What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done SO much soaping and crafting this month. My hands are raw from doing dishes. :)

1. Made my first solid lotion bars, with white beeswax, mango butter, coconut oil, and apricot oil, with edible vanilla FO. So, pretty much lip balm also.
  2. Did my first diagonal lines in the loaf mold (45 degree tilt).
  3. Used buttermilk powder for the first time.
  4. Got my first acrylic soap stamp and practiced on a couple dozen bars.
  5. Tried sodium lactate. (Hard to tell big difference so far.)
  6. Got a killer deal on some fresh evoo online... for like half the normal price due only to Amazon's auto-pricing rules

Jules, your stamping looks great! I am still figuring out how to make mine work, there is definitely some skill involved there.

It definitely took some effort to figure out. The first few days I couldn't get any detail off it, just an outline, I was feeling flustered. But a few more days cure and voila!

I cut the soap I made with my mum - she poured I used the hanger tool

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1438512807.968309.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1438512830.863003.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1438512846.387827.jpg

Thanks! Half the yellow first then half the pinks (there are two but very close in colour unfortunately) and the white then the rest of the yellow and the pinks/white.

The pinks and white were small portions - just 1 ladle each. Didn't really follow a pattern for the colours just random. Poured them from a height so the sank a little.

After seeing Sonya's soap I hate to even show mine!

After cutting it, you can just barely kinda almost see a faint pink spot! But it smells fantastic! I used MMS Moonlight Path and Oatmeal, Milk and Honey for scents.

So as far as the plan, it's a failure. But it's still nice and I learned a couple of valuable lessons. That a good thing!

20150802_110604_zpsvykthcwm.jpg

I had a go at laundry powder made with coconut oil soap, washing soda and sodium sesquicarbonate (borax sunstitute as it is banned in the EU). I made laundry butter but I found it too messy so I just took the water out to see if I like it better. It seemed to form a nice powder when I whizzed it in the food processor, probably should have let the soap cure a bit longer as it was a bit too fresh and soft, but it seems better and easier to handle than the butter.

I cut my orange lavender soap which looks more like a pumpkin purée soap, from all the red palm oil in the batter. One solid color, no swirls.
A little later, I was chatting with hubby and on a whim, went down to basement and brought out the three swirly soaps to see which one he liked, he picked my first one for swirls and his fav mint and star anise for the scent.
And then I sniffed through my AHRE samplers, I got 60 of them, most are flowery and fruity ones with some other categories mixed in. I really liked most of the flowers and then the rapture, badedas, the heavenly honeysuckle but my most fav ones are frozen, which is predominantly flowery and the baby fresh which is the most refreshing. Also their cool citrus basil smells just like the B&BW oob, don't know how it would soap. Almost paradise smells very coconuty. There are only 3 or 4 sickeningly sweet ones and a really repulsive red lipstick which I may never use in anything.

Do you have badedas fragrance?!?! I love that smell and have never seen it anywhere.

On the off chance, no one has ever seen a fenjal dupe have they? That is my favourite scent of all time and I have never been able to find anything even close.

Yes, I got the 1 ounce sampler in the sale. It is really nice green, spa like scent. I can't compare it to any original you might have come across before since this is my first FO order if one could discount my actual first order of 2 FOs in all.
The fenjal, I have no idea, sorry!

ETA: just had to google fenjal and the search came up with a line of bath and body products. Some reviews said the scent has notes of vanilla, pines and rose.

Last edited:
Badedas is a thick green yellow bubble bath, or was in the 80s. I love the smell. It has some brown things on the bottle like chestnuts but I think your description of the smell sounds exactly like how I remember. That's why it reminded me of fenjal, another 80's throwback that I love the scent of even more. Wouldn't mind me some badedas though. I wonder if it is no longer on sale if they are selling the fragrance under the actual badedas name.

Mrs S, very nice organization!

Aselland, I love the creamy look of that soap. Very nice, uniform color. Looks like orange is a great scent for it!

I made a batch of soap with the BF today for the first time ever. He came to visit me for the weekend/my b-day. Usually I kick him out of the kitchen when I soap (esp. When he lived with me!) He wanted to do a craft with me for my birthday. (Soap, duh). We made a simple HP soap with lavender chamomile FO from RE. He picked the scent. He said he was surprised at how much fun it was and how much math it involves. He thought you "just weighed and mixed stuff".

The whole time he called me "the Julia child of soap making" so sweet! Lol.

Feeling inspired, when he left to go back home (4 hours away...), I tested 23 RE FOs from the sale.

Soap we made:

uploadfromtaptalk1438565620390.jpg

FO testers:

uploadfromtaptalk1438565640935.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back