What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made 8 batches over the weekend, and only had 1 soap on a stick. Thanks Big tree Supplies. Not :(

Finally getting my ass into gear for the Christmas soaps. Guess what everyone is getting this year? hehehe

I planted my own calendula for future use in soaps. :grin: I ordered a batch of himalayan salt to make salt bars, and I checked on my curing batch of plain as day soap (no color, no scent, just playing with the ingredients that I had at the time). And I found a local source of goats milk for milk bars.

Nice Sunday morning before I have to go to work.

Going to attempt my coffee bar again, this time with cocoa powder in it and will use a vanilla FO from BC...
Here goes nothin...:neutral:

Made the coffee soap...some very weird things happened but in the end I think it will be okay.
I split my lye and oils in half and used the Vanilla FO in just the brown half which I added a tsp of black cocoa...I used this cocoa mostly because it doesn't clump. When I got ready to add my coffee lye to the oil it was very thick??? My guess is when I ground my beans I powdered them and once I stirred it, it seemed okay. I was expecting the brown to trace faster so I hand blended it first so I could pour it first, maybe because I put all the FO in that half it stayed very thin. My white TD half actually traced faster...now I used castor oil at 15% in this batch so that may be why...I think the FO in the coffee half saved my butt...unfortunately I panicked when I saw the TD white trace fast with my SB so I hurried to blend the coffee and forgot to burp my SB :(.
It swirled nicely, much better than I thought it would. The pics make it look black but it is really very dark brown. We'll see how it turns out...

002.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

I liked that series a lot, too.

Just got done trying out MO Lemon Unhinged FO. It's a really nice lemon that I hope doesn't discolor too much. Only of my colors (sea green) accelerated like crazy so ended up with a plop pile in the mold.

The only thing I did was get a couple of orders in for a few more micas and some infused oils to make a healing salve.

I'm not planning some simple dinners for a couple of nights next week so the afternoon is free to make a couple of small batches of soap.

Have some grocery shopping to do now and tonight I'll try that video/moving making software again. I don't think it wants to work with Windows 10 (when I deleted some sections and played the video back, it looks like ghosts are in the video because it is overlapping some frames!);and I have about 12 days left in the 15 day trial and if I can't get it to work, I'll look elsewhere. It looks like there is no reasonably priced vide/movie editing software, so far that gets a good review from all who are using Windows 10 so I may have to wait a few months to let these software people to catch up to this latest version of Windows.

I made a batch of Vanilla bean with a splash of Oak moss and used pumpkin for part of my liquid.
Then a batch of Lime in the Coconut Milk.
Now I need to order some oils .

Now I'm binge watching "Call the Midwives" on Netflix (not soaping related, I know).

LOVE THAT SHOW.

I tried out new additives today! Split a batch into 2 and made one with poppy seeds (kiwi FO) and one with white kaolin clay (NG British Burberry FO).

Made an avocado soap today, using the remains of my aloe vera extract as part of the liquid and coloured with a bit of spirulina, scented with frankincense and neroli. Right now, it's gelling and looking good.

This sounds lovely.

I made a batch for a friend who is getting married. She wanted some soaps to give as gifts. I scented it with Lavender and Vanilla eos.

Canned my freshly rendered beef tallow(all it cost was time and electricity) thank you local grocer. Got about 3 pounds of beef trimmings I used in a couple soups( thanks again meat man!)
Lard is on the stove in its 1st cleaning. I won't get as much lard, never do but hey free is free. So I will take what u can..

image.jpg

IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8242.jpg

IMG_8238.jpg

IMG_8240.jpg

So this is an outcome from last weeks soaping. You can see on a third picture as soap batter reached thick trace in the middle of a pouring and stqarted layering instead of penetrating through layers. So, Im happy with half of the soaps. This one is a bastille recipe scented with Anise & White Ginger FO`s.

And then green & yellow soap was supposed to be a green and white. This one overall turned out ok for the first time on zebra swirl, but its not what was intended. Scented with Basil FO. White & green would be perfect, ah well, I get to try again!

Last edited:
Jules I have heard that the Trichomania acts up in CP soap, my friend who is an experiences soaper had a batch that acted up. Hope you see this before you test it. I have also heard that 'The Comforter' doesn't hold in CP. I like the Karma, and am interested to see how it compares with WSP. FB usually has Holiday sales, and should (hope) have a Black Friday sale coming up.

After a little hiatus from soaping, I jumped back in today. I just made a loaf of unscented, uncolored soap for my hubs to use before/after hunting, and my BIL and nephew to take camping when they go to New Mexico with the boy scouts.

Last night I used my salt bar (80% salt) again. I made it 4 1/2 months ago. It was glorious, so I printed off another recipe to make this week, using 50% salt this time. I'll probably use NG's White Sage and Sea Salt FO.

Finished trimming my cucumber melon soap. Got my first soaping video uploaded and linked to a message here only to find there were errors in the URL. Now I need to find out how to delete some of those "in error" posts!

I also unpacked my veggie shredder and shredded the soap trimmings from the soap I trimmed this morning, and made a soap ball. After lunch I'll do the same thing with the Nag Champa soap scraps.

That's it so far. If I can I'll get around to filing all those recipes I printed out days ago and still haven't found time to get them into the plastic covers and into my 3 ring binder!

Today I finally got in a 2 hour soaping sesh.....

Baby went down for a sleep, and I thought I would test my luck... (Grandma & Hubby were here to tend to her if she woke up and I said to myself "FK it, there are two other people here...EVERYONE is sleeping in the house except me. I'm going to take some ME time and Soap.").

So. Did the horribly, disgusting, and dangerous job of Transferring some Lye....I didn't like the setup in the 5gallon bucket. Sure it's nice to have that much Lye, but it had this silly bag - and scoop - and just.... so....not.....convenient. Burned myself wayyyy too many times the other day and I am NOT doing that every time I make Soap. So I braced myself and moved some... Maybe about half the bucket. That's all I could handle because my arm started burning (Just wore short gloves and I should have worn taller ones...) so have this nice little lye burn (perfect little hole) on my right forearm, and a teensy rash on my right wrist where obviously I also got some lye.

That's okay, I took one for the team...

Then since baby was still sleeping - and I was obviously NOT leaving my soap room until decontamination - I thought - "What the hell? Might as well soap."

So: Pumpkin Soap - first time using pumpkin purree - and I DOOOO love the smell.. It smells SOOOO much like pumpkin pie. Perfectly what I wanted. (Pumpkin Patch FO from NDA).

Then I made a Lavender Soap because I almost always need Lavender...used Alkanet Root & Blue Poppyseeds. Did what I think is a drop swirl. Not sure though because I haven't seen the tutorial. I just thought "If I was a drop swirl, how would I be? How would I work? Which way would I go?" And for all intents & purposes, I wung it. Winged It? Wung it?

And lastly, I bought a Basil E/O with my last order and thought I would do a citrus basil soap.... Well, It could have used a LOT more Orange, and a LOT less Basil. It's an.... interesting smell to say the least... at this moment in time anyway.. But that's okay I hope the smell will change over the next few weeks. Is it weird that I think it kind of smells like an ashtray? And since I didn't have my **** together, I did a faux-funnel pour (where i pretend I used a funnel, when in actuality, I didn't even use it because I couldn't find it) and just kept randomly changing the shade of green in the soap - and pouring in a few different places, on top of each other... SO that will also be fun to cut...

SO. That was that..... :)

Back