What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planned out several new recipes to test out for myself. I really want to see if I can see some differences. I am doing a 100OO, a 100Lard, a 50/50 Lard/OO and then a bunch of other variations on those I have already done. I then got my kids to bed early enough that I was able to weigh out 6 different recipes to try. I have a low key day planned and will be able to do at least 3 batches before I sleep....I WILL!!! I have the EO blends planned, the recipes printed.

I still have to decide if I want to do additives--I will do color since I have just started using them and want to practice.

But I have Kaolin clay I have yet to use, and I have some frozen/simmered down beer; honey; aloe juice; I am sure there are other things, but can't think of them now... I guess I have a few decisions to make before the AM! :)

Last night when I got home I unmolded my two batches of soap from Sunday. I'm going to check on them tonight to see if they're ready to cut. I'll cut the zebra swirl normally. But I'm going to cut the Tiawan Circling Swirl mantra style. I've never done that, so I hope I comes out OK. If not, nbd, it's still soap, right?

I made a recipe incorporating some gromwell root infused in water....thanks to newbie on her wall pour video I watched to NOT overdo it with the SB...and I didn't take minutes scraping out every last drop of soap batter out of my measuring containers...although the batter stayed fluid the entire time...to say the batter is a light brown is correct...maybe the lye monster will look favorably upon me and at least turn the soap gray.....I don't want to be piggish and ask for blue!
The pots will wait until tomorrow....and I'll get off the lion's share of the residue and throw it on the grass....I don't think my septic is happy with what I've been putting down the sink....LOL....ask me how I know!
Soap on!*

This morning I unmolded the sheep tallow soaps I made Sunday afternoon. They're so smooth and white. I added calendula petals to half the bars and rose petals to the other half. So the rose ones are brown and spotty, but the calendula kept its lovely golden color.

I also ordered some more lye, some rose FO, and some pink kaolin clay because I guess I'm addicted.

This morning I unmolded the sheep tallow soaps I made Sunday afternoon. They're so smooth and white. I added calendula petals to half the bars and rose petals to the other half. So the rose ones are brown and spotty, but the calendula kept its lovely golden color.

I also ordered some more lye, some rose FO, and some pink kaolin clay because I guess I'm addicted.

Yep the lye monster will do that to rose petals (most botanicals actually, calendula is one of the very few that doesn't go brown)

On the subject of rose, you may find you get acceleration with the rose FO, florals are notorious but rose in particular

I've just made some dividers for my loaf mould (as I need them for the October SMF tutorial )

Oops forgot the pic!!
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442960234.337233.jpg

My small square mould also arrived - test batches here I come!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442960267.553876.jpg

I cut my WSP "Jacob's Desire" soap. It was too wet. I should have left it alone. Not happy about the look. Now I really do have to get a planer. There has to be pretty soap under this mess! But, here's a pic. I am NOT cutting my Taiwan circle swirl today.

image.jpg

What did you get jules?

I mostly got 1 oz samples to makes sure I like them first:

Birthday Cake Fragrance

French Vanilla Fragrance

Karma FB Type* Fragrance

Snow Cake FB Type* Fragrance

Vanilla Bean Noel Type Fragrance

Trichomania FB Type* Fragrance

Honey I Washed the Kids FB Type* Fragrance

Rock Star FB Type* Fragrance

Imogen Rose FB Type* Fragrance

Honeysuckle & Jasmine Fragrance

Edited to add: I ordered about 1pm and by 4pm my order had shipped. I am impressed already.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I unpacked my EO and FO order - Christmas came early for Consuela!!

And as always I have buyers remorse......that i didn't buy enough. Haha.

Next, have to order lotion things. Taken me so long to decide because I'll be at my parents the next few weeks and want my stuff to maybe ship there. Gah.

Only because our front door, we don't use it. And the side door is too awkward for leaving parcels. Plus, hubby probably wouldn't see the box for like a week, haha.

Yep the lye monster will do that to rose petals (most botanicals actually, calendula is one of the very few that doesn't go brown)

On the subject of rose, you may find you get acceleration with the rose FO, florals are notorious but rose in particular

Intellectually, I knew this about the rose petals. But I had to see for myself. And I'm fully prepared to hand-stir the rose FO in at thin trace. I'm not trying to do anything fancy; I just want a homemade tallow soap that smells like roses and maybe is pink (from the clay).

We've been skunked!

The past 2 days I'd had to deal with our dog Bodhi, who got stuck under the platform that houses our garden shed. Unfortunately a skunk was living under there. Needless to say, I've spent a lot of time in the shower with the dog, first with loads of shampoo, then finding that didn't work very long before the skunk smell came back, then back in the shower again yesterday,this time with a large can of tomato juice. So he go a tomato juice massage followed by a Pert Plus shampoo. I just settled for the shower and shampoo for myself.

So the only soaping things I've done in that time was get a small order of soaping supplies in the works and move my curing soaps from the dining room table into the den. Oh, I also re-did some of my recipes for various lower water, and printed out various batch sizes of them which I will have to put in plastic covers and put in my 3 ring binder today.

The past 2 days I'd had to deal with our dog Bodhi, who got stuck under the platform that houses our garden shed. Unfortunately a skunk was living under there.

One of the managers just had her dog get skunked. Someone said something about peroxide and Dawn dish soap. I have never heard of that one - but I know tomato juice really does not work - from experience.

I made our favorite salt bar, been planning for atleast 1 week. Original plan was two make 2 molds worth, but I miscalculated initially, luckily caught in time so the batch size grew to 3 of these 5 lb molds. The first time I had made it, only made 8 bars, they were loved by both of us and also my friends, so these will keep me from running out. It's scented with litsea cubeba and eucalyptus, which to my husband smells like a dessert with cardamom powder in it somehow. The colors are oxides from BA, green and the purple is a mix of blue and purple, in an attempt to create lavender. My first drop swirl, can't wait to cut these.

image.jpg

I haven't soaped for a long time, but today I got everything out. I plan on masterbatching oils later and start with an unscented CP soap. Sometimes life gets in the way, but I'm finding my way back to what I love.

I unmolded my soap for this month's challenge before work. I'm hoping it's ready for cutting when I get home. I'm dying to see if my plan came out.

I received my new mold in the mail. I wasn't expecting it until Saturday. Good for me! It is exactly as pictured on ebay and the acrylic inserts fit it perfectly. The inserts also fit my other mold perfectly. It appears the ebay seller buys a bunch of molds cheaply and cuts the acrylic dividers to fit the molds, then resells the set for a nice profit. Capitalism at its finest! If I was good with a saw, I might do that, too. But, alas, I need all of my fingers to type with at work. Perhaps when I retire I can revisit the idea of capitalism. I'm looking forward to Sunday so I can try out my new mold!

Latest posts

Back