What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whipped up some of my cream soap base in order to make some salt scrub. I have no luck with foaming bath base so going back to my original cream soap based scrub.
1022181233_HDR[1].jpg
Tweaked my E Stick labels so will get them labeled.

I am panicking with all I have to do before my big craft fair starting the day after Thanksgiving. Will be returning next week I think to the parents. Wow, I am not even sure how long I have been home, but I think Thursday makes week 2. Guess I will be hauling a lot of soap to the parents to get it labeled :(

I made another batch of bath bombs. this time playing around with embeds and my moon press.

I used them in the bath last night and wasn't super impressed. the embeds didn't explode out as intense as i had hoped - but i did have some trouble with them expanding in the ice tray while setting. though they are now rock hard.

I'll try some of the others later this week that have 2 or more embeds inside.

I only make them for personal use and i have fun making them :p

Attachments

• IMG_20181021_184034.jpg
    IMG_20181021_184034.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20181021_184041.jpg
    IMG_20181021_184041.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 16
Whipped up some of my cream soap base in order to make some salt scrub. I have no luck with foaming bath base so going back to my original cream soap based scrub.
View attachment 32711
Tweaked my E Stick labels so will get them labeled.

I am panicking with all I have to do before my big craft fair starting the day after Thanksgiving. Will be returning next week I think to the parents. Wow, I am not even sure how long I have been home, but I think Thursday makes week 2. Guess I will be hauling a lot of soap to the parents to get it labeled :(

That looks amazing!

Made a batch of soleseife last night and cut it at lunch. I have a few salt crystals in the soap that didn't get dissolved fully. This was not a problem with my first 3 batches, so I suspect that the cooler room temps are the cause. It gives the soap a neat affect, it's scented with Sun & Sand FO, so the light texturing actually works with the soap theme. I have another soleseife to do, so I will try warming up the water before adding the salt and see if that helps.

Tonight I am going to get another desk lamp so that I have two for lighting pictures, and then doing a photo shoot for online listings. Packaging the brewery's first round of soaps, and hopefully getting done in time to make another soap.

Daughter has been wanting to learn to crochet, so we have been spending lots of time on YouTube figuring it all out since Saturday. It's a slight relearning for me, when I was 12 or 13 my grandma taught me enough that I could make a baby blanket and then I ditched it. I wish she was still here so much, she was a really good teacher - and I am not one. So this little project is sucking up alot of free time this week. Daughter wants to make her brothers monogrammed matching sweaters for Christmas - she might have her mother's sense of humor because we both crack up just thinking about it. Probably a good thing I'm stepping away from soapmaking for awhile!

I learned a valuable lesson today. After blending until my poor stick blender was crying out in agony and about burn up and I still had not acheived even a light trace, I looked over and saw the lye solution still sitting in the measuring cup! Turns out you can blend until the cows come home, but if you don't actaully add the lye to the oils, you will never get to trace! Who'd a thunk it!
I would have caught that a lot sooner if I hadn't added cream to this particular batch, so it had that creamy light yellow color and texture!
But all's well that ends well, I did eventually create a so far seemingly successful batch of creamy latte soap!

I learned a valuable lesson today. After blending until my poor stick blender was crying out in agony and about burn up and I still had not acheived even a light trace, I looked over and saw the lye solution still sitting in the measuring cup! Turns out you can blend until the cows come home, but if you don't actaully add the lye to the oils, you will never get to trace! Who'd a thunk it!
I would have caught that a lot sooner if I hadn't added cream to this particular batch, so it had that creamy light yellow color and texture!
But all's well that ends well, I did eventually create a so far seemingly successful batch of creamy latte soap!
LOL I did that once as well. It took me a long time to figure out what was going on too.

Daughter has been wanting to learn to crochet, so we have been spending lots of time on YouTube figuring it all out since Saturday. It's a slight relearning for me, when I was 12 or 13 my grandma taught me enough that I could make a baby blanket and then I ditched it. I wish she was still here so much, she was a really good teacher - and I am not one. So this little project is sucking up alot of free time this week. Daughter wants to make her brothers monogrammed matching sweaters for Christmas - she might have her mother's sense of humor because we both crack up just thinking about it. Probably a good thing I'm stepping away from soapmaking for awhile!
Wish I lived by you to help her. She might want to think a bit about wanting to make sweaters, they are not very easy. Maybe make them some matching scarves. Lionbrand.com has some free easy scarves for beginners.

Gremlins came to visit me again when I decided to make another batch of cream soap. It started coming together after about 30 min although a layer on the bottom stayed quite liquid after 1 hr cooking it became more liquid :beatinghead:after 2 hrs it was no different than an emulsified soap batter. Being one to not give up and not in the least scientific I decided to add in some NaOH solution until it decided to come together. I not have a zapless soap with a lot of water in it :D Funny part is, it is a very nice feeling tomato soap. No fragrance because I did not want to waste more ingredients

I am thinking my big bucket of KOH is not good, it is getting old but is in a tight sealed bucket. I ordered new KOH yesterday so off to hazardous waste the bucket will go. I purchased a 55 lb bag a few years ago when I thought I would make a lot of LS, but I found it did not sell well for me.

Last edited:
Today I decided to use a FO that was labeled from Brambleberry as mild acceleration. I thought OK I can deal with that. I had been wanting to use it. So I let my oils and lye sit and carefully planned my design and mica's and organized everything - did a split method coconut milk soap and proceeded. In less then 3 minutes the batter was unworkable. I had poured all my colors for a "clyde slide" by the time I got all the layers ready to pour into the mold it was unpourable. I just plopped it in and Ill see tomorrow the mess I have. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

@redhead1226 It may come out.
I had one that I glopped into the mold, then pretended like I knew how to swirl in it. Turned out to be a great swirl !! Which kinda stunk because It was an Autumn Leaves kind of scent and the sides glopped looked like colored leaves piled on the ground. I had wished it looked like that inside. Oh well, Smile and soap, just smile and soap.

Camphor eucalyptus poppy seed top
Charcoal pencil line
Orange wax/patchouli, annatto.
Oo, Po, Co,Castor, sunflower
IMG_20181025_204053.jpeg

"Dr Pepper" soap
Ghiladeli cocoa powder
Bitter almond FO, balsalm of Peru resinoid, cinnamon.

And the basics again
CO,OO,PO, Castor, Sunflower
IMG_20181025_204432.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I ha a great idea for a soap design for the fragrance "Pink" Reviews were great and I had something happen that has never happened to me making HP soap. Yogurt was in, all nice and fluid,color in... I add fragrance and it accelerated like it was being chased by the cops. it was becoming almost wax like. I smacked it down as hard as I could, even pushed it down in the mold. Top is crumbly and it remains to be seen how this will turn out but i Guarantee it wont be what I was planning. I went out to try and do a review from where I got it and was surprised,the reviews were locked.

Well, I ha a great idea for a soap design for the fragrance "Pink" Reviews were great and I had something happen that has never happened to me making HP soap. Yogurt was in, all nice and fluid,color in... I add fragrance and it accelerated like it was being chased by the cops. it was becoming almost wax like. I smacked it down as hard as I could, even pushed it down in the mold. Top is crumbly and it remains to be seen how this will turn out but i Guarantee it wont be what I was planning. I went out to try and do a review from where I got it and was surprised,the reviews were locked.
Maybe you could review it in this forum's FO review page.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/fragrance-oil-review-chart-link.47182/

I cut this little piece off a loaf I was worried about.
It's got grapeseed, neem, coconut, avocado, olive, cocoa and shea butters.. With neem and moringa powders, fuller's earth and activated charcoal.
_20181027_113430.JPG
Doesn't look very nice, especially next to cute kittens lol but test bits feel nice on my hands and lather is decent.

Now I'm playing on SoapmakingFriend calc for next batch!

Back