What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I made a Dragon Fruit - inspired soap testing out a new colorant I purchased hoping it will give me the color I seek after gel. (Pitaya Sunrise smoothie from Juice it Up is the bright fuchsia I am aiming for), so fingers and toes crossed! I also made a hemp soap per request from an entire Dentist office staff. My house is wafting with the sweet scent of very ripe pears...

I opened a box of goodies sent by a very lovely and generous soaper and spent an hour giving myself a headache smelling all the FOs LOL.

How pretty! I love the colors in the sweet grass.

My Pitaya Smoothie Soap Results

Just unmolded, beveled, stamped and photographed my Pitaya Passion soap I made the other day, and am quite pleased at the new (to me) colorant I've been seeking. Other than the dreadful drag line I created, (but will clean off prior to packaging), I think it looks pretty decent. Today, I will make my chocolate and java, Peru-inspired loaf of soap since I'm down to only a few bars, and will place another big order of supplies.

Pitaya Passion Soap.jpg

I REALLY want to do a coffee soap. But there are just so many variables to naturally colouring soap that I've been procrastinating.

So this morning I worked out what methods I wanted to try, percentages of each infusion and fragrance to try and a basic recipe to use that I could split easily . Then I started a hot oil infusion and a 'tea' of coffee grounds to start experimenting with.

Tomorrow comes the real stuff.

i made soap last night, and left it on top of my dehydrator when i was on to get it to gel. went to sleep and forgot about it. woke up today to some brain looking thing on top, and the bottom seeping a bit - it's overheated. i'm gonna leave it in the mold for a few days before i cut into it. hate it when soaping goes wrong. i need to make another batch, but i've now lost confidence

You have way too many posts to lose confidence, you *know* how wrong-headed the soap can be even when you do everything right, and this time there was just a mistake! I know what you mean about losing impetus when the gremlins come to visit, but I hope you don't.

Not particularly soap related but I did make a lot of scrubs! :) These are some of my salt & sugar scrubs. Just a crappy 10-sec photo collection because I just wanted to share this. I blurred out the images a bit in case it's not permitted.
I have made 6 large batches over the last couple of days, packaged and everything. I now have an enormous large blister on the hand I was stirring the buckets with, haha!
Hope to do some soaping tomorrow again!

Selection of scrubs.jpg

Scrubs.jpg

I just made some master batched colorants with the oxides I have. I used glycerin as was suggested on a few posts. I did a 1:1 ratio (tablespoon) to see how it works out. It's got to be better than turning cloths green and blue. I actually have the jars labeled. I would never be able to tell the pink, violet and blue ultramarine so apart if I didn't. Fortunately, when I picked up the glycerin, Dianna's had the little jars for sale, too. Snagged a dozen @ .80 each including lid for the 2 oz size.

image.jpg

I hope you have a speedy recovery, Shunt!

I took care of some housekeeping: organized all my handwritten notes back onto my Evernote, organized my supplies, and got a big order of lotion making goodies in the mail. Lotioncrafter ships amazingly fast, I cannot wait until this weekend when I'm going to have a soap and lotion making extravaganza. I bought some EDTA to play with that and powdered sodium lactate so soaping should be interesting.

I unmolded and rough-trimmed my pine-tar cold processed, and set out for its 8 week cure...

...and made a Liquid Pine Tar Soap that is soaking in all its awesome glory in its crockpot jacuzzi. After its overnight romp with dilution, it too shall be put away to sequester, and think about how wonderful it is going to become when it grows up in a few weeks.

My house smells unmistakably like pine flavored leather.

LS Pine Tar.jpg

Bar Soap Pine Tar.jpg

Latest posts

Back