What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG I don't even want to tell you how much i just spent on Amazon for supplies for the scoops and Eo's :eek:

I too need to FOCUS on just one thing at a time. Gonna get these things tried out but the 'scoop' recipe will be more of a Melt/fizz/bubble thingy. I think I will play with the ingredients since I refuse to buy Tartar!! Just a ridiculous price and still not even sure what it gives to the bubble bar (after searching all day yesterday ! ).

I think I need to go to the Mall with DD and go to Luch so she can look at stuff and then we can Make it at home. Might get her more interested in things that I do since she loves bath bombs

About 2 months ago, my sister told me about a shopping app called Wish & I'm hooked on it. Shipping can take a couple of weeks as most of the stuff comes from China but some of the molds I got were free, I just had to pay up to $3 for shipping.
I've learned that you have to double check the size of the item. Don't rely on the picture shown as free items are often smaller. The free blanket that I ordered for my queen sized bed was barely big enough for my Jack Russell terrier but for $3 shipping, my fur girl got a new blanket.
The Koi fish mold was bigger than I expected & the teddy bear mold was smaller than expected but I'm still happy. The flat square one is a butterfly fondant mold. I plan to test that one this weekend. I also got a soap stamp that says "Natural Handmade". Including shipping, I've paid less than $20 for everything.
View attachment 28420View attachment 28421
I'm totally addicted to AliExpress! Same stuff but it seems a bit cheaper than Wish and shipping is almost always free.

OMG I don't even want to tell you how much i just spent on Amazon for supplies for the scoops and Eo's :eek:

I too need to FOCUS on just one thing at a time. Gonna get these things tried out but the 'scoop' recipe will be more of a Melt/fizz/bubble thingy. I think I will play with the ingredients since I refuse to buy Tartar!! Just a ridiculous price and still not even sure what it gives to the bubble bar (after searching all day yesterday ! ).

I think I need to go to the Mall with DD and go to Luch so she can look at stuff and then we can Make it at home. Might get her more interested in things that I do since she loves bath bombs
I know what you mean. Focusing is not my strong point either right about now. I wanted to make some liquid soap today not paying attention to the fact that I'm out of KOH. So had to place an order for that.

Since I can't make my soap I decided to put SM3 on my new PC. Got that done. Now I'm back to working on my site for a while. Now I see why peopke pay someone to do this.

Finally beat down the soaping gremlins and had a perfect soapmaking experience YAY! I tried out the White Tea & Pear FO from Nurture and some new mica colours. Batter stayed nice and fluid and got a hanger swirl in. So excited to cut it up!!

This is the cream of tartar I bought for my bubble scoops: Badia Cream of Tartar, 2 Pound https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054M0U18/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Much bigger size and cheaper than anything else I could find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiger Stripe!

tigerstripe2.jpg

My 3 year old says she loves it, because it looks like "thunder in the sky"
I bet it smells amazing!

I need to do those too. The teenagers cleaned me out when they all had head colds (they were menthol/eucalyptus/mint).

I am down to about 8 bubble scoops left for my show tomorrow... I have to remember to wait until after the show to post them on FB, otherwise I don't take as many as I would like! A good problem to have.

I'm googling soap jelly. My daughter discovered it at the Lush store when were at MOA for new year's eve. This is working well for my squirrel brain can't focus on a single soap project at one time brain... I need to reign it all in and get one.thing.done. at a time. Sigh. Well tonight will be the husband's salt bars for sure, packing for the show, and if I can squeeze it in: laying out a sketch for the February challenge.

I had to buy soap jelly to make the blue flower soap that is my avatar. I used up the rest by putting it in the little 10 for $1 covered plastic containers from the dollar store. They are easier to handle in that smaller size. Each was between 2 and 2.5 ounces. I colored some pink with cherry slush FO and some purple with glitter (love spell). The kids loved them.

I tried to cup up my 2nd loaf. It is very very soft. I made it 4 days ago now so I don't know if I did something wrong. I don't think I did because it was a basic soapqueen recipe. I'm trying to start with things I can't really stuff up. I'm going to leave it a bit longer and hopefully it hardens up a bit more in the next few days.

Other than that, I've been looking at oil options. I didn't realise this new hobby would be so expensive. And please no body recommend lard! It is $30 a kilo! It is one of my most expensive options! o_O I also didn't realise how complex this would be. Trying to work out what everything does and how it combines... this hobby is going to be more fun that I realised. Thankfully I have a female heavy family so plenty of people to give things to!

I used to get those little indentations, too, Jayne. So annoying, right? Have you turned the nozzle slightly to one side or the other to adjust the spray? Some spray bottles are more responsive than others, of course. I thought of using a mister from the garden section in stores, but all they had were made of copper, so that was out. I did go to a much smaller bottle that seems to be working very well because the adjustable nozzle is pretty good. I have seen some soapers on youtube use really tiny bottles for misting the alcohol onto their soap batter. Tiny like they only hold less than 3 ounces (airplane carry-on size) and those probably have a very fine spray. I am happy with my slightly larger bottles that hold at least 4 or 5 ounces (maybe more). I got them at Dollar General I believe.

Yes it is on it's finest spray. I must have checked it a dozen times just to make sure. IIRC I bought it from Kmart which in Australia is about as cheap as you can get without going to the dollar store. I should have expected this. I've got 2 bottles of static spray lying about and not a single piece of clothing that needs it. I'm thinking I might clean it out and use that. I'm hoping that will work better. Otherwise I might have to buy it from *gasp* somewhere that stocks things for more than a dollar.

I tried my first coffee and gm soap, went well, then attempted a tall and skinny shimmy that went badly, riced and accelerated, I'm blaming the FO. not expecting a pretty soap when its ready to cut but thems the breaks. Tried a new corflute mould I made. And made my soap dough!
IMG_20180204_150517.jpg
IMG_20180204_171843.jpg

Primrose, your newly poured soaps look really nice.

I went and bought some corrugated plastic within the last week or two so I could use it to make a mold, too. I just haven't done it yet. So you call it corflute there, huh? I had not heard that term before. I was wondering how much bowing would occur and I see you have some, so I guess I need to think of creating some type of support to prevent bowing.

The one I want to make is for a vertical mold. But the same day I bought the corrugated plastic I found a wooden box at the thrift store that I think will work instead with some inserts to reduce the cavity to a more ideal soap size/shape. But, it's not very tall. I plan to do a small batch with it as is (I already did the inserts for reducing the cavity shape) to see if I like it. Then if I am unhappy with it, I might use the corrugated plastic, or corflute, as you call it, to build a taller vertical mold that sits inside the box as support.

Yep this was my first try, and it did bow out a little but not terribly. I had a half hearted attempt at using some things already in the fridge to support it hahaha but they didn't really make a huge difference (and I didn't care that much). I have seen people put a strong elastic band around the middle which I think I will do as I don't tend to do high tops. A wooden box would work also. I mostly just wanted to try it out. I have more and am thinking of doing a slab mould. This is a tall and skinny

Oops hit enter too soon. If the corflute works well I may just make some standard loafs as well. I've been using silicon baking pans and it annoys me that they aren't straight with neat corners, they are rounded. I could buy some actual soap moulds, but I have heaps of free corflute, and I'm a scrooge [emoji14]

I brought the new curing rack I ordered in from the mailbox. Other than that, life has been crazy running beekeeping school so for another couple of weeks, soaping is probably on hold.

My fingers are crossed for you too. The only way I’ve been able to be real successful combining them is either as thin embeds or as really thin swirls.
View attachment 28551

That soap is gorgeous, Karen! I have a feeling I'll be doing more experimenting with the two soaps, especially now that I have 2 lbs of m&p.

In addition to the second attempt at my dual soap, I've just finished another batch of dancing funnel soap. This time, I'm using a slab mold rather than a loaf mold. It's now taken the dual soap batch's place in the oven. I don't normally allow my soaps to gel but I do like the look of gelled soap when there's colour involved.

More soap dough play today. Intermittently watching videos, which led me to removing my hearing aids so I could use earbuds for better listening when one video wasn't loud enough (what a PITA when this is necessary) and the dome came off of the right HA. Now I have a dome stuck in my ear & have to wait until tomorrow to call my audiologist to get it out. More of an annoyance than anything else, but how inconvenient! Ah well, I needed to make an appointment anyway, but tomorrow is the day I start the prep for tests on Tuesday, so just plain all-around tomorrow will not be a fun day for me.

Ah well, I needed to make an appointment anyway, but tomorrow is the day I start the prep for tests on Tuesday, so just plain all-around tomorrow will not be a fun day for me.

I'm having one of those days today... prep for a test tomorrow. Only clear fluids today but I had a migraine yesterday so very little was eaten. I AM HUNGRY!

That's why I've been making soap today... to keep my mind off my tummy.

Back