What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sold the last of my Blackstrap Ale soap to the brewery that makes it. The next batch, Sweater Weather, won't be ready for another two weeks. I will be making more soap this weekend!

ETA.... and just put in an order with Voyageur Soap & Candle for some more soap making supplies.

Last edited:
Alright, last christmas soap (unless I really want to make that apple cider one too) , and probably last one for half a year since I now have about... 60 bars of soap :D

image.jpg

Shipped out the last of my Christmas orders. Picked up a small container of coconut oil to tide me over until my big order gets here. Finally unmolded my dental soap. Tomorrow will be attempt #2 at the bf's birthday salt bars (I solemnly swear to not CPOP) and start figuring out the next soap run.

I/we made two batches of beer soap to replenish my very depleted stock of soap. I'm getting my husband involved in the process; he watched me make both batches. It may be a while before I allow him to make soap on his own.... sigh. His attitude is "give me the recipe and the process and I'll make it". I'd really like him to understand why he's doing what. We'll see.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450619906.376863.jpg

Wasn't actually today, but yesterday and the evening before - made some whipped body butter for my mother-in-law and her sisters. I always underestimate how long it will take to start setting again so that I can whip it. Good thing with winter here is that my balcony is essentially one big fridge (when it isn't being one big freezer!)

Wrapped some Christmas gift soaps. And wrapped some more. And...wrapped some more. WHY DID I MAKE ALL THIS SOAP!!! Oh, it's because I'm addicted.

Not in my experience.

I was lying to me. It only LOOKED like gel. Strange stuff. It went white at trace then most of it went back to an opaque version of the color of the Pomace OO before it cooled out to a nice slightly off white. Cut in about 6 hours too.

From all that I've been able to read prior to this batch it wasn't supposed to set that quickly either. Must be the pomace?

I was lying to me. It only LOOKED like gel. Strange stuff. It went white at trace then most of it went back to an opaque version of the color of the Pomace OO before it cooled out to a nice slightly off white. Cut in about 6 hours too.

From all that I've been able to read prior to this batch it wasn't supposed to set that quickly either. Must be the pomace?

One of the first batches of soap I made after I got back into it this summer was a 100% olive oil pomace castile soap. I was able to cut it after about 8 hours. Had I waited any longer, it would have been difficult to cut nicely. It was pretty hard already and is way harder now, four months later.

My 100% OO castile gelled for me too. I used extra virgin OO and I was able to cut somewhere between 4-6hrs as well, had I cut it the next day it would have been very hard to do as well.

What is Dental Soap? (sorry for the dumb question)

Not a dumb question at all. We talked about it earlier in this thread. You can find some of our discussion here:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=558159&highlight=dental+soap#post558159

And a thread on dental soap here:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=39305&highlight=dental+soap

I love mine and use it daily. In the morning, I add just a touch of my regular toothpaste for that slightly minty flavour but at night, I use my dental soap exclusively.

What Misschief said! I used her recipe except no PKO (or PO i forget which she used) because I had read that adds to a soapy flavor.

There are some teeny tiny, bright red spots on the kitchen tiles though, where I stick blendered, so I'm afraid the lye reacts with the stone tiles... I should stop being lazy and just tape newspaper all over the kitchen.

I used an old shower curtain in my soaping area until I got the proper container to stickblend in. It wiped clean, and was reusable.

Back