What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this link. I'm not sure if it will work, but it is a tutorial on an amazing wood grain soap that is done as an ITP. (Nope, not ITP. That's a different video. Still looking.) It's in an Asian language, though.

http://haocheng.pixnet.net/blog/post/42465886

ETA: This is the ITP swirl. Also in an Asian language very brief, but gives a good idea of the process. https://www.facebook.com/epin1010/videos/615585111878486/

Thanks Teresa appreciate it! Some parts turned out decent. But I screwed up by not using sodium lactate, salt and used way to much water. Going to watch the videos and try again. I was all over the place looking for tutorials, glad you found them!

I watched them, thanks. The first one was labor intensive but I love the more linear look. These are super soft and need cleaned up, I'd like them better less curvy.

Last edited:
All these cured & ready to go! Very nice & creamy...olive, palm , coconut & castor oils in all of these! So I got them photographed today!!!

IMG_8647.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8649.jpg

IMG_8651.jpg

IMG_8653.jpg

Last edited:
LisaAnne, are you going to post the pics of the cut? I'm very interested in them even if they're not "perfect." I hope the others with the new vids give you closer to what you're hoping to achieve. You're right, that first one is extremely labor intensive. I don't think I'd have the patience for it. But then again maybe some day...

LisaAnne, are you going to post the pics of the cut? I'm very interested in them even if they're not "perfect." I hope the others with the new vids give you closer to what you're hoping to achieve. You're right, that first one is extremely labor intensive. I don't think I'd have the patience for it. But then again maybe some day...

Yes, I was half way through it when I realized I was cutting them wrong. Another mistake I made was swirl the middle because it didn't look swirled enough. Some parts I'm happy with.
I think the colors look better in person. I had six colors and I mixed within those colors so the lines would not be so sharp. Also thar loaf spin you did might work well, giving the less swirly long lines . thicker lines would be better also.

20160328_113838.jpg

Last edited:
Love that last one CoolSuds!!

And LisaAnne, I think those turned out great!

I attempted to brush away the soap gremlins I posted about yesterday. I was gonna go simple but my FO behaved so well I went for it. So 1/4 of my mould is filled with a two colour itp swirl and the rest is a white base with a drop hanger swirl using the same two colours as the bottom. Looking forward to the cut.

Cut my neem soap:

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1459199321.341536.jpg

And my failed travelling faux funnel:

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1459199354.275043.jpg

Last edited:
Today I practised my photography skills on my almost 100% coconut oil soap. It's "almost" because I added a tiny bit of red palm oil to get a creamy color. I deepened a little with some turmeric to make a subtle swirl and scented it with "Orange Peel" FO from BB. The soap looks and smells just like I hoped, but the picture looks a little overly dramatic. :D

1459207035986.jpg

Yes, I was half way through it when I realized I was cutting them wrong. Another mistake I made was swirl the middle because it didn't look swirled enough. Some parts I'm happy with.
I think the colors look better in person. I had six colors and I mixed within those colors so the lines would not be so sharp. Also thar loaf spin you did might work well, giving the less swirly long lines . thicker lines would be better also.

Those came out fantastic! The colors are great. The loaf "spin" wasn't actually a spin at all. Wrong terminology. I corrected the album after you made your post. It was a Taiwan circling swirl. I kept going in circles around the perimeter of the loaf until I decided I liked the look. Although, I'm going to try to spin a loaf mold like that just to see if I can. I'm sure I'll wear the batter, so I'll definitely have the camera rolling when I try that!

Sonya your neem soap is beautiful - looks like you may have chased the gremlins away. I know the traveling funnel didn't turn out how you wanted it to, but it still looks very nice. It's hard to appreciate a disappointing outcome for what it is, when it is our own, but I like it!

Coolsuds, your soaps are all pretty. I love the bit of green you added to the black and white soap. Being partial to brown/tan soaps myself - that one is my favorite.

LisaAnn, WOW! Beautiful color choices and they turned out great!!

Artemis, love the creamy color you got, and I really like the subtle swirl.

Cut the Avocado soap I HP yesterday. It smells great!

I used Natures Garden Earl Grey Tea.
It is fresh, a bit fruity and a very clean type of scent that isn`t obtrusive or annoying. It doesn`t invade your nostrils, just... tickles them ever so slightly without teasing you too much and then just vanish before you knew it was there.
I like it better in HP than CP, it hung around a bit better, using the same ammount as before. Pleasant smell.

Here are the picture of it. Managed to get a smooth pour out of it, happy about that, not a lot of holes in the soap. Some, but not much.

PS! The bottom picture is the closest one to the real color. IRL it is more of a soft seafoam green. (I improvized and used yellow and blue untill I got the color I wanted)

HP_NG_Earl Grey Tea 3.jpg

HP_NG_Earl Grey Tea 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back