What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made this one yesterday. Cut it today. Also made my first batch of LS. But we won't talk about that right now.:evil: I also made bug chaser candles and broke my scale, which put an end to any further soapy ad adventures for the day.

20160317_155812.jpg

Last edited:
Made this one yesterday. Cut it today. Also made my first batch of LS. But we won't talk about that right now.:evil: I also made bug chaser candles and broke my scale, which put an end to any further soapy ad adventures for the day.

I like it. Looks like Earth and Sky with clouds. I would name it Earthen Sky. I have one of my soaps called Earthen Sky and it doesn't look as nice as yours.

Tried my first coffee soap. I couldn't just do coffee I had to throw in several additives. It is Coffee Honey Oatmeal soap. I used some Keauhou-Kona Coffee Beans and ground them up, ground oatmeal and locally grown honey. I scented it with Vanilla Select, Orange 10x and a kiss of Clove. Needless to say I was full speed ahead to try to get it in the mold before it became soap on a stick. Used SoapMaker 3 recipe I put in for the first time and not used to the format as I had always used Soap Calc. I used 5% Lye Discount and 32.5% Lye solution Strength.

Coffee Honey Oatmeal Soap.jpg

I made it through all 157 pages of the Soap pictures thread, came to the realization that me and my first spoon swirl have a LONG way to go.

Completed my beveling tool, but have to admit I feel a bit of loss cutting away some of the soapy goodness I am trying to create, is that just a bit obsessive? :think:

Accepted the frustration that comes with the wakeing up this morning and knowing I don't get to make any soap today because I am out of storage space for both cured and drying bars.... "Accepted" may be a bit of an over statement.

The upshot for the day was I got to try my first salt bar today, inspired from the enablers on this very forum. And, yea you were right, it is amazing! I offer a humble debt of gratitude for making my shower this morning awesome. Don't quote that last statement out of context :)

20160320_143211.jpg

Last edited:
I made three "first" batches:

2# pine tar
2# "Aleppo" style
1# "fish net/snakeskin" pour and I used a new FO - "grass" by Crafter's Choice.

The experimenting has begun!

ETA: this is the "Snake in the Grass" pour. I hope it turns out well.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Two different liquid soap pastes cooking (dual lye and one lye). Plans for next weekend for two batches of HP bars. Need more space!

Tried my first coffee soap. I couldn't just do coffee I had to throw in several additives. It is Coffee Honey Oatmeal soap. I used some Keauhou-Kona Coffee Beans and ground them up, ground oatmeal and locally grown honey. I scented it with Vanilla Select, Orange 10x and a kiss of Clove. Needless to say I was full speed ahead to try to get it in the mold before it became soap on a stick. Used SoapMaker 3 recipe I put in for the first time and not used to the format as I had always used Soap Calc. I used 5% Lye Discount and 32.5% Lye solution Strength.

I brought home several pounds of Kona Coffee from Kona a couple years ago and wrapped it really well and vacuumed sealed it because I don't drink red coffee that often. I was surprised when I unwrapped it and it was still OK. So I decided to put it In soap. It smells awesome!

Started boxing and packing up my soaping room for the move in six weeks. Really difficult, I have at least a couple of boxes of 'can't pack yet, I might want to use these one last time for lotions, bath spa kits'. Done with soaping for months now, alas.

Another couple weeks 'til my first tallow and lard soaps are cured, but oh my, I may be a convert. I used only 30% of one or the other, but have sneaked a couple into the shower and a coffee one into the kitchen. Oh my. Baby lardinator wannabe?

Ugh to packing up a house we've lived in 12 years. The saddest soaping thing I've tossed so far is a six-pack of Wild Blue I'd meant to soap but not going to haul it cross country and it's been sitting for a year so not gonna foist it off on friends... Scary but liberating to go through everything, keep, toss or donate!

Inventory and Pack up soaping supplies for the move in a couple weeks. DH put his foot down and denied my one last venture into soaping today before our move. I really had my heart set on a three pound batch of castile. I have 1500 ml of EVOO in glass bottles and would rather transport SOAP than pack glass bottles of EVOO. That's ok - I might sneak out my box no.1 that has the NaOH in it, and box no.2 with my essential depot silicone log mold ANYWAY when he works late this week and have at. I can cure it outside for a couple days. First I just need to ferret out how ticked off he'd be.

Darn it - he just came over and kissed me and smiled really big and said he loves me. Awwww I'm m e l t i n g...... OK I guess no soaping for a few MORE weeks. It's probably best to keep a man named Vladimir on my good side and happy. I do love his smile.

back to disassembling my racks and I've got to figure out a vented box to pack my curing soaps in.

Maybe I can felt another bar just to feed my withdrawals. oh wait - nothing was said about making balm..

Suz

Daydreaming about "Soap Gardening"

My old Ipad limits my experience here, so I haven't yet figured out how to start a new thread.

Today, I'm dreaming of Spring (that happens with the time change) and wondering what I should be putting in my "Soapy Garden". I like natural ingredients for smell as well as color in my soaps. With limited (city living) space for an edible garden, I will have to find a way to combine.

My favorite soap is my Pumpkin Spice, so I'll start with pumpkins, and lavender (to start infusions)

What are the staples in your "Soapy Garden" this year?
[/FONT]

Dandelion, Plantain, Stinging nettle, Rosemary, Peppermint, all OO infusion and some of them extract and dried, not to forget basil, oregano............you just made my brain going in circles, I try to deny the Spring due my back problem

All I got to do was empty a Mad Oil order of micas. Got some gardening time and made pizza dough to ferment in the fridge for a few days. Didn't even have time to read the Sunday papers! Soaping has to wait a bit longer till bills are paid, taxes are done and garden work is caught up.

I went back to my soapy roots and made a recipe from the distant past...one I started with in the early 80's...tallow & olive oil! It makes such a hard creamy bar & I was able to cut it in 20 hours! It was still warm, that chemical reaction still going strong. It is a soap which needs to be cut right away since it gets so hard & you don't want a big hard block of soap to deal with...it also makes a very white bar, so the soap I didn't color is still morphing its color right before my eyes!

CoolSuds, your soap sounds awesome!

I made a loooong TO DO list, worked out all the ingredients I need to accomplish said TO DO list, added a loooong list of ingredients to the cart in my fave soapy supplier, looked at the total ......

Went back to looong list, highlighted MUST DO SOONs, went back to looong cart list, moved most of loooong list of ingredients to wishlist, reduced cost by three quarters!!

Hit CHECKOUT NOW.

Me happy little vegemite :D

Catching up for a few days:
Saturday I had a show. Highest sales yet! I'm not sure if I'm getting a better handle on what people like for fragrances or if the crowd was in a better spending mood. The last show we didn't sell any welded items and just enough soap to cover the booth fee, gas and food for the day. (But I did get $200 in follow up sales by handing out samples with my business cards, so I called it a win.) This show we sold out of welded items and I sold enough soap to pay for the booth fee, gas, food for the day, and the banner I had bought for the table front. Breaking even one baby step at a time :)

Sunday I made my shopping list for today's WalMart run, masterbatched a bucket of oils, poured embeds and samples, and made a batch of Lavender Chamomile to restock.

Today I have a WalMart run after work for carrots (my mom loves the carrot coconut milk soap I made, she says it stops her itching from psoriasis), aloe vera juice, coconut milk, and lard. Making another batch of lilac citrus soap because the pre-orders on it almost have it out of stock (and it's not even cured yet!), and another bucket of masterbatch oils. Of course, then I'll have to dishes. Maybe make two loaves of banana bread for my dad and the guys at work.

I have been so busy with life I hadn't made soap in 5 weeks. Yesterday I made four batches - black raspberry vanilla, orange patchouli, rosemary spearmint, and a blend of lavender, grapefruit, litsea, and peppermint.

Also put together some oats to soak for oat water. Planning on a couple of oatmeal soaps next weekend.

1458589084520.jpg

Back