What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes it pink grapefruit? I like white grapefruit?
Pink grapefruit are much sweeter than normal grapefruit. Maybe the blood orange is the same thing to an orange as the pink grapefruit is to grapefruit?
Citrus_paradisi_(Grapefruit,_pink)_white_bg.jpg

Well....I'm waiting for the very first 5 batches of soap to cure...My grand daughter has dwarf goats & she wanted to make goat soap....so....since she's not been bred yet so we can milk her, we use evaporated goats milk...anyone here familiar with making goats milk...?...I've noticed a more caramel color to it & the fragrances aren't very strong...pretty weak if you ask me...But what can I say...I've noticed that some work off of percentages & I'm working off of ounces...is there a difference in how the soap comes out...? Sorry for all the questions, just have so many ????? :) Thanks

Well....I'm waiting for the very first 5 batches of soap to cure...My grand daughter has dwarf goats & she wanted to make goat soap....so....since she's not been bred yet so we can milk her, we use evaporated goats milk...anyone here familiar with making goats milk...?...I've noticed a more caramel color to it & the fragrances aren't very strong...pretty weak if you ask me...But what can I say...I've noticed that some work off of percentages & I'm working off of ounces...is there a difference in how the soap comes out...? Sorry for all the questions, just have so many ????? :) Thanks

Im basing this on a fairly limited and new knowledge so i may well be wrong. Iv made a few batches with goats milk in. There are a few different methods you can use the one i use is to freeze the milk then take it out the freezer about half an hour to an hour before making the solution up so its slightly mushy. Then i have a small spoon which i use to scoop the lye out of the cup i measured it in. after each teaspoon os added i use a silicone spatula to stir and wait until that spoonful has disollved the way i work out if it has dissolved is to sort of scrape the bottom with the tip of the spatula therefore bringing any undilsolved lye to the edge of the glass where i can see it. milk when milked with lye can turn an odd colour my furst batch turned a sort of cheese coloured yellow. since then i have added colour so its not noticable. you could use titanium dioxide to colour it white iv it changes colour. or you could mix a 50-50 lye solution. I dont use this method so instead of giving you inccorect advice ill let someone else explain. I know the @amd uses this method and would prob be happy to help. :) Hope this helps you.

Checked my cure dates for soaps on the cure rack. The pine tar Dragons Blood soap that I made for my son is 4 weeks old now. I got a bar of DB for him from my soaping buddy Katie (we did a swap) so I'm leaving them on the cure rack for a few more weeks before I package them. Most of my other soaps have two weeks before they're ready.

Today I'm figuring out the quantity pours for my valentine's soap. I want to do 3 thick colored layers with a thin white line in between. Lots of math to figure out how much soap I need for each layer. (I'm too anal to "wing it", I like to have numbers to work with on these types of projects.)

I got a new hanger tool that I'm excited to try, so I might plan a hanger swirl soap for tonight. Maybe do some cleaning in the soap lab. Anyone else feel like this is a never ending job?

When ready to use your GM I highly recommend the split method. Unless you've got the time it takes to freeze your milk only to a slushy state. Then add your lye a little at a time. Many of us prefer the split method. I mix my lye with at least an equal amount of water. I add my milk to my warmed oils, blend it well then add my cooled lye mixture. No burning, no waiting (except to cool).

Salt bars are famous for getting ash for some reason. That's the only time I get ash for the most part. I cover mine and spray several time but still seem to get it sometimes.
These weren't the salt ones Shunty - it was the ones I made previously - Rosemary and Citrus. I used real lemon juice in the water. Now I'm rushing off to spray my salt bars in case they get soda ash. :)

Started to transfer all my soaping stuff to my moap cave. Now i just need to sort some boxes so all my stuff to stay in while not in use thats tomorrows job along with tidy the room and moving all the oils and butters up there ready and of course tidy the room ready. and maybe just maybe making a batch once thats done.

The room needs decorating do i do that before i make it my soaping room feels like a lot of work just thinking about stripping all the wallpaper under coating the bare plastered areas and then of course painting it. was going to wallpaper it at least with backing paper to hide any imperfections but iv never wall papered before and it sounds like a skill i would be terrible at but think im amazing of course lol. Opinions on a postcard please ;):)

Rcvd my first individual molds today. Looking fwd to testing them this weekend. No more raggedy milk carton bars!
Oooh but I love raggedy milk carton bars! There all I had.. Til today nya haha.. My loaf molds got delivered today hehe but I'm still gonna use my milk cartons.

Salt bars are famous for getting ash for some reason. That's the only time I get ash for the most part. I cover mine and spray several time but still seem to get it sometimes.

My two soleseife CP batches also have lots of ash, one more than the other. So much that you can't see the green til it's wet, then only the grey disappears.

I calculated several batches today, some CP but most HP, in the hopes that I can go out n get coconut oil tomorrow so I can soap. Wanted to use my new molds but they'll have to wait.

I also did a lot of counting and rearranging.... Most mini soaps will go to family as gifts, so they can test them for me hehehe. Some have been curing more than a month, some I'll attach a not saying "best to use by..."

Not done much today as had a terrible night last night but while i was fighting my demons last night i made this just something i quickly made up on pc. Its only for when i give them as gifts makes them look more professional im pleased with the work especially as it only took about half an hour to make. Sorted some of the jars ect i use to store my oils before making a batch in my new soaping area and put some stuff into drawers. Cut into my latest batch but it appears to be too soft still and left drag marks so decided to leave it another day or 2 to harden up and hopefully it wont ruin any more bars. It has got soda ash which i think os first time iv ever had that but i did only get it to thin trace so guessing that could be why i need to find the alcohol spray bottle for next time

Attachments

• IMG-20181212-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20181212-WA0000.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20181212-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20181212-WA0002.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 36
Not done much today as had a terrible night last night but while i was fighting my demons last night i made this just something i quickly made up on pc. Its only for when i give them as gifts makes them look more professional im pleased with the work especially as it only took about half an hour to make. Sorted some of the jars ect i use to store my oils before making a batch in my new soaping area and put some stuff into drawers. Cut into my latest batch but it appears to be too soft still and left drag marks so decided to leave it another day or 2 to harden up and hopefully it wont ruin any more bars. It has got soda ash which i think os first time iv ever had that but i did only get it to thin trace so guessing that could be why i need to find the alcohol spray bottle for next time

Just a little FYI, when labeling ingredients you should list them in the order of use from highest to lowest. Less than 2% order doesn't matter.

You can wash them or steam the ash off them.

Just a little FYI, when labeling ingredients you should list them in the order of use from highest to lowest. Less than 2% order doesn't matter.

You can wash them or steam the ash off them.

I wasnt really doing it for the purposes of being right i was just having a play and i cant see people getting them as gifts would be bothered or even know that but i will keep that in mind thanks @shunt2011 is that an internationally standard thing though?

I had heard that about steam getting soda ash off and had done a bit of research about it earlier too but thank you for mentioning it :)

Last edited:
Those labels and the soaps look very nice. I decided to do the same for the soaps I'm gifting to family this year for Christmas. I even thought up a name--although I probably won't ever sell professionally, I thought it was a cute added touch. Dh is making up labels for me to wrap my soaps in.

Janelle

I wasnt really doing it for the purposes of being right i was just having a play and i cant see people getting them as gifts would be bothered or even know that but i will keep that in mind thanks @shunt2011 is that an internationally standard thing though?

I had heard that about steam getting soda ash off and had done a bit of research about it earlier too but thank you for mentioning it :)

Yes it’s an international standard.

You can use a steam iron to steam sofa ash. Easier to prevent it - spray with isopropyl alcohol, cover soap and don’t open for a few day if possible.

Yes it’s an international standard.

You can use a steam iron to steam sofa ash. Easier to prevent it - spray with isopropyl alcohol, cover soap and don’t open for a few day if possible.

Ah didnt realise it was an international thing. Ill definatly bear that in mind as i said these were just a little mess round and not selling so wont matter but i also only printed one off so i might well change it just so its right. Yeah i knew about the alcohol spray bit but didnt realise keeping them covered would help stop it although that doesnt surprise me from what i read up about it before im going to make a wooden lid for my mold boxes in that case then.

Decided i hadnt done enough today given its past 8pm so just did this with my new soaping space.

And bit scruffy edges but this is the end piece of my lastest batch

Attachments

• 20181212_200123.jpg
    20181212_200123.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20181212_151346.jpg
    20181212_151346.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 31
I'm finishing up a liquid soap base ( different than yesterdays)... and infusing THC into coconut oil for salve... and maybe soap. ( its legal here in Maine). Someday I will tell you why I am making so much liquid soap and will probably embark on the amazing shave soaps I saw here. It's Ironic as the bottle free soap co.... I accidentally ordered a case of Potassium hydroxide when I meant to order a case of sodium hydroxide... there is the story. Mine are much less interesting than yours. lol. Hope you are all doing well.

Latest posts

Back