What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got a little experiment going on in the kitchen...trying to insure gel on a batch of soap with the help of a large cooler....put the thermometer probe inside and warmed that baby up to over a 100 degrees F...the soap batter was in the low 80's so when the temperature of the cooler dropped below 90 I plugged in the hair dryer again to bring it up to 100 again...I'm leaving the hair dryer in the cooler, just unplugging it....wouldn't want my soap to get a chill after all......seems to be stable above 90 now and when the soap starts saponifying I'm expecting at least another 10 degree jump...sure beats the oven method if this works out....I do remember a volcano happening in that oven months ago....lesson learned!

Not much soaping here, been helping the bf make beer and with his welded decor items, but I did manage to sneak in one more pumpkin bar tonight. An ITP swirl that may have gone horribly wrong. Will see when I cut it on Friday!

1443061454642.jpg

I mostly got 1 oz samples to makes sure I like them first:

Birthday Cake Fragrance

French Vanilla Fragrance

Karma FB Type* Fragrance

Snow Cake FB Type* Fragrance

Vanilla Bean Noel Type Fragrance

Trichomania FB Type* Fragrance

Honey I Washed the Kids FB Type* Fragrance

Rock Star FB Type* Fragrance

Imogen Rose FB Type* Fragrance

Honeysuckle & Jasmine Fragrance

Edited to add: I ordered about 1pm and by 4pm my order had shipped. I am impressed already.

Let me know what you think about Karma, Trichomania and Honey I Washed the Kids. I love the originals but keep hesitating to order them. I worry the coconut won't play nice in CP and I have several other honey FOs so have been on the fence. I also feel like I can get pretty close to Karma with an EO blend of orange, patchouli & benzoin so haven't splurged on that one either.

The tomato juice (I used a whole large can on this 12 lb terrier), and rubbed it in very very well. Then after I rinsed it off, I did another shampoo and it did improve the smell a great deal. He still has a strong scent around the front of his face even though I worked that area very well.

A couple of people after the fact told me about the 1 qt of peroxide, baking soda(forgot the amount but you can find the recipe on line), and 1 tsp of dawn dishwasher mix. Evidently you make a paste of it and put that on, but I don't see how that amount would even cover our little guy.

The gardener told me that he just used Dawn dish washing soap my itself and it worked well. I hope I never have to try it.
Today the gardener and helpers came and boarded up the whole areas around the base of the shed platform in my Secret garden. That section of the garden is totally fenced to keep out the deer, so I'm just not going to let Bodhi go in there again. I never want to deal with the skunk problem again.

One of the managers just had her dog get skunked. Someone said something about peroxide and Dawn dish soap. I have never heard of that one - but I know tomato juice really does not work - from experience.

Let me know what you think about Karma, Trichomania and Honey I Washed the Kids. I love the originals but keep hesitating to order them. I worry the coconut won't play nice in CP and I have several other honey FOs so have been on the fence. I also feel like I can get pretty close to Karma with an EO blend of orange, patchouli & benzoin so haven't splurged on that one either.

I've used Honey I Washed The Kids, as I love the original Lush soap. I have another FO called Honey Bunny, and I cannot tell the difference between them in the finished soap. For me, using the Lush dupes is expensive as I have to have them shipped to NZ from Australia, so that's one that I wouldn't bother ordering again.

I unmouled and cut my SMF October challenge soap - pleased to say it turned out how I wanted. Now I just need to think of the rules!

I went down to the basement to sniff at my new salt bars. Didn't need to go near the bars, the whole basement was smelling lovely.
I still sniffed those bars, lol! And then took some pictures. Now I'm planning a batch with coffee.

image.jpg

I definitely will keep you posted. I am a HUGE fan of honey I washed the kids and normally get the dupe from Daystar but I thought I'd give FB a chance. If it's close to Daystar's dupe I'll be happy. I also ordered the karma from WSP for comparison too.

My heart is filled and I rejoice. (AKA: Puffed up in pride.)

I cut mt Taiwan Circling Swirl. OH MY GOSH! It is da bomb!! Now I understand the excitement you all feel when you are cutting your soaps. They've smeared all over the place, but they still look great. I definitely need a wire cutter for the soap instead of the knife-style cutter I have. I am truly excited and amazed that I made these soaps.

image.jpg

Tried out my new soap planer/beveler. Niiiccccce!!! Boyd (PawPaws Woodcrafts) does a good job of woodworking -- pieces are accurately cut, nicely assembled, and carefully finished. He also shipped this item to me blazingly fast and very well packaged. I was even able to get a left handed version of the beveler -- a real plus! https://www.etsy.com/listing/219852255/unique-beautifully-crafted-wooden-soap

Made my first pine tar soap today. I think the scent may be growing on me, it's really not as bad as I had read about. I was hoping for a super dark loaf (some photos I've seen were quite pale, more beige/tan than pine tar black) so I used 12% PT and it's turned out exactly as I hoped for from the outside, anyway. I unmoulded after 6 hours, it was rock hard!

I'm always finding myself in awe of the soaps people are able to achieve. Such beautiful colors, designs, techniques. They all inspire me :)

Had a failed attempt at faux funnel pringles can soap last night, I was using a Carnation FO from wellington for the first time. I knew it would speed up the trace, but didn`t expect it to accelerate instantly. Had to shovel it down in two cans and while I was slamming it down to get soap packed the bottom lid popped off, Im glad I taped the freezer paper to a can. It was a stressfull evening :crazy:

Sooo, since I really wanted to get some round bars, I`m going to whip another batch with behaving key lime fo.

And then another batch, that`s already prepared and ready to be mixed, its gonna be a basil zebra swirl.

Back