What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to make a baby soap and my recipe is 78% olive oil and 22% coconut oil ,before starting I want experienced soap makers to give their valuable and precious opinion about my recipe .Will it be a good recipe for baby soap ?:yawn::yawn:
Umeali - I make a 'baby and me' soap which is the exact same recipe as all my other bar soaps; 85 % coconut oil then equal percentages of cocoa butter, shea butter and castor oil. Makes a DIVINELY hard (yet gentle) bar that has a super creamy lather and moisturizes beautifully. I am not a fan of OO and this high percentage CO soap is a best seller - just sharing my two cents worth

I bought a 5 lb bucket of lard and some castor oil to make a carrot cake scented soap for the hubs, does that count as doing something soapy?

Unmolded the coffee soap and holy moly it still partial gelled! I popped that puppy in the fridge immediatly! Well, at least the bullseye is pretty. The soap finally came out nicely, I'm happy with that batch now :).

Went to cut the sandalwood and ohhhhhkay I now have a new thread started. Colored lather...bleh. Picked up more lard and olive oil. And am plotting on doing another batch...trying to decide what fragrance to use...tad gun shy considering the last two didn't cooperate (and they did on their test bars...booo).

Umeali - I make a 'baby and me' soap which is the exact same recipe as all my other bar soaps; 85 % coconut oil then equal percentages of cocoa butter, shea butter and castor oil. Makes a DIVINELY hard (yet gentle) bar that has a super creamy lather and moisturizes beautifully. I am not a fan of OO and this high percentage CO soap is a best seller - just sharing my two cents worth

This is something I very rarely do, but I am going to disagree very strongly with this post. I don't want to offend you, MM, but I am a grown up, and would have a huge amount of trouble with that much CO, even w/a high SF. Umeali, I encourage you to post a separate thread on this so that you can get as wide a range of opinion/input as you can before you proceed, you want to be extra careful w/this since it is for babies.

Last edited:
I attempted to make rose scented soap. I have worked with this fragrance before so I expected everything to go smoothly... but for some reason it seized on me and I managed to salvage it via HP. I've been planning the design for a few days now and I was so excited to get it done, but sometimes stuff happens. My whole day is ruined D: I will try again tomorrow...

I got an order in of a few new FOs. There isn't a bad one in the lot! Don't you love when that happens?

Tonight I'm making lip scrubs and getting ready for soaping tomorrow.

While cleaning a cabinet in the bathroom I discovered a bag of the first or second HP soap that I ever made. Still white, a few DOS. Was mostly a coconut oil recipe so I thought Laundry Soap! My kitchen is a disaster and my soap solution won't stay blended BUT it smells really, really good and I can't wait to do laundry tomorrow.:grin:

Diluted more KOH soap paste to make RTU (ready to use) liquid soap. It's Irish Lass' olive-CO-castor recipe. Spent 5 minutes getting it set up last night and the soap is dissolved and ready this morning. I added preservative and scent and poured it into a storage bottle. No heat, no fuss, easy peasy.

Digression -- I don't know why so many Facebook liquid soapers make such a deal out of making liquid soap. They seem proud of all the hours spent cooking and testing the paste and heating it to dilute and such. Some have given up on making liquid soap since it's "too hard to do and takes so long to make." The social culture of FB soaping groups seems to thrive on this angst -- I don't see many of these soapers trying to find a better, simpler method. Thank goodness for Susie, Irish Lass, and all you other SMF liquid soapers!

I want to start making liquid soap eventually, but I need to get way more comfortable making bar soap first! Not complaining though since I'm having so much fun with it! No soaping for me today, have a marching band competition :(

The only soaping I'll be doing this week is pouring a sink full of soapy water for washing the dishes. We have company for the next week and, additionally, it seems my husband really isn't very thrilled with the thought of me getting (back) into another hobby. I guess I'll back off for a while. :(

I went to DG to get vinegar so I could do laundry and some other cleaning. While I was there, I saw (for the first time ever) Pringles singles. I checked the number on the bottom on the plastic, then bought a pack. It was a "5." I have 8 cool shaped single molds. And sour cream and onion chips that I have to eat at some point. Everything is a mold. I'm not even a fan of Pringles. I prefer Kettle Cooked chips. Applewood smoked kettle cooked chips to be exact (or wasabi ginger).

Diluted more KOH soap paste to make RTU (ready to use) liquid soap. It's Irish Lass' olive-CO-castor recipe. Spent 5 minutes getting it set up last night and the soap is dissolved and ready this morning. I added preservative and scent and poured it into a storage bottle. No heat, no fuss, easy peasy.

Digression -- I don't know why so many Facebook liquid soapers make such a deal out of making liquid soap. They seem proud of all the hours spent cooking and testing the paste and heating it to dilute and such. Some have given up on making liquid soap since it's "too hard to do and takes so long to make." The social culture of FB soaping groups seems to thrive on this angst -- I don't see many of these soapers trying to find a better, simpler method. Thank goodness for Susie, Irish Lass, and all you other SMF liquid soapers!

I've been thinking about moving towards liquid soap next and admit to being intimidated by the "process". Your digression gives me a bit more confidence to give it a try. Thank you.

This is something I very rarely do, but I am going to disagree very strongly with this post. I don't want to offend you, MM, but I am a grown up, and would have a huge amount of trouble with that much CO, even w/a high SF. Umeali, I encourage you to post a separate thread on this so that you can get as wide a range of opinion/input as you can before you proceed, you want to be extra careful w/this since it is for babies.

My soap is made with a 30% superfat and is very popular here in South Africa. People come to me all the time commenting on how gentle and lovely my soap is! My sister in law has been using it on her newborn and her three year old so its definitely safe.
I was just sharing what works for me, feel free to take it or leave it :smile::smile:

Diluted more KOH soap paste to make RTU (ready to use) liquid soap. It's Irish Lass' olive-CO-castor recipe. Spent 5 minutes getting it set up last night and the soap is dissolved and ready this morning. I added preservative and scent and poured it into a storage bottle. No heat, no fuss, easy peasy

DeeAnna, I'm going to dilute my LS paste and add some herbs to use as a liquid shampoo. I want to add a preservative and I've optiphen plus. Does the soap have to be a certain temp or is it enough that it stays below 45 C ? I want to dilute using the no heat method like you, do I have to warm it up a bit for the preservative?

Why do you use preservatives in liquid soap if you don't mind me asking? I ordered KOH with my last lye order thinking I might want to try making it. Where could I find IL's recipe please?

I was going through withdrawl...lye is on order and only a smidgen left. Thanks to experienced members here I was able to adapt my recipe to use up every last gram. It gave me enough to make 4 bars, 3 filled up my new coffee bean mold and the extra made a full rectangle mold bar. The coffee mold bar will be a gift for my sister who downs 3 pots a day! Included with the soap will be a mug that says "Coffee Ho, yeah I even bathe in the stuff!"
Here's a pic (not mine) of the finished soap with my new mold:

coffee bean soap mold.jpg

I guess most floral scents are like that...it's the next day and I'm still sad about it... *hugs you and cries on your shoulders* <3 haha lol

I'm a good shoulder to cry on :)

Today I CRY.

Decided this AM would be a good time to upgrade my iOS.... stupid stupid stupid stupid... Good thing I backed up my pics the other day (not so much backed up as just dragged and drop) - but not so good that I haven't done like "a real backup" since June....

So... anyway computer was stuck on this "slide to update" screen and so I tried various methods all morning to fix my phone...

And now its restoring to factory defaults...

I CRY. Did i say that already?

How annoying... as now I'm sure my Mother in Law thinks I've sluffed off our afternoon date today - as I was supposed to call her this afternoon. In fact, I would have called except my phone... is being an ass....

:(

Also... no soapy things today. Aside from decide on some clays.

Back