What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I would have just poured a few seconds earlier, it was very thin and would have looked great. It only took me stepping away for about 10 seconds for it to set up. It turned out ok though, one bar has a spot in the corner where the pine tar/OO mix didn't get fully incorporated but not enough to warrant rebatch.

I hope it's worth the trouble and will help with my skin issues.

I made the decision to start the ball rolling to sell! I don't plan to sell anything until the end of the year, in time for Christmas craft markets by then I'll have been soaping a year. So I'm gonna register as a sole trader and get my recipe assessed.

Just tested our latest creation! I'm incorporating what essential oils grow around me for the scent and for the additives. Not much fat's are available around here so we left that part out. The scent is spot on to what my goals were, I'm really happy with that. The exfoliation and color is perfect as well! The only issue is the lather and bubbles, we're going to give it more cure time to see how that goes. If it takes too long, we might adjust the base oils some to get it where we want. Each time we create a new bar we like to play around with base oils, even if it's not quite right it's worth the experiment!

Another fun thing. For our 2 children we do a birthday soap for them! They invent the looks and scent blend and the name. We help with the base oils based on what they want and do the mixing -- we don't want my 8 and 9 year old's mixing lye. Our daughter wanted a soap like lemon cake, and wanted a lemon cake for her birthday. We made the birthday cake soap a little over 2 months before her birthday. She changed her mind and wanted an oreo cake for the celebration, which turned out amazing. The birthday soap turned out even more amazing! She ended up naming it "Lemon Sprinkles", which feels very fitting. All of the profits from the sales goes to her, it's a fun way to include our kids involved and teach them about soap + business.

Link if you want to check it out:
https://www.earthenstep.com/index.php/handcrafted-soaps/lemon-sprinkles.html

DSCN6910.JPG

I made the decision to start the ball rolling to sell! I don't plan to sell anything until the end of the year, in time for Christmas craft markets by then I'll have been soaping a year. So I'm gonna register as a sole trader and get my recipe assessed.

Congrats Sonya!!! Very excited for you!!! Best of luck to you - I'm sure you'll do GREAT!

Just tested our latest creation! I'm incorporating what essential oils grow around me for the scent and for the additives. Not much fat's are available around here so we left that part out. The scent is spot on to what my goals were, I'm really happy with that. The exfoliation and color is perfect as well! The only issue is the lather and bubbles, we're going to give it more cure time to see how that goes. If it takes too long, we might adjust the base oils some to get it where we want. Each time we create a new bar we like to play around with base oils, even if it's not quite right it's worth the experiment!

Another fun thing. For our 2 children we do a birthday soap for them! They invent the looks and scent blend and the name. We help with the base oils based on what they want and do the mixing -- we don't want my 8 and 9 year old's mixing lye. Our daughter wanted a soap like lemon cake, and wanted a lemon cake for her birthday. We made the birthday cake soap a little over 2 months before her birthday. She changed her mind and wanted an oreo cake for the celebration, which turned out amazing. The birthday soap turned out even more amazing! She ended up naming it "Lemon Sprinkles", which feels very fitting. All of the profits from the sales goes to her, it's a fun way to include our kids involved and teach them about soap + business.

Link if you want to check it out:
https://www.earthenstep.com/index.php/handcrafted-soaps/lemon-sprinkles.html

I absolutely love your packaging! So adorable, they look like little presents themselves :) I wish I could smell them from here - sounds yummy!

I absolutely love your packaging! So adorable, they look like little presents themselves :) I wish I could smell them from here - sounds yummy!

Ty for the remarks. The packaging looks more like the pictures below. The picture above had little gift's for props. The new packaging has the thinner hemp twine (same as those lil gifts). The jute twine in the pictures below were too big and hairy and had an odd smell (no gross jokes please :Kitten Love:).

package.jpg

package2.jpg

Made two batches for the alternative liquid swap. Really really hoping this is the one after fragrance shortage, fragrance disappointments, and fragrance discoloring... 4th is the charm!

Tried making a soap to use up some of the embeds of the over-scented soap. Fail fail fail. I did a partial swap of water for a mixture of oatmilk, milk powder, and honey. I SHOULD have put the SL and citric acid in with that...but I didn't and not everything wanted to dissolve in the lye water, even adding extra... And that put me at my water limit (as I had already added my oatmilk mixture to the oils, along with the oats used to make the oatmilk on a whim). I went ahead and soaped anyways, straining out the undissolved bits of the lyewater, and it took forever to get to a heavy enough trace to support the embeds, but not really surprising considering how much water had to be in it. I poured the soap into my PVC mold and went to tap out the bubbles... and the pipe came out of the base, spilling batter EVERYWHERE. :( Cue frantic efforts to clean up before my cat came looking for me. I even got batter on my arms between my sleeves and gloves, but couldn't rinse them off immediately because of clean-up efforts.

I lost maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 of the batter to clean up, and so now I have no clue if it's safe or not or anything... :( And this was not my night because I've been having drama with Dad over cleaning up common areas and my soaping has been a bit of a point of contention, because parts of it inherently get left in common areas for a day or more (the soap in the mold, the soapy dishes that get cleaned up once they're saponified...)

Made 2 small batches to test out some new fragrances I bought. We will see if they discolour or not as the website I got them for didn't have any info about it. Second time CPOP and it went well.

Tried making a soap to use up some of the embeds of the over-scented soap. Fail fail fail. I did a partial swap of water for a mixture of oatmilk, milk powder, and honey. I SHOULD have put the SL and citric acid in with that...but I didn't and not everything wanted to dissolve in the lye water, even adding extra... And that put me at my water limit (as I had already added my oatmilk mixture to the oils, along with the oats used to make the oatmilk on a whim). I went ahead and soaped anyways, straining out the undissolved bits of the lyewater, and it took forever to get to a heavy enough trace to support the embeds, but not really surprising considering how much water had to be in it. I poured the soap into my PVC mold and went to tap out the bubbles... and the pipe came out of the base, spilling batter EVERYWHERE. :( Cue frantic efforts to clean up before my cat came looking for me. I even got batter on my arms between my sleeves and gloves, but couldn't rinse them off immediately because of clean-up efforts.

I lost maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 of the batter to clean up, and so now I have no clue if it's safe or not or anything... :( And this was not my night because I've been having drama with Dad over cleaning up common areas and my soaping has been a bit of a point of contention, because parts of it inherently get left in common areas for a day or more (the soap in the mold, the soapy dishes that get cleaned up once they're saponified...)

I'm so sorry flyby. I know the troubles all too well. HUGS!!!

Tried to create embeds out of my rainbow soap from last night and was disappointed in how they turned out. So, turned to MP instead and used glycerin to make it pliable so I could work it with my hands before it solidified. Think these turned out pretty good!

IMG_0658.JPG

So I made a "Passion" soap today (fragrance is from Nature's Garden). With some piping on top and heart embeds.
I was feeling bad for the other loaf who was just sitting around idle so I made a Honey soap next to that! With the Honey Bee fragrance (which is amazing) and of course, honey!

Oh, and I accidentally dropped my camera and now the lens won't retract... :lolno:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back