What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got nothing soapy done this weekend. I was moving my mom yesterday and today did her grocery shopping, took her on a walking tour of her new town and set up her apartment.14 hours yesterday and 9 today.

I do have to fill an order tonight but thats it

Don't suppose you have a recipe you could share for the coffee soap you made sounds interesting?

Just ordered an inferred thermometer for my soap and candle making because I'm fed up of trying to read a manual type when im outside mixing the lye and its either dark or getting dark and my digital one is a nightmare when it randomly turns itself off or starts beeping at me.

The recipe is the one that Royalty soaps shared a few months ago. Real simple: 30% coconut, 30% olive, 30% palm (although I use lard instead of palm), 5% almond and 5% castor. For the lye you just make strong coffee and dissolve the lye there and use the coffee fragance of your preference (i would tell you which one I used but I’m in Mexico, so that doesnt help you haha). Also I used a TINY bit of coffee grounds in the batter. But you have to have a light hand on those because they can get TOO exfoliant. And that’s it. Next time I’ll add coconut milk just because.

I went to make my favorite recipe. I was taking my time and everything was going great. Got everything in the mold and started cleaning up... then I realized I didn't add one of the oils because I got distracted at the beginning. Recalculated the recipe, I now have a -8% superfat soap.

I went to make my favorite recipe. I was taking my time and everything was going great. Got everything in the mold and started cleaning up... then I realized I didn't add one of the oils because I got distracted at the beginning. Recalculated the recipe, I now have a -8% superfat soap.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I dumped the missing oil in the batter and mixed again. It turned out fine, just not as pretty as it once was.

I made my first liquid soap today, it's diluting now. I made it cold process, and it went crazy fast. I kept thinking I did something wrong, since it wasn't supposed to be that fast, but it's soap, so I'm not going to worry.

Picked up some oat flour and coconut milk at the store this morning...so I've planned my next few batches of soap accordingly! I think it's time I made an OMH soap that's not MP. Also in the works are a couple holiday soaps - a peppermint candy one as well as one using my Frosted Marzipan sample from Nurture.

Youre coming to Minnesota? What brewery (strictly out of curiosity promise) I live in Wisconsin but I am Minnesota everywhere else. lived there up until june this year. I grew up a block from Hamms brewery in Saint Paul. They used to have a pump outside where you could bring milk jugs and get free spring water. Best of luck with your meeting.

Thanks, the meeting will be a few weeks out yet. Hopefully it won't be a rush to get things done for Christmas season. I am meeting with Banks Brewing - they're closer to the MN/SD border, only an hour from where I live. I had a show there (Hendricks, MN) this summer so we actually stopped at the taproom and cooled off for a bit. Extremely nice people, the wife remembered us and gave me a bit of a good-natured hard time for not telling her that I make beer soaps. Sometimes I forget to sell myself when I'm on "off time". The local brewery has been really good to me, they emailed me a list of contacts at other breweries through our neck of the woods to reach out to. Keep in mind that many of these breweries are hours away from each other so it won't be a huge saturation of beer soaps in one location. I'm thinking about it. One growth spurt at a time, so I will finish up the local order first, and see what happens with the MN brewery before I move on to the next.

Soapy stuff done: Made a total of 4 batches of soap for the brewery. They doubled their initial order, so I picked up the beer on Friday and made soap Saturday and Sunday. I'm really happy with how they turned out, although the blonde (beer) turned out a bit more citrus than I desired, but the FO does fade slightly so hopefully by the time it's cured the vetiver will come through a bit more. (Blonde beers aren't known for citrus notes, but their brew does has a bright scent to it that we thought the citrus would compliment. My fault for being a bit heavy handed with the FO.)

I also made a batch of Soleseife. OMG I love this soap so much. I forgot that for this batch I wanted to switch out the dendritic salt for pink himalayan salt, but I did remember to sub the kaolin clay with french pink clay. It was so smooth and silky feeling when I cut it. I scented it with Peony FO, I'm not a fan of peony but I had enough requests to make it... but oh man, if this soap stays this silky feeling I am going to have to snag a bar for myself.

I finally got the cleansing oil made. My daughter was completely out and pretty much parked herself on top of me until I went down and did it. I made a batch for myself using half of the castor oil called for (I use Humblebee and Me's recipe, subbing in PS80 for the Olivem) and my skin seems to like that much better. I also made a batch of lip balms with a new flavor oil. Not sure if I flavored too much or if the flavor oil is too strong, but they have a really chemically taste to them. I did overshoot the measurement by 1g. Tonight I am going to see if I can fix it, although I have no idea how I'm going to get all that lip balm out of the tubes. Yeah, I think I just talked myself into scrapping them and starting over.

Tonight I am picking up a new beer at the brewery, a stout which has me so excited! Their stout is one of my favorites. I'll try not to drink it. Might have to bring a growler to bring some home for me....

soleseife is on my short list! just moved higher up cuz you made it sound heavenly @amd :D
mmm the stout! definitely take the growler, you'll be sad if you dont :D

i've been researching and over-researching FO's for weeks. my indecision is strong haha. need to order more lye too and a few various things here and there
headed out of town in a couple days, it would be nice if i'd get off my butt and order already so goodies are ready to be soaped with when i get home

IMG_9241.JPG
so I got antsy and decided to make a batch of OMH with coconut milk (split method), a little honey, and oat flour. threw in some walnut shell powder I had left over for a little exfoliation and wham bam. masterbatching lye is wonderful!! no wait at all.

Took granddaughter to school, picked her up from school and cooked a mild Pork Verde that I delivered to my sis whom is at the parents this week.

After delivering the food hubby and I finally got up and picked up the DB, along with 2 lbs Plumeria, the Caramel Tobacco, Asian Sandalwood, a slab of tart wax, clamshells, colorants, Tart Melters and some wax colorants.

When we finally got home I managed to make 2 batches of soap and a 1lb test batch today. Mystic Dragon, Caramel Tobacco, and a test batch of a new Asian Sandalwood fragrance I picked up at Cal Candle today, are happily in their molds gelling.

Also managed to make a some wax tarts for market tomorrow. I had a busy expensive day :D.

Off to try to sleep since it is almost midnight and I have to get up at 4:30 to get ready for market tomorrow. Whew I am tired exhausted.gif

Organized my soap room, tidied up materials, cleaned and scrubbed some equipment, took an inventory of what I need - because you know, Christmas is coming and I really can't procrastinate any longer. Annnnnd then I'll have to place an order soon too, because the Christmas rush has probably already started with suppliers.

Also worked on my soap-making book because that's been a work in progress for a while that really should get finished, but editing pictures is kind of annoying and I'm losing my mojo for working on that today.

2 batches of Lavender because i am out and it sells like hot cakes. Left them wrapped a wee bit too long and I can see the Ash on them already. It usually takes a couple weeks for ash to form on mine. I like it so hope it is WHITE WHITE ! lol

Cut my OMH soap and OMG does it smell like ammonia. Dear lord. I know it's normal for milk soaps but myyyyyyy my. I'll be leaving that one in the basement for a little while until it smells a lot less like hair dye. The good news is it turned out exactly how I wanted it to! Can't wait to use it :))))

Got my oils! So hopefully soap tomorrow. I got palm since i finally found it and coconut cause i was out of it. Also bought some coconut cream (the canned stuff) to try since I have only tried the more liquidy stuff.

Dont know what color or fragrance to try yet.

Latest posts

Back