What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I decided a take at Irishlass liquid Soap.. I have made MP soap before several time and all went well..
dont know why it taking so long.. to turn to paste.. I started this process at 11am.. in a crock pot.. and it is almost 8pm and all I have a a syrup locking liquid with froth.. ?;)

A wall of charcoal lavender teatree oil..luxer oil was jojoba
IMG_20181107_181032.jpeg

And then I made two batches of Foaming Mud Mask. I now have three varieties... Jasmine Mint, Sensual Sandalwood, and Cool Cucumber. The recipe is from DIY Bath & Body on Etsy.

View attachment 32988
I am not sure Optiphen will properly preserve a wet clay product. They are one of the hardest to preserve...I have seen that recipe and backed off from it. Maybe enough surfs will hold it but I simply do not trust clay.

Ordered more soap-lies hehehe
That's what my teenager called them when he saw me putting in an order for NaOH and other stuff.
Got some candelila wax too. Not a soapy thing, but was thinking of making a balm coz I got sent some tamanu and moringa oils and I didn't feel it was practical to use them in soap.

bevel and wrap a couple batches for a show today. Didn't know I was so low in them.
Oh and I have a Holiday show today from 2-8pm ! I can be there at 11 to set up. Not that I need that much time but nice to get it out of the way.

(Have I mentioned how excited I am to make pine tar soap next week??) Packed for the show this weekend. I'm cramped on space using someone else's vehicle, so I had to cut back on stock. Made lip balms and packaged them. Need to get them shipped tomorrow morning. Edited videos. Have one new listing to get posted. Checked inventory, now need to make sure everything is up to date online. Super excited to do my last show for the year this weekend. I'm tired of the hustle. Looking forward to not doing any shows until next June. Imma just chill.

(Have I mentioned how excited I am to make pine tar soap next week??) Packed for the show this weekend. I'm cramped on space using someone else's vehicle, so I had to cut back on stock. Made lip balms and packaged them. Need to get them shipped tomorrow morning. Edited videos. Have one new listing to get posted. Checked inventory, now need to make sure everything is up to date online. Super excited to do my last show for the year this weekend. I'm tired of the hustle. Looking forward to not doing any shows until next June. Imma just chill.
Let me know how the pine tar soap goes. Ive been toying with the idea for a few months just havent taken the plunge yet.

I made Pink Berry Mimosa soap and spilled almost an ounce of it (FO) all over my table. smells really good in here but not sure I want it to ALWAYS smell like this...

Welcome back @earlene you were sorely missed around here! I think you're feeling pretty normal for just having taken a big vacation - I can only imagine all the amazing experiences you had! Catch up on your sleep, stay hydrated, and get back to regular life and hopefully your spirits will lift.

Things didn't go as planned for my show this weekend, so now I am not going which gave me a free day to run some errands - one of which was sourcing pine tar. I am so excited for soapmaking this weekend! I'm also going to take a second stab at shampoo bars, making a few tweaks to the first recipe. Another experimental recipe for me will be an emulsified sugar scrub that Shari was kind enough to share with me. I've never made this before, but my sisters might like it so I'll try it out on them. One sister did ask me for a lotion bar, she saw them at a craft show, so I'm going to do some tinkering with that. I think I tried making them once but I didn't like them (too much coconut oil I suspect), but now I know alot more and have a lot more ingredients available so hopefully that translates to more success!

Just poured m&p with Forever Young "blossom" oil and some of my new mica powder. :)
View attachment 32926

These are beautiful! Did you use a mold for the Cross?
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. My sweet Samoyed passed away and I have been in a slump lately. To answer your question I used a cookie cutter I bought from Etsy. Before I cut them out after rolling out the soap dough I pressed a wood-like impression mat into the dough to make it look like wood, "The Old Rugged Cross".
I sprayed the impression mat with 91% alcohol to serve as a releasing agent.

Terri E,
Those are absolutely gorgeous. :)
Thank you Janelle :)

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. My sweet Samoyed passed away and I have been in a slump lately. To answer your question I used a cookie cutter I bought from Etsy. Before I cut them out after rolling out the soap dough I pressed a wood-like impression mat into the dough to make it look like wood, "The Old Rugged Cross".
I sprayed the impression mat with 91% alcohol to serve as a releasing agent.

Thank you Janelle :)

My favorite of all the songs my Dad would sing was him singing 'Old Rugged Cross'. It brings tears to my eyes, that memory. I do appreciate your soap more, knowing the backstory.

View attachment 33112
Just finished canning 15+ quarts of Bear tallow
OMG, 15 quarts of bear tallow! Who is the bear hunter? How scary it must be to hunt a bear? I wouldn't want to be anywhere near. In my all time favorite video game, Red Dead Redemption, I hunt bears, but it's only a game. But even then, my heart races, my hands sweat, I turn and race away on my horse in fear when I hear the bear coming. It takes all my will power to build up to facing down a bear in that game. In reality it would be totally impossible for me to face a bear with intent to kill. I'd probably end up mauled to death myself.

My favorite of all the songs my Dad would sing was him singing 'Old Rugged Cross'. It brings tears to my eyes, that memory. I do appreciate your soap more, knowing the backstory.

Thank you Earlene, I appreciate your comment.

My husband used to hunt but he has friends at work that hunt the bear but this batch came from a friend I work with, her husband is a big hunter. We are so overpopulated with bear here in the mountains and the hunters keep them in check. It would be frightening to hunt bear because they are very dangerous but these mountain boys hunt with hound dogs and side-by sides. They can chase a bear for miles. Bear tallow makes wonderful soap, I use it quite often to make soap.

Cut my amberwood soap and I love it. It smells great and looks prettier than in this picture. Got a craft bazaar coming up at work so I have to get ready packaging stuff. My soap is still soft but getting hard around the edges so I'm hoping it will cure nicely because I really love this soap!

amberwood soap.jpg

Just finished up a batch of Cool Citrus Basil and another of White Tea & Ginger! I'll post pictures after the cut tomorrow. Nice to get a couple of wins under the belt after my stinky stinky neem oil soap :( Still holding out hope that it'll quit smelling after a good long cure.

Back