What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are tearing out our kitchen and old asbestos this week so Sunday I did a marathon soap session since I don’t know when I’ll have a kitchen again. I cut all my batches last night and found one of my batches has a hidden male anatomy design in a couple bars which had me cracking up [emoji38]

I love the hidden treasure of soaping [emoji33]

made 7 cupcakes bath bombs and painting 10 huger hearts (also bath bombs; 5 color inserts) still another side to paint ;)

We are tearing out our kitchen and old asbestos this week so Sunday I did a marathon soap session since I don’t know when I’ll have a kitchen again. I cut all my batches last night and found one of my batches has a hidden male anatomy design in a couple bars which had me cracking up [emoji38]

I love the hidden treasure of soaping [emoji33]
Did you post the pic ? LOL

I am labeling some soap right not that I almost forgot

Did not make soap last night. Too tired. Will do it tonight, along with finishing the beer soap labels, and figuring out what needs to be done to catch up with the month. I feel so far behind.

STILL labeling .........................
This is what happens when you procrastinate and wait till the last week to label some 400+ soaps :oops:

Organized my soap lab with some new jars for my additives and a shelf above my table (courtesy of BF) [emoji7]

IMG_9447.JPG

I made soap! I checked my notes and the last time I made soap was Sept 29th. Felt like much longer. It went ok... messy. It was messy. My FO accelerated on me, which I was kind of expecting because it had clove in it, but it was still workable as long as I stuck to doing things by hand. In the end that acceleration probably worked to my benefit for the design of the soap. I'll post a pic when I cut (which might be at lunch because it was hard this morning). Crossing my fingers this soap looks how I want it to.

I fiddled with the brewery labels and finally got everything printed out. Mostly the problem is setting up the label inside of the printer margins, even though the labels themselves do not have margins. There's tweaking and trimming involved when I do anything that isn't text on a white label. When this pack of labels is gone, I'm shopping for something that will work better. So tired of the fiddling and wasted space.

Hopefully I will be making soap tonight too. I'd like to get caught up by the end of the weekend, and do bubble scoops next week if my cough is better/gone.

I went back to printing on glossy cardstock and cutting the with my rotary cutter, but my labels are 2x4" so are easy to cut 3 or four sheets at a time. It does add an extra step but no more fighting with margins, since even my 2x4 label stock will at times leave a tiny white margin that I do not like. Back in 2001 an employee of ours talked me into buying a Rototrim paper cutter when I was making and cutting my daughter's wedding and shower invitations. She tried to get me to purchase the 24" but I did not like the price and went down a size. Sadly, at that time I could have afforded the larger just got tight. She told me I would fine a use for the larger one, yep she was right!!
I love my Rototrim.

I made a small batch of DIY Bath & Body's Butter Cream Body Wash, scented with Candora's Dancing Waters. I also made a batch of bubble scoops for tomorrow's market.

I found the cutest tins at the dollar store to do my Holiday gift packs in

View attachment 32664
That is really cute! I need to check out my local dollar stores, I'm thinking.

Attachments

• 20181020_164541_HDR.jpg
    20181020_164541_HDR.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
Got my LEGO on so I could try a hurricane swirl for the first time! It’s called making do! Now if only I knew how to prevent the ash besides RA. Couldn’t water discount as I wanted time.

Attachments

• IMG_1875.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 24
Today I have pondered why one, just one, of my new soaps reeks!
20181021_211941.jpg
Goat Milk Pifito melt and pour base
It has fresh mint and dried statice flower in it... and some green dye.
I'm gonna do another batch with just the mint. I'm determined to use my home grown mint. :)
Oh, and ordered my first molds:)

You should not add in fresh mint or any fresh herbs or puree to m&p it will spoil and may be your off smell. Many flower buds will go black in soap and lavender buds will look like little mouse turds. Not pretty... Herbs and chunky purees can also spoil in cp soap. If you want to use your mint dry it well and grind it fine, it will be very scratchy

You should not add in fresh mint or any fresh herbs or puree to m&p it will spoil and may be your off smell. Many flower buds will go black in soap and lavender buds will look like little mouse turds. Not pretty... Herbs and chunky purees can also spoil in cp soap. If you want to use your mint dry it well and grind it fine, it will be very scratchy
Thanks for the tips
I'll try drying the mint!

You soap is beautiful. What is the fragrance?
I combined a Lush dupe "smell of weather turning" with a bit of clove and cedarwood essential oils. The dupe fragrance is notes of nettle, oak, hay, beeswax, mint, chamomile, oakmoss and cinnamon. I can't smell mint or cinnamon in it. It is a nice fragrance, but Nurture no longer sells it (I got it from a soapy friend doing a destash).

This weekend I planned my last three soaps for the year [for the store], and made embeds for one of the soaps. It should be an easy week, the embeds were the hardest part of the three soaps. So this week is gingerbread men (with embeds, and two soleseife: one with Sun & Sand fragrance, and the other with a menthol/rosemary fragrance. I have a few lip balms I want to get made, I picked up the lip balm rings from WSP, and my daughter has already pre-sold some to her friends. hahaha I'll have to make her my business partner soon!

I think I am organizing the November soap challenge, and then I am going to enjoy a bit of a break, maybe make a few soaps just for fun. I got a bar of pine tar soap from snappyllama in one of the forum swaps. We used it a year ago, and every few months my son will mention it and ask when I'm going to make it (she was kind enough to send me her recipe). So it seems like a good time to try my hand at that soap for him. I'm not sure if I will be able to add fragrance to it (he would like it to smell like DB too, that kid doesn't want much), so I will probably have a few practice batches under my belt before I try that. Should be a fun endeavor!

Latest posts

Back