What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My soaping cupboard is bare and I have to make lotion for my wholesale customer; MSM Emu Oil Cream, Lotion, beeswax and shampoo for my 98-year old mother in Phoenix and restock my stash of "Just for Me" lotion and herbal balm plus a few small batches of different soaps on my Round Tuit List so I can cross them off at long last. Unfortunately, I forgot to place an order with Herbco dot com for some herbs to infuse in oil to use in two of the products on the list. I must do that first thing in the AM! (Talking to myself here.)

Soap and lotion shipments are starting to arrive. I placed an order with Elements B & B yesterday and it arrived at 11 AM this morning. Gotta love that! Shipments from Chicago and Ohio won't arrive til Monday. I coulda made lip balms this afternoon, but nooooo. As much as I love my DH, he sure does get in the way of progress some times!!!

Last edited:
Serene those look awesome! Please make me a sun! :D

Here are some soaps I made in February. First one is MP on the pot type swirl, with sinus relief fragrance. Second is an MP and CP hybrid, scented with Island nectar and smells divine. Third one is juicy apricot. Fourth is chocolate orchid. And the last one I call it snail soap.

20180228_192022_resized.jpg DSCN2275.JPG DSCN2279.JPG DSCN2281.JPG DSCN2284.JPG

Planning on making some more soap and sugar scrubs. Had a small show last Saturday and they darn near cleaned me out of sugar scrub. Also need to make some lip balm. Happy I've been working on my website, trying to bring it back up to par. More work to do yet but will get there. Also need to think about working on my taxes so I can get those done.

Told my parents I'm making soap for their birthdays in April, so I ordered some palm oil, clays, and supplies for making shaving soap (KOH, stearic acid) a few days ago. I've spent so much money on soapmaking supplies and on handmade soap in the last month or so that I'm afraid of looking at my credit card statement. :eek:

The six-bar soap mold I ordered from Amazon just arrived, so I'm going to be picking that up shortly. It'll be perfect for the birthday soap project since the bars will come out looking perfect from the get-go.

@SunRiseArts Very pretty soaps! Come to think of it, I could really use some sinus relief...

Last edited:
Soapy thing today. Waiting for the clay to be firm up to finish it off, then cast it. I hope SunRiseArts likes it if not I have me a sort of Sun type of mold. The struggle is real at my house as I keep trying to organize the Soap room.

Attachments

• sun1.jpg
    sun1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 22
  • sun2.jpg
    sun2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 26
  • sun3.jpg
    sun3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 26
  • sun4.jpg
    sun4.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 21
Aw, the best laid plans... Getting my herb order together the first thing in the AM didn't happen. First I had to inventory what I had on hand. Took forever, with constant interruptions! Then make a checklist of what I needed that I didn't have on hand. As it happened, I had most of the herbs I needed for the recipes I have planned, so the order was small. But now I'm excited to get back to one of my favorite things, making herbal infused soaps, oils and balms. Can't hardly wait.

I made a batch of Lemon Poppyseed soap today. AND... went out for lunch with a friend and traded five bars of my soap for two molds and 12 bottles of EO and FO that she'll never use. She wanted to get into soap making but, after a stroke, decided it was better she didn't.

Attachments

• DSCN1675.JPG
    DSCN1675.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 31
Soapy thing today. Waiting for the clay to be firm up to finish it off, then cast it. I hope SunRiseArts likes it if not I have me a sort of Sun type of mold. The struggle is real at my house as I keep trying to organize the Soap room.

OMG!! I was joking! Did not think you would really make me one, but that is absolutely AWESOME!

I cut the rebatch I did the other day into bars. Rather gooey; this is now a science experiment. They are yellow and not very pretty. I now have a checklist of what not to do for my next batch, which I will do when my scents arrive.
Soapmaking is a learning process. At least my ugly soap makes lather!

Don't get discourage. Everything in life is a learning process, and practice. Lots of practice. Take notes and such, so you know what went wrong.

Please please please keep posting pictures - y'all are awesome! Unlike me, who is an uninspired lump of soap dough smashed into the family room carpet. (I *might* be a bit sore yet over that incident...)

I've also been spending a lot of time thinking about what type of soaps I really want to make. I suspect some of my "I don't want to make soap" issues have just come down to overwhelming myself with making "fancy" soaps, when really... I just want to make simpler bars with no imbeds, just nice swirls or layers or solid colors. So I'm realigning my future soaps with that in mind. Hopefully this week will be a good week to make soap :D
I cannot sell fancy soap no matter how many times I have tried. So I make all bars the same shape and size and make nice swirls. Even at Christmas I cannot sell lumps of Coal or my cute Sleigh soaps that I like to make and always end up giving away the sleighs and lumps of coal. I find simple and consistent is the best if selling in outdoor markets. Our website was another matter, we could sell my daughters fancy melt and pour soaps but she does not make them anymore

I made a soap curing rack. Unfortunately the bar code was difficult to remove from a few dowel rods.. I'll address that later. The rack will hold approximately 96 bars when full.

Edit: Forgot a batch of soap, lol. New picture uploaded.

Attachments

• Curing Rack 2.jpg
    Curing Rack 2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back