What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took better photos of yesterdays cut soap!

Crisp Cotton from BB!
12771941_10156615743505646_6919228187405459501_o.jpg

12764646_10156615744465646_4612228984464250251_o.jpg

12804873_10156615745655646_3925146387589276167_n.jpg

12794679_10156615746305646_1542455554595081305_o.jpg

I have spent most of the day rearranging my soaping space. I bought a new folding table, so now i have 12 feet of area. I just need to figure out where my 2 book shelves will go... one has most of my oils and mixing containers. The other is all my papercraft stuff for packageing.

I think I need another power strip too....

I cleaned 200 and eleventy million soap utensils, pots, pans and bowls. I may have fudged the numbers there. I think there was more. Felt like it anyway :mad:. Cleaning up because the Mother-In-Law is coming to stay. She will be doing her not so subtle inspection. Kill. Me. Now.

I love making the soaps, but like you, I can't say that I enjoy the clean up.

Last night I made Lavender May Chang (lavender, litsea cubeba, and a touch of Valencia orange EO's). Colored with tomato paste, rosemary/green clay/a touch too much green oxide, and zinc oxide for a 3 layer bar. It's still warm so will have to wait for tonight to cut and post pics. I'm not a lavender fan but I really like this mix!

I made my first yogurt soap, with a lovely thick yogurt my mother had made. It looks pretty sexy--creamy and whiter than I expected, and it hardened quickly, considering there is a fair amount of olive oil in it. Very pleased!

I finally tried a couple of small batches using the Yucca Schildigera Juice as the water in my soap recipe's. Made them yesterday and took them out of the mold today. I have a lot of big fluffy bubbles and can't wait till the full cure is done. Noted that the basic soap is a darker color because of the Yucca juice. So it was hard to make pretty colors for me. I even tried to use white oxide to lighten the batch of Lemon Grass - Spearmint then tried adding some different oxide to small amounts. Experimenting here.
One batch is a Lemon grass - Spearmint, the other batch is a Rosemary - Peppermint.

Lemongrass spearmint yucca mango.jpg

Rosemary Peppermint yucca mango.jpg

Made salt bars for the first time! Though I was rather impatient and didn't wait for a thick enough trace before adding the salt (and was equally unwilling to break out the sb to speed things up).

I scented it with Failor's "sea breezy" eo blend from Liquid Soap Making (2:2:1 eucalyptus, lemongrass, rosemary).

image.jpg

Made salt bars for the first time! Though I was rather impatient and didn't wait for a thick enough trace before adding the salt (and was equally unwilling to break out the sb to speed things up).

I scented it with Failor's "sea breezy" eo blend from Liquid Soap Making (2:2:1 eucalyptus, lemongrass, rosemary).

Those look great! I love that eo blend.

Thanks! I'm quite pleased with how the swirls look! And when I checked them this morning, the final colors looked good too!

I'm still making up my mind on the blend. It's not an immediate "Ooo, I love this!" reaction from me, but it might grow on me. :)

Made lotion yesterday & bath bombs today, tomorrow, I'll finally be re-making my lavender/lemongrass with a new design.

Cut a soap I made for my friend Mary in KC. I used WSP's Lotus Blossom and a gear tie for a hanger swirl.

The colors are green apple, pink and blue vibrance, and titanium dioxide from Nurture.

Trued to get it to gel on a heat pad under a box and blanket, but it didn't work. Can't wait for this cold weather to pass so my soap cave isn't so cold!

1457245923819.jpg

I made a soap using the remains of some olive oil and beef tallow I had on hand. I'm saddened that I will not be able to get any avocado oil for a little bit. I'm down to about 2oz give or take. My... Precious...

I melted my 7# bottle of CO and poured it onto wide mouth containers. I filled my working bottle of caster oil from my 7# bottle. Got down my manageable sized bottles of olive oil (I had poured them months ago) and put away the empties to refil later. Basically, I got into soaping mode.

I pulled out all of my "control" bars from previous batches to check for DOS. Two early batches have a tiny spot. One batch I only have one bar (this is the first sign of DOS). The other batch I have two bars. One bar has barely a spot and the other bar's spot is getting greasier and deeper orange looking, but not bigger. (I spotted the DOS in July, 2015 on these.)

Right now, it's nap time then I'll make a Bastile (OO/lard/castor 75/20/5) with 50% lye solution. I'm going to add 2 tsp sugar to it to help with the bubbles. I like creamy lather, but others like bubbly lather. Maybe the sugar will make it the best of both worlds. Or not.

I planned out my whipped soap project. I'm down with what I'm guessing is the flu so don't trust myself with anything more mentally taxing than watching videos and wallowing in illness. Next week I'm taking vacation time to look at possibly moving to North Carolina - so I hope to recover quickly. I swear, every time I take a vacation day I come down with something...

Latest posts

Back