What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a photographer either. I love the "story" of your photographs!

The first one has too much stuff to look at and the soap isn't getting enough attention. It's a fantastic picture but is more suited to hang in your bathroom than to showcase bars of soap.

I think they all need more light - the background wall and the items all seem to have the same light intensity, so there's no "sparkle" on your soap.

The oil lamp is awesome - but it's nearly invisible.

The last 2 pictures - the colors are all to similar to showcase your soap.

I think the tiny tub pictures showcase your soap best, but would just a little more oomph somehow. Maybe a hint of a primary color from a hanky or washcloth? Live sprig of herbs?

But dang Teresa! I do love the pictures as "art"! And you've got good taste! They are far and away more than the so many "common" photos you'd find on Etsy - you've put some personality in the photos.

Was going to say basically word for word here (studied photography many years back). Great job!

Today I made a short video on instagram of me shredding soap a different way, a way I am so doing from now on. Anne Marie from BB commented on the video, so I guess it doesn`t matter who you are in the soapy world, confettimaking is a chore all soapers know can take time and effort.

Why did I not think about this before? The solution was right under my nose the whole time. I have not seen anyone do it this way before, but am sure I have not invented anything new, you guys have probably done this many times over.

But for me at least it was something new. I found the whole process quite soothing too, which is not the words I usually chose when it comes to make confetti out of rock hard soapy bits that was way too small to grate up comfortably. But this time it went like a breeze.

I also made a confetti-Bastile. Can`t wait until the cut. Confetti soaps are fun to do, never know what the results are going to be.

What did you do?
Can you give us a link to instagram?
My DH is a patient person and he grates it by hand because he doesn't want me using the new kitchen processor I bought for the job of shredding soap!!!
The good thing about his way is that I get to separate the colours perfectly. :mrgreen:

I don't have Instagram, so what did you do? Shredding soap is such a PITA.

If I post the link to my instagram, can you then see the short video I posted? It is an open account so it is for all to see.

What did you do?
Can you give us a link to instagram?
My DH is a patient person and he grates it by hand because he doesn't want me using the new kitchen processor I bought for the job of shredding soap!!!
The good thing about his way is that I get to separate the colours perfectly. :mrgreen:

Lol, men : P But it is so nice of him to help you out : )

I am so sorry guys, I re-read what I wrote, and just noticed I totally forgot to say what I actually used. I have a cottonball for brain o_O

I used an old grinder in stainless steel that I had previously used for grinding up almonds for Kransekake - a cake that is made for festive occasions here in Norway. I decided to sacrifice it and use for my soapscraps from now on, because I want a better one for baking.

Here is the link to the video from my Instagram. Hope you can see it ok? I tried to use Photobucket to upload the video, but the video turned incredibly grainy after the upload.

Let me know if you can`t see the video and I`ll try and find another way of showing it to you.
Here is the link to the video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ-hvmHh3vB/?taken-by=norway.dreaming

I think I saw it. For my laundry soap, I do mine with the shredder attachment for my Kitchen Aid. It is sort of hypnotic to watch.

I have never seen a kitchen aid here in the shops, but googled for images of one with a grinder, and the principle is pretty much the same as I do, but I have to do it manually. Yes, it is so fun to see those soap curls just ooooze out of the grinder.

But then again, I am very easily entertained by the strangest things... lol : D

Saw it! Thanks MSH for posting the link. It is a great idea.

You are so welcome!

I just saw my grinder sit there one day, and I got the idea of using it. I wished I had thought about it sooner, others have probably done this like, forever, lol, but at least better late than never : P

I've been taking a break from soaping for a while as I had lots of soap and have some recent health issues that made me not want to do anything. This morning I took inventory of my supplies and I'm working on a shopping cart at NG. I also made the Hubster a beard oil, as he has decided to go the Yukon Cornelius route again this fall/ winter.

I've been taking a break from soaping for a while as I had lots of soap and have some recent health issues that made me not want to do anything. This morning I took inventory of my supplies and I'm working on a shopping cart at NG. I also made the Hubster a beard oil, as he has decided to go the Yukon Cornelius route again this fall/ winter.

It's nice to see you back. I hope that means your health issues have improved and you are feeling better.

Bless his heart. What a nice thing for him to do for you. So do you use the new kitchen processor for food now? :)

My soapy stuff last night:

I re-batched the trimmings from yesterday's soap using the midlife farmwife method (adding castor oil to the mix). Only I didn't use the crockpot. I used the microwave oven. I think they look quite nice. I'll shoot a photo and post it later.

Last edited:
I,m very proud of my soapy accomplishments today. I made a batch of lavender soap with a lavender in the pot swirl. I rebatched a batch that riced on me (F.O. but it smells so good!) I wasn't sure if the rebatch would seize and rice on me again, but it went well. The scent is WSP's Grapefruit lily. I also measured and melted oils for 2 more batches. That is a big day for me as far as soapy things go.

If I post the link to my instagram, can you then see the short video I posted? It is an open account so it is for all to see.

Lol, men : P But it is so nice of him to help you out : )

I am so sorry guys, I re-read what I wrote, and just noticed I totally forgot to say what I actually used. I have a cottonball for brain o_O

I used an old grinder in stainless steel that I had previously used for grinding up almonds for Kransekake - a cake that is made for festive occasions here in Norway. I decided to sacrifice it and use for my soapscraps from now on, because I want a better one for baking.

Here is the link to the video from my Instagram. Hope you can see it ok? I tried to use Photobucket to upload the video, but the video turned incredibly grainy after the upload.

Let me know if you can`t see the video and I`ll try and find another way of showing it to you.
Here is the link to the video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ-hvmHh3vB/?taken-by=norway.dreaming

My brain thinks that's a delicious pile of grated parmesan cheese!

Checked on progress of my Amazon order. Thought it was coming today, but not 'til Thursday. Holidays messed me up with the ordering and delivery dates this time. No biggie, but I am impatient. I like 2 day delivery to be 2 days, not 5.

Photo of the soap I made last night using midlife farmwife's re-batch method with added castor oil:

IMG_20160906_173832.jpg

I tried to whiten with TD, but it didn't really change the beige look by very much. This soap was originally the trimmings from my Pokemon challenge soaps, which were so hard I wasn't sure if it would even melt with so little added water. But it did well enough. I think the added castor oil is really a pretty good idea. These soaps were hard and ready to cut almost immediately, even while still hot. I was pleasantly surprised. They aren't as hard as before rebatching, but harder than most of my re-batches, so I will continue to use this method at least a few more times.

Had a bad day so I put myself in a happy place by cutting my cupcakes (seriously I'm addicted to those things!) And another loaf of eucalyptus mint. Made a second batch of eucalyptus mint (last time I made this I sold out of 9 bars in 4 days) and a purple, red, and gold batch that I scented with Patchouli, cedarwood, and cinnamon eo's. Will post a pic of that one when I cut - it was an itp - itp swirl.

1473251778990.jpg

I've been rebatching soap the last few days and one time I left it too long. It still retained the scents of the two soaps used so I rolled with it. It looks miles better than the first rebatch of the week too. Would it be a bad idea to add clay post saponification?

I'm home sick today. I feel like a truck ran me over. But I did manage to put together 12 sniffies for my boss. I need to buy some cotton swabs to make it easier (and cheaper) than using pipettes and cotton balls. I'm going to go sit on the chair and pretend to watch a movie.

I'm home sick today. I feel like a truck ran me over. But I did manage to put together 12 sniffies for my boss. I need to buy some cotton swabs to make it easier (and cheaper) than using pipettes and cotton balls. I'm going to go sit on the chair and pretend to watch a movie.

Feel better. Find someone to make you some chicken soup while you're at it.

I hope you feel better soon. :)

Hit the Go button on my order today, so hopefully next week I can whip up a few batches of soap and lotion before my surgery. Also bought EO's for DH's beard oil. Today we learned that fractionated coconut oil on his beard overnight smells like baby puke. The oil smells fine in the jug, but definitely reacted badly with his beard, despite the EO blend I put in it.

After dinner I hope to make a beard lotion from Swiftcraftymonkey's site. I have all the stuff I need for it, and he DID just send me some extra $$ for beard oil ingredients to act as traveling companions to my soap supplies.

Back