dead sea mud soleseife. Really happy with how it turned out.
View attachment 33996
Also made my vday soap. Very unhappy with my calculations. I wanted very clean even lines, but the calculations were off so I didn't have enough soap to make a complete layer. I probably would have been better off winging this one. And then the soap went through a hot gel, so the mp embeds look weird now (at least they look weird to me). Overall though, I think it's a cute soap and smells great.
View attachment 33997
I love both of them!

Oh, thank you. I didn't know that. I thought that the plastic was enough protection. I was formerly using metal baking racks and I did get some orange dots on my soap. Would parchment paper work?

I've used paper in the past on coated racks and it turned out not to be thick enough, so it would depend on the paper (and also how reactive the wire is).

Personally I tend put my soaps on a solid surface (like a wooden board, but even cardboard would work) first, and then use thick cotton as a liner (old fashioned pure-cotton tea-towels are great for small batches - the material is thick, the cotton is resistant to lye, and the cloth breathes a little and wicks away moisture) to avoid build-up of moisture.

The bonus is that cotton can be washed and re-used :).

Nice! I love the color on that! And yes, I still do see a pattern :D

@Lorey, nice! Have you always done fluid HP? Does any of your soap warp after some time?

I tried @Chris_S recipe with beeswax after some tweaks... It was a dream to soap with and stayed nice n fluid til the end. I'm guessing it's from all the sugars keeping it hot.

Once again, I deemed it fluid enough for individual molds, so let's see what they look like after. I'm hoping for even just a shallow impression *fingers crossed*
View attachment 33820 View attachment 33821

Hi Dawni
Ive done all soap making , CP, Hot Process, Stick Blender Fluid Hot Process, Liquid soap..I love it all I love the way the soap feels with the stick blender fluid hot process, and no I have never had any warping with it, just a nice bar of creamy bubbly soap. Oh Yeah, How did your soaps turn out? I hope your happy with them.

Last edited:
just made a batch with strawberry fo. i added the fo a bit earlier than normal this time and i know it definatly behaved last time i used it. This time however im guessing this is what ricing looks like but was pretty big chunks bigger than rice definatly. but this happened after i added the fo? Can this be a cause of ricing? Im going to reseach it tonight or tomorrow but if there are any other ideas of what could of happened or solution would be greatly appriciated advice.

Edit
After a brief bit of research iv found out why this could be so i will in the morning start a threaad on the recipe feedback area and hopefully ill be able to get some more ideas and options from all the knowledge floating about on the forum :)

Last edited:
Hi Dawni
Ive done all soap making , CP, Hot Process, Stick Blender Fluid Hot Process, Liquid soap..I love it all I love the way the soap feels with the stick blender fluid hot process, and no I have never had any warping with it, just a nice bar of creamy bubbly soap. Oh Yeah, How did your soaps turn out? I hope your happy with them.
I only once tried that and my blender didn't like it, and maybe I miscalculated the water but those soaps are now leaning slightly to the side lol

It's a new day for me here and I unmolded more soap while having coffee hehe.. Far from pretty soaps, but I like that I'm able to use individual molds with my HP recipes
_20181218_080740.JPG _20181218_081227.JPG

Glycerin Bastille Liquid Soap, but my KOH solution took me a lonnnngggg waiting time for it to dissolve. Got no patience after one hour and toss everything in, cook for 1 hour and make peace with it.

Weighed out a batch of oils while waiting for my tea to cook. Just need to sort the lye then got to making it after i let my tea settle doctors advised i shouldnt get over excited too close to eating, just because im special like that.

The fo accelerated AGAIN this is getting boring now. Iv used that fo before and dont remember it accelerating but oh well made a note about it this time i think i just about saved it but should know in the morning if its presentable. Rinsed everything off and threw it all in the dishwasher to properly clean.

Input this and my last 2 batches into sm3 ended up sat at the desk swearing like a trooper because it was really confusing me. So i gave up on that and just for @shunt2011 i edited the cigar labels she told me were wrong the other day. Hope your happy now shunt ;):p

Does anyone here who sells in america do a nice apple scented soap? A friend who lives in america asked me if i would sell her an apple scented soap obviously i cant but i said i would ask here maybe via etsy or an independent website that i could send her a link too?
LOL Nicely done! To make things easier you can just list your fragrance and additive with the rest of the ingredients. But you did a great job.

LOL Nicely done! To make things easier you can just list your fragrance and additive with the rest of the ingredients. But you did a great job.

Thank you im pleased how they turned out :)

I actually think i prefer them like that. If i was to use like 4 different micas would i have to put them all by colour? or just mica powder be ok?

Thank you im pleased how they turned out :)

I actually think i prefer them like that. If i was to use like 4 different micas would i have to put them all by colour? or just mica powder be ok?
I list mica sometimes when gifting or donating. Mostly I list what the colorant consists of..... TD, FD&C23 etc...

I list mica sometimes when gifting or donating. Mostly I list what the colorant consists of..... TD, FD&C23 etc...

Ok will look into that iv never looked into what mica powders even are made with.

Ooooh, I love it!!! Of course, being a beekeeper, I love anything with bees... I think you did a fantastic job, @Dawni !

I think i deserve a bit of credit given she worked with my recipe although adapted ;) all @Dawni did was do a few guesses and i hope this works and bosh done.

Beekeeper here too @Loralei mine are reet cranky this time of year gotta go check on them tomorrow not my usual excited self in the thought of dealing with them.

I cant believe I didnt buy these bows long ago. It was taking me so long to tie bows myself and they were always crooked. This was sooooo much easier. Im packaging Christmas presents tonight and these are my soap bags. (Ingredients weight logo etc are on the back)
View attachment 34369 View attachment 34370

They look beutiful

Made another batch cant sleep again so as i made a batch of oils up yesterday when i couldnt sleep yesterday. So tried a different fragrance and although it did accelerate it wasnt nearly as bad as the last few batches so got a pretty decent chance to make a swirl or at least i tried. Took a quick snap sprayed with alcohol before wrapping it in me bubblewrap then towels and put it in the wardrobe to hopefully gel

Attachments

• received_793855674281231.jpeg
    received_793855674281231.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back