What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teresa nice job!
Cut my loaf of Cool Water for the guys this morning...
I did a drop swirl for this one, didn't want a thin trace but it was thicker than I wanted, not sure if it was the FO or my heavy handed SB.

004.jpg

006.jpg

Teresa nice job!
I did a drop swirl for this one, didn't want a thin trace but it was thicker than I wanted, not sure if it was the FO or my heavy handed SB.

That is so pretty.... I'm suffering from soap envy now LOL

Teresa nice job!

Beautiful!!

Visited my brand spankin new Smart & Final Extra store that opened up super close to me. First time the giant lard box was at floor level for my convenience. I imagine I'll be spending lots of money soon... Fragrance Buddy oils should arrive in the morning so I'm planning for some one lb testers this weekend.

Sooo, since I really wanted to get some round bars, I`m going to whip another batch with behaving key lime fo.

And then another batch, that`s already prepared and ready to be mixed, its gonna be a basil zebra swirl.

Well, both batches traced faster then I expected and things just went wrong from there. I think Im having a bad soaping week. That faux funnel from soapqueen calling me for a challenge. 2 failed attempts. Running out of colors. I think I should nail it third time. Tomorrow, maybe, hmmm... Now I`m gonna stare at my watermelon soap and tell myself "You can do this!", at least that one is pretty :lol:

Made two batches of soap, but what is noteworthy is that it was my first time using master-batched lye.

O. M. Can I get a G? It makes it all so much simpler - no flaffing about with lye containers and then having lots of pots all caustic and stuff. Just measure out the 50% solution, add in the extra water and be done with it. I am a convert, ladies and gents. I will be annoyingly espousing the benefits of masterbatched lye like some kind of crazy Snake Oil salesman.

I just made an experimental batch (12 oz of oil) of my own recipe. I've scented it with sandalwood e.o. and coloured it with spirulina (itp swirl). Now, to wait.

Oooooh - what was the recipe? If you don't want to go in to all the details, just tease us with some highlights...............

I haven't soaped in two months! Aaaaaaaah... I even measured out oils for my first salt bar the last time I made soap, and it's been sitting just waiting! Things have been truly crazy around here. Work really picked up for me (which is good!), but it means that I'm working 6 days a week, with days long enough to make me basically useless for anything else once I step out of the office.

Oh well, at least I'm not going to be out of soap anytime soon. I have soap from two swaps to work through, plus soaps from the batches I made last year to use for myself, and I have three batches to wrap and label for my giveaway tub. Two batches were the two last ones I made, and the third is a castile I made early this year, ready just in time for Halloween. :D (And the infusions I used to color it give it a Halloween-y color theme too!)

lol Oh man, masterbatching lye is so tempting. I just make so few and so small batches that I worry about the lyewater getting too much time to react with CO2.

But even as it stands, even cleaning up afterwards is too much work! (Some of the stuff I used for the last batch is STILL sitting unwashed...)

Just made a batch of tallow, coconut, and olive oil soap to test what I hope will be my base recipe. I did get fancy and add a little oat flour and calendula. I want to have a well-behaved base recipe before I attempt using the rose FO that I got yesterday!

Oooooh - what was the recipe? If you don't want to go in to all the details, just tease us with some highlights...............

No problem....

30% lard
25% Coconut oil
25% Olive oil
10 % Rice Bran oil (I had a little bit left in the bottle)
10 % Cocoa Butter

5% SF

My liquid was frozen coconut milk.

today's a record 3 batches of soap...one charcoal facial,a soleseife soap that didn't turn to rock like my salt bars....probably going to be my least successful one of the 3.... and I just wrapped up a gray gradient soap with an orange layer toward the top....scented with Cracklin Birch....I'm calling it Winter Solstice..I'd love to call it "On the Road Outside Billings" but we are largely a geographically challenged nation, IMHO....

today's a record 3 batches of soap...one charcoal facial,a soleseife soap that didn't turn to rock like my salt bars....probably going to be my least successful one of the 3.... and I just wrapped up a gray gradient soap with an orange layer toward the top....scented with Cracklin Birch....I'm calling it Winter Solstice..I'd love to call it "On the Road Outside Billings" but we are largely a geographically challenged nation, IMHO....

I use to do marketing in my last job and I had classes all over the US, it made me a lot more knowledgeable about our geography. I spent all day staring at maps to figure out areas to call which were close enough to my classes that it would be worth it. I had a class in Billings even!

Back to soap, I've been wanting to make a charcoal facial bar. I'm curious how that works out.

I made my first batch of Castille soap today (it's still considered Castille if you add silk to the lye water right?). It's hopefully not gelling away in the fridge and should be ready to gift by next Yule.
I needed to soap something, but I have a few batches I haven't even tested yet, so I won't be put out by a long cure time.
Next is a 100% coconut for laundry soap. I'm on a soapy roll!

Made two batches of soap, but what is noteworthy is that it was my first time using master-batched lye.

I will be annoyingly espousing the benefits of masterbatched lye like some kind of crazy Snake Oil salesman.

Let me know if you need help of a saleswoman gent :). I love master batching. These days I've some master batched lye as well as oils on the ready at any given time. I could just wake up one morning, say I want to soap and be done making it before breakfast. Not that I do that but I could. You should really try to master batch your favorite oil combo, melt and portion that out into your typical batch size. When the craving hits, just melt the oils, let cool a bit while preparing the other ingredients, measure out your master batched lye and SB away. No opening a dozen containers, taring the scales every time. Minimal risk of forgetting some oil. No waiting for hours for the lye to cool down either. Is there a down side? I find my self going through the pounds of lye much faster.

Latest posts

Back