What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my kids call it cheese cake soap

Salt Soap look like cheese cake.:grin:

20150708_195950.jpg

20150708_200315.jpg

20150708_210935.jpg

Congrats Stacy! That is awesome!

Not_Ally I am so with you. I would just like one pretty soap this weekend I can feel excited about, is that too much to ask for?! Lol!

I have hopes for the carrot and beer soaps, Jules, they are pretty simple, so hopefully just the colors and textures will make them nice. The darn challenge soap, though! I am cursed there, didn't get pics of the first try and the second and third were both hideous. Hopefully no. 4 will not be abysmal, God knows I should have enough practice at this point ....

Sinsgirl, I don't sell, don't think Jules does either. Several people do though, hopefully they will jump in. Some of the folks who live around here and sell are cmzaha, tvivian, handavaka (their boardnames.

Last edited:
What is your price point on your soap bars? Curious in California:smile:

I can only speak for myself, but I'm probably at the low end of the scale...I live in a very rural area, so higher prices would result in no sales... But my basic bars using more common oils- OO,CO, lard, tallow- are $3. Anything using more unusual oils or additives are anywhere from $4-6. I get very low prices on my basic oils from the local Amish community here, and that's the reason I can keep my price low and still make a profit.

This is by no means my first batch of gms. but, for some reason, when i poured the lye onto the frozen milk and it was dissolving as usual-halfway through it started to look grainy....
it also had a rotten egg smell...
i continued stirring for half an hour. still no difference. I assumed it might be because i used a "first milk" from a new milking goat and it was very rich and superfatted.
It continued to smell the same as I mixed it in the oils. I CPOP and the smell is still here.
can someone help me figure out what happened?

I just had a similar experience. I get my gm frozen in gallon bags from a neighbor, then I defrost it to measure out and put in smaller bags to freeze. No problem. But this time the defrosted milk sat in my fridge as I didn't have the time to re-bag it. The milk separated and when I got around to putting it in smaller bags I tried to even out the fat and watery part. I went ahead and made the soap, it still smells funky and no scent at all. I won't be doing that again! :-(

I just cut my liquorice soap ( no colour just scent ) i scented with bay leaf, star anise, sweet fennel, aniseed, lavender, sweet orange, and pink grapefruit.

Today my husband bought a storage stand (aka soap curing rack) for super cheap at Home Depot. I took a long hard look at it, and realized it clearly needs more soap on it...after my last sale! YIKES!! Today, a loaf or two of The Nudie Bar shall be born.

Freed my supplies from their prison at Canada Post. Now asking myself why I bought only Orange 5 fold, Pink and White Grapefruit EOs and nothing to stick the suckers with... Really I know better.

After not making soap for nearly 5 months I decided today was the day. To my great surprise it was relaxing and enjoyable. Over the past year I have usually been stressed and worried as I made soap as a beginner. Sure, things didn't work out exactly like I wanted them to in the design and color departments - but overall I am pleased. I don't have a camera or phone in my studio with me right now or I would photograph the 3 soaps I made today.

I will upload the pics later on in my file.

I also just did some research here for a new recipe using avocado and mango butters - enjoying that as well! Thanks for being here everyone!

Denise in NC

I gave Shredder a bath with my coffee soap. I cut and photographed my 1st attempt at July's soap challenge. I bought some non-skid liners for my soap drying racks. I also bought some sticky back foam sheets to line my molds with to see if that will help. I'm going to cut it to the correct size and stick it to saran wrap (not the mold). This way, I can reuse the liner. At least, that's the plan. Don't know if it will work. I was at the dollar store and they only had the sticky back foam sheets. I would have rather had regular foam sheets. But, since it was an impulse buy, I can't complain.

Latest posts

Back