What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a new mold from scraps, then a batch of salt soap to test using acetate as lining. Cut bars an hour and a quarter after pouring and three of the ten bars broke.

Next salt soap will be in individual molds and next liner won't be acetate. The new mold was easy to use; while I like the Formica, the particle board probably won't last as long as wood. Possibly a dough scraper would have made the cuts with fewer breaks than the heavy knife I used. It was a good day for soapy lessons.

IMG_20161113_201103.jpgIMG_20161113_202802.jpgIMG_20161113_202914.jpgIMG_20161113_211409.jpg

Put an order in for more oils and made a batch on Saturday night. Cut it yesterday and wasn't happy with the results but it's still soap

I made a very simple HP soap today for my husband a activated charcoal and rhassoul clay scent of lemongrass and citronella essential oil ( my hubby favourite)ImageUploadedBySoap Making1479167606.971692.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1479167621.174754.jpg

Loads today!Have ordered some more oils and butters , new FOs and colours !Excited now , can't wait to use them ! Cut the funnel pour loaf into bars , love these gorgeous bars , pink , white and green "flower iris".
Had a bit of fun with a Christmas batch ,green, red , white , glitter ,shades of blue all in what is supposed to be a wintery Christmasy swirl !

image.jpg

Submitted my entry for the November SMF Challenge tonight. I saw the thread was already open last night, but after the spending the day at Biscayne National Park, I was just too tired.

On our way back last night, we stopped at Whole Foods and I bought some Spectrum brand Palm Oil (shortening) so I can try it out. But, as mentioned before, I was too tired to make soap either.

Today we did a boat tour at Everglades National Park, which was not at all tiring, so uploading the photos and posting was feasible. But we're getting up early to go to Key West, so I won't be making soap tonight. And probably not tomorrow night either. I hope to do so on Friday because I want to use up some oils before we leave here on Saturday. I'll still have to pack up soap, but it's easier to consolidate than various bottles and containers of oils.

Dried & ground the calendula and put it in soap. Tested experimental log splitter yesterday and wound up putting the soap back in the mold and baking for a couple hours. Cut it with splitter 2 today and bought parts for splitter 3. :)

476e97cada9f52b8889d8b1cd7ad0505.jpg
574cf508da241aa15e53861f12738bb1.jpg

Last edited:
We arrived home on Monday and I am glad to be back. In the large accumulation of mail were three soapy packages. One I sent myself to lighten my travel load (22 pounds of soap). I just unpacked the box today. Another was my order from Steph's Micas & More. Oh, now I really want to use those micas and the funnel spout containers! The third was from Teresa. Thank you, Teresa! When we met up at SoapCon, she said she'd send me a bar of pine tar soap so I could see what it was like. The bars (3 different soaps) are wrapped so nicely. I really like your wrapping. And thank you for the EDTA.

Besides opening 3 items of mail that I knew ahead of time was soap/soapy stuff, I put some away for further curing. Now I have loads to shrink wrap and label again. Good, as I have told MIL that for Christmas we are giving all the staff soap at her Nursing Home. She was thrilled by the idea. I had Thanksgiving dinner with her at the NH yesterday. If you think Nursing Home food leaves something to be desired, you are correct!

And, although not strictly soap related, it is necessary to be able to comfortably write on this forum, use my soap calculator, save my recipes, etc..... I did a bit of transferring of data from old laptop to new laptop today. My 7-year-old laptop was getting so bad, that I decided I needed to buy a new one before I lost everything. So while in San Antonio I bought a new one. In Las Vegas, I visited Frye's Electronics, my favorite computer store, and lusted after a $3,000 machine I really really really wanted. But the cost, the size, the weight, the cost, well I decided to sleep on it and chose to wait a bit longer to decide. It had almost everything I wanted, but I chose another one when in SA that cost me far less. Then came the process of transferring information. I hate that part. But using my tablet or phone was so cumbersome for posting online, or for soaping purposes, that today I forced myself to get enough done that I can now write a post without the difficulties I had with my tablet. Hooray!

Tomorrow I plan to transfer more files, particularly my photos and my documents. I doubt I'll have time to re-install all of my software tomorrow, but I will be happy to have my soap recipes on this laptop.

I shrink wrapped some soaps yesterday and this morning. I have more to do, but since Hubby is off work today, I put the shrink wrapping stuff away. I also trimmed some soaps to give them smoother surfaces.

The last few days have been all about catching up on accounting and doing a physical inventory. Not my idea of fun, but the accountant is less grumpy when I do it. ;)

Still have a bit more to do and am thinking that the only way to get it done is to take a day off from my regular job.

CDO with excel and the curing rack - somebody stooooooopppp me. :) - but you know what, I actually I think I'm over it. I'm comfortable with the rate of water loss. I trust the 8 week curing process finally, and today it felt like I was just going through the motions weighing and tracking.

Another BB purchase.. I tore myself away from Mad Oils, sooo hard b/c I want their Micas.

OH yeah, Saturday I went to the tack-n-feed for a gallon each of 99% alcohol and rice bran oil. INSTANT gratification achieved. Now I need to find my dried hibiscus flowers. My mama-in-law loved that soap, so I'm planning to replicate it and send her another set for Christmas (Jan 7th for RO & some OCA). I have just enough time if I soap it in the next couple days.

Researching soleseife. I came across a bar from another soaper in my stash and adored it - much more than the usual salt bars. I made one attempt at it and failed. More research (too much salt/not enough water), but still trying to figure out if I can do this as a loaf or if it can only be done in cavity molds. I'll be digging through the forum today. Otherwise... I took a stab at the BB sculpted horse soap. Epic fail. I did make a very lovely honey soap though with a drop spoon swirl. I fragranced it with apricot & honey fo from wsp. It is so lovely!

Latest posts

Back