What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no. I hope you try again, I think (a) that sounds like a great combo; (b) it is really arresting visually and (c) is unusual and interesting, I would think buyers would be curious. Is it a salty one? Def. post when you get the new design done, I want to see it! Soapy night revelations can only be good :)

What is nopal in nopal/avocado?

I've made two of four mini batches of Bastille. I was going to make a 2# loaf after work. Then I was going to use the oils for my July challenge. But I finally settled on mini (8 oz) batches to try out my FO. Two down and two to go. I colored my mulberry FO with brick red oxide and my lemon verbena with yellow oxide. (Kinda obvious choices there. I'm not that creative.). I'm going with ultramarine blue for the autumn fig and green oxide for the bitter almond. (I could use cocoa powder for the fig and leave the almond natural, but I just bought the colorants and I want to try them out.) They all smell amazing oob; only time will tell if the scent sticks. I need to check my grapefruit loaf from this weekend and see if it is ready to cut. Man that smells great!

Edit: uh, yellow and blue make green. And an ugly pea soup green at that. My soap batter was a yellowish color because of the EVOO. When I added the ultramarine blue, I got a gross green. Wasn't expecting that. I was expecting a lovely blue and got vomit instead. Then I remembered yellow and blue make green. I should've gone with the violet...

Last edited:
Handavaka, that mold is hugemongeous. How big is it and how much does it hold? It looks as long as I am tall. Too bad I am significantly wider, though.
Hi, Teresa T! It is a 3# mold that I had custom made because I have my soaps cut a specific size. I think it looks elongated because of the angle of the camera. It's 20 inches long. JUST manageable for me. Any bigger and I'd have issues with stress...both on the soap and myself. I sure wish I could find a custom soap cutter though. I've seen the super nice ones that seem quite popular but look like they only cut a standard to slightly above - standard bar. My soap is like a CHUNK....I need a custom soap "chunker"! Right now and for years, good ol' cheese cutter and hand beveling. [emoji17]

Hi, Teresa T! It is a 3# mold that I had custom made because I have my soaps cut a specific size. I think it looks elongated because of the angle of the camera. It's 20 inches long. JUST manageable for me. Any bigger and I'd have issues with stress...both on the soap and myself. I sure wish I could find a custom soap cutter though. I've seen the super nice ones that seem quite popular but look like they only cut a standard to slightly above - standard bar. My soap is like a CHUNK....I need a custom soap "chunker"! Right now and for years, good ol' cheese cutter and hand beveling. [emoji17]

Have you tried contacting any of the makers of the cutters to see if they are able to make yours to the customer width you use? When I got mine made the guy was able to make the cut to what I wanted. Doesn't hurt to ask. :D

SoapStephanie, how come you're not on the challenge list? Come on, join in (espec. 'cause you're doing it anyway!)

Not sure what you mean, since I did apply for this months challenge. :wink:
So I assume there a certain tread on this forum?

Not sure what you mean, since I did apply for this months challenge. :wink:
So I assume there a certain tread on this forum?

Yes, it is the one below - did not see your name, so jump in and add it! It is a long thread, but people have really just started w/their attempts. One of them in particular, is incredibly awful (cough, cough, I did my best, the gremlins attacked!) you will laugh at the pics!

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=54947

What is nopal in nopal/avocado?

'Nopal' is the spanish word for cactus. :) Quite tasty too. My grandmother made a huevos (eggs) dish with nopales and chorizo... There's a restaurant here that serves huevos with either nopales or chorizo, but not both. :( I even asked if I could have it specially made.

'Nopal' is the spanish word for cactus. :) Quite tasty too. My grandmother made a huevos (eggs) dish with nopales and chorizo... There's a restaurant here that serves huevos with either nopales or chorizo, but not both. :( I even asked if I could have it specially made.

Ah! Thank you. I see them a lot in the grocery store. Can't imagine how you'd cook it. Now that I know the Spanish word for it, I'll look for it on a menu the next time I'm in a Mexican or South American restaurant.

Actually, how do you soap with it? It's obviously a succulent and I guess it has gel in it similar to aloe. But how do you get the gel?

I've never tried cooking it myself! lol I think you do the same as with the aloe, but I'm not sure

And as for my current adventures in soaping... I measured out my fragrance for the winter holiday swap, and went to find my mold... Only I couldn't find my mold! :( Grrr.... Now I'm going to have to rethink things, since I have an accelerator in there.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else had thrown the mold away. It was a tissue box that I had beefed up with some foam board around it. But I'm ticked anyways. Everyone knows I soap, and it would have been with my soaping stuff.

Nothing! I was supposed to be having another go at the challenge but an out patient procedure I've had today that was supposed to be routine has resulted in being admitted!! I'm ok now, just waiting for the doctor to discharge me

Teresa T
I scrub it and blend it with a small amount of aloe vera with my stick blender until it is frothy. When the froth settles, it looks and feels like gel. Its color after blending is a very beautiful green. It probably would have made an amazing additive to my soap but I made an error. I'm I'm Southern California....nopal (cactus leaf) is rampant. I purchase mine instead of cut it off myself. It does have prickly spines but in the store, the spines are removed. I scrub the heck out of the skin though and do an inspection just to be sure. Just prior to cutting up, I dip the whole leaf in boiling water for a few seconds to clean off any debris I might have missed. I tried to upload a pic but I am away from my computer. If you'd like a pic, I can attach one, or just Google the word nopal.

I made Goats milk soap but....

This is by no means my first batch of gms. but, for some reason, when i poured the lye onto the frozen milk and it was dissolving as usual-halfway through it started to look grainy....
it also had a rotten egg smell...
i continued stirring for half an hour. still no difference. I assumed it might be because i used a "first milk" from a new milking goat and it was very rich and superfatted.
It continued to smell the same as I mixed it in the oils. I CPOP and the smell is still here.
can someone help me figure out what happened?

Teresa T
I scrub it and blend it with a small amount of aloe vera with my stick blender until it is frothy. When the froth settles, it looks and feels like gel. Its color after blending is a very beautiful green. It probably would have made an amazing additive to my soap but I made an error. I'm I'm Southern California....nopal (cactus leaf) is rampant. I purchase mine instead of cut it off myself. It does have prickly spines but in the store, the spines are removed. I scrub the heck out of the skin though and do an inspection just to be sure. Just prior to cutting up, I dip the whole leaf in boiling water for a few seconds to clean off any debris I might have missed. I tried to upload a pic but I am away from my computer. If you'd like a pic, I can attach one, or just Google the word nopal.

Thanks for the info! We have a large Hispanic/Latino community in the area, so we're getting more and more "exotic" foods in the grocery stores. Cactus leaves are one of the things popping up at the local Walmarts and BiLos. I remember seeing them a lot when I lived in Texas. I just never could figure out why there were cactus leaves in the produce section for the first year or two I lived there. I remember the first time I ate a plantain. I thought it was a banana. It wasn't. Anyway, now I know what they are and what to do with them. Next paycheck should be an interesting shopping experience. :)

Teresa T....I soooo LOL when I read your comment about the "plantain"....haha! I'm married to a Peruvian, whose mother is married to a Cuban....so I make a lot of food I've never made before...with ingredients I'd never see back home (I'm originally from South Dakota). Fried Plantains are amazing...and yes...they are a far cry from a banana. We have a Cardenas here. It is an amazing grocery store tailored to Hispanic/Spanish style cuisine. Olive oil, Avocado Oil, Fruits/Veggies CHEAP!!!! We use some nopal in our food....I'm use A LOT OF JALAPEÑOS and sometimes the greens get lost in the flavors...but the textures are still quite interesting. Nopal gives an interesting, earthy taste. I think it tastes the way fresh cut grass smells like, if that makes sense. Enjoy your endeavors!

not_ally~
Yep!! Good ol South Dakota! But found my way back to Cali. My hands have definitely been full marrying a Peruvian. One who LOVES his mama's cooking...so it was VERY important to pay attention when she taught me some dishes....and oh my THE LOMO SALTADO??!!! Where have you been my whole life? Hahahaha. South Dakota is known for their great steaks....and produce. Corn and wheat are a big deal there. I'm not a huge meat eater....I actually prefer very clear soups, salads....healthy clean food eating. Whenever I go back "home" my friends and family always ask what happened to me??!! Lol

Back