What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I jammed my dominant hand straight-on fingers-first into the freezer, causing pain, swelling and resulting in my hand feels almost useless. So besides not being able to squeeze anything without pain, I can't grip anything with safety and without pain. Hubby has to open cans, pick up the potful of hot food, even wash the bigger dishes. Some things I can still do, but making soap is out until this hand gets back to normal.

I tried just picking up bars of soap to move them to a tray for curing and can't do that without having to switch to my non-dominant hand. I planed & beveled one bar of soap, but gingerly because my grip is so slack. Well, at least I can type this post without pain. That's something!

So since I can type, I put in an order at Steph's Micas & More since it is the last of the year and I ran out of Bodacious Blue last month. It was the perfect shade to represent the blue in glaciers.

^^^
Lol Earlene. We can always find something soap related to do!

I ordered more FOs.
I used to think why do these people have so many FOs?
It's because you need to: find a great one, get enticed by the name, need a non discolouring one, need a discolouring one, need a men's one, need one that doesn't accelerate, need one that smells
nice.

Over the weekend, my husband finished making a soap cutter for me. I've been cutting soap all week. I've also been making more of it...because I can cut it by myself now! I'm starting to really get stocked up for holiday shows.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1475809678.706583.jpg

Oh that soap cutter looks beautiful!

I must send my boyfriend a picture of this in hopes that he'll finally get the hint ;)

image.jpg

I unmolded my Yuzu soap today...(sorry for the tilted picture :-?...)
Made it yesterday and while it was fairly firm thanks to the sodium lactate and almost popped right out, it was still slightly too soft...
But I got too impatient, so out of the mold it went!

What surprised me is that when mixing my yellow pigments into the soap batter, it turned a bright orange... but slowly, overnight, it morphed back to a bright yellow. Pretty cool, science. :)

Only downside is that the scent didn't really hold up at a little over 4%, so my living room won't smell as amazing as last time when I was curing my Vetyver soap.

I spent the day reading the forum and lamenting because, although I have my soap room organized, I still don't have time to actually make soap :( Does that count??

Oh that soap cutter looks beautiful!

I must send my boyfriend a picture of this in hopes that he'll finally get the hint ;)

Thanks, powderpink! It only took my husband about two years to get around to it. Plus, trying to put my dad on the task while he was visiting this summer accelerated the production (didn't even plan it that way!). So, best of luck to you!

Modified Irishlass liquid soap :)
I had added a bit of paste from two weeks ago and the trace was so quick.......:)

I ordered the ingredients for Top of Murray Hill's liquid soap that I didn't have in stock. Of course this introduced me to new suppliers which, for me, is always dangerous...

Cut Fridays soap. Didn't get the look I was going for but I love how it ended up anyways.

Between yesterday and today, I melted down some bulk oils from Soaper's Choice: 7 lbs babassu (6 pint jars and filled a mold with the other pint); 7 lbs tallow (4 quart jars); approx 12 lbs lard (I didn't weigh it, I just filled 6 disposable containers that I used for master batching. They each hold about 2 lbs.) And I finally made a new batch of 50% lye solution (4,000 grams total weight). The one I made last time (and had the weird stuff from the pot) definitely is now drain cleaner. It looked rusty and had sediment in it. Not to self: never use that pot again to make lye solution.

Tomorrow, I will make some soap. I was going to do that today, and ended up doing practical stuff instead. Tomorrow, I'm going to make a batch of Coconut Lime soaps for myself. I might actually add 10% salt to the water to make a brine, I've got to figure out how much extra water I need to add. Or I can add aloe vera liquid. Hmm, maybe both? I don't know. I'll see which way the wind is blowing...

I am in Colorado at a Burger King on my way to Las Vegas. I made soap 2 nights ago in Nebraska. I also melted a pound of lard and added ROE to it before measuring out what I needed for the batch. The rest went back into the container with weight and date for later use this trip. Maybe tomorrow night.

I stopped at a Sam's Club in some town today and bought some more OO and vinegar. Decided to make some soap using Teresa's vinegar method. We will be in Vegas for a week, so I plan on making lot's of soap. I remembered everything on my list but the EDTA. It helps to actually look at the list before leaving to make sure nothing is forgotten. Oh well, next time. At least I have the ROE with me. I have some vitamin E oil, too. Maybe I should add a little of it as well.

I might actually add 10% salt to the water to make a brine, I've got to figure out how much extra water I need to add. Or I can add aloe vera liquid. Hmm, maybe both? I don't know. I'll see which way the wind is blowing...

I don't add extra water to the soap no matter how much salt I use - either brine or salt in the batter. For brine soap I dissolve the salt in part of the water required for the recipe.

I counted all the Christmas soaps to see if I have enough for the teachers. I have just enough for school, but I should make another batch for Sunday School. Maybe neighbors, too...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back