What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Argh! I don't know how it works.. @lrpolillo your felted soaps looks amazing!
SoapingChick, you can find tutorials on how to felt soap. It's actually pretty easy, but you don't start with felt. You make the felt with the wool fibers called 'roving' which is a raw form of wool you can purchase at many needle crafting stores. You can purchase pre-dyed roving or un-dyed roving and dye your own. It is a lot of fun. If you've never done needle felting before, you can start with a simple felting project that doesn't require a needle, and later try your hand at adding needle felted designs on the surface of your plain felted soaps.

SoapingChick, you can find tutorials on how to felt soap. It's actually pretty easy, but you don't start with felt. You make the felt with the wool fibers called 'roving' which is a raw form of wool you can purchase at many needle crafting stores. You can purchase pre-dyed roving or un-dyed roving and dye your own. It is a lot of fun. If you've never done needle felting before, you can start with a simple felting project that doesn't require a needle, and later try your hand at adding needle felted designs on the surface of your plain felted soaps.
Earlene you are sweet! Thank you so much for the encouragement :) It is fibers I have and I did buy them to make felted soaps (thinking I'd cover up eventual ugly soaps) but now...now I want them to be PRETTY! With flowers and sunshine and funny faces :p I know I'm doomed. Have to make room for a new hobby.. my appartment is sooo small, I just can't see how. Is it possible to keep the water/mess inside my kitchen sink?? I see research in my near future. Luckily I love research :rolleyes:

Hi could you give me a list of supplies you used to make this?? Thanks so much

I have not made one. I have a wooden mold that if I put my rounds (cut smaller in length) I might be able to cut inside it. Have not tried yet

I'm the one who made the cutter and posted the pic last week. I'll post a few pictures and give a bit more info in a separate thread.

Made 6 loaves of soap. Two of which are special order for a baby shower. Fingers crossed the colors come out right.

Cross Fingers.jpg

Made olive almond baby soap with fresh goats milk. Another oat meal with unrefined organic honey from my bee farm[emoji4] tried a mica pencil line with gold dusted oats. Hope they turn out as i imagine them to be..
Master batched lye..

You could, but I think it would be very hard on your back to stand over a sink for too long. Do you have a stool you could sit on while at the sink?

When I first learned, my SIL & I felted our soaps outside at a picnic table.

Last weekend and yesterday my granddaughter and I used trays lined with plastic to work on our soapcarvings as a way to prevent the potential mess. That worked very well, but we weren't using water.

I have felted at my dining room table using a tray for containing any water as I worked. When I needed a bit more water, I just walked to the kitchen sink for running water. But for the most part, sitting down with a small squirt bottle and a plastic tray worked perfectly well at the table. Clean up is fairly easy this way.

Earlene you are sweet! Thank you so much for the encouragement :) It is fibers I have and I did buy them to make felted soaps (thinking I'd cover up eventual ugly soaps) but now...now I want them to be PRETTY! With flowers and sunshine and funny faces :p I know I'm doomed. Have to make room for a new hobby.. my appartment is sooo small, I just can't see how. Is it possible to keep the water/mess inside my kitchen sink?? I see research in my near future. Luckily I love research :rolleyes:

Gave three bars to an old friend who I met on our annual walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to Ikea. She was astonished that anyone could make soap! And she's incredibly bright. This hobby is a bit... recondite.

One of the bars developed soda ash, I think. It's a whitish film, but only on one side of the bar.

Made cold process soap cupcakes and shredded them to make soap gumballs for a gum ball soap!!!

Made a batch of soap with 5% beeswax today.
I picked up a couple bags of yellow beeswax pastilles at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago just on a whim because they were on sale. Today I decided I would see how they worked in a batch of cp.
I made a Beeswax, Bentonite & Bay rum bar. 900g of oils: Olive oil and coconut oil at 35% each, shea butter and rice bran oil at 10% each and castor and beeswax at 5% each. Added a couple teaspoons of clay, 27g of bay rum and some oatmeal chopped up in the coffee mill. Should be a nice masculine face bar.
Even at 5% the beeswax made the whole batch a bit stiff even when mixing at 120 deg. I had to bring the oils up to about 150 deg before the beeswax would melt. When mixing, the oil would harden a bit when it splashed on the side of the mixing bowl and melt when I scraped it back into the mix.

I'm guessing beeswax may be a bit easier to work with in a hp soap. We shall see how it looks when I cut it but I think it will come out fine. I did the usual couple hours in the oven with just the oven light on to make it gel. It did look like it gelled all the way through.

I also made a batch of lavender fo soap with rose clay. That one went totally as normal, no surprises.

I butchered my two pigs hoping I'd have some home grown lard to render for soap making. Alas, my pigs were a bit too lean. Plenty of meat, not really any extra fat for soap :(

Just finished a batch of shaving soap. It was my first time making HP soap, and I must say that it was a fun process watching it go through multiple stages. (Waiting on the stearic acid to fully melt tested my patience, though.) I glopped it into molds when it was at the Vaseline-ish stage, which is the correct way as far as I know. Here's hoping it turns out well and lathers nicely. (It'd better, since this is part of my gift to my dad for his birthday.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back