What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was Hot Process Monday, so I made "Chocolatey Amaretto Espresso Spa Soap", "Layered Lemongrass, Patchouli & Gardenia" and "Lavender Peppermint Hair Soap Hearts". Feeling accomplished!

1425950186480.jpg

1425950202151.jpg

1425950214962.jpg

The cut (s): "Snake Skin Limited", scented with OMH and Black Cherry; "Posh", scented with Sweet Grass and Green Amber, and "Sandalwood Vanilla" naturally colored b6 the vanilla...also got to play around with my tree stamp.

Made these last night!! All are SQ tuts and 1st attempts. I am SUPER proud of the results thus far! "Busy Beeswax", "Black, White and Gold All Over", and Vertical Sandalwood Vanilla, with a Twist"

1425950550079.jpg

1425950562474.jpg

1425950570894.jpg

1425950583325.jpg

1425950599197.jpg

"I rendered some tallow and I accepted defeat and moved all my soapy stuff out of the kitchen and into my craft room. I fought the good fight, tried to keep as much of it in the kitchen as possible but when hubby said " I can't remodel the kitchen with all this soap stuff in it" I got the hint and moved it ALL today lol"

RhondaJ too funny! My boyfriend is convinced I go to his house to cook & eat when he's not home because my kitchen is in perpetual soap production mode!

Sorry on the iPhone & can't figure out how to quote!!!

RhondaJ too funny! My boyfriend is convinced I go to his house to cook & eat when he's not home because my kitchen is in perpetual soap production mode!

HAHAHAHA We work in a restaurant so I RARELY cook at home and we live in FL which means when we do cook at home it's outside on the grill. So yeah, my kitchen has been the "soap room" for months, but hubby has been itching to remodel - new flooring, new appliances...which includes a DISHWASHER! So yeah, I gave him the kitchen space....for now :D Muahahahahahaha!

I've just ordered some new FOs:

Fresh cut grass
Chocolate & coconut
Parma violet
English rain
Honey & apricot

Which to use first???

Made a soap today from my masterbatch! :D I really need to get better at pouring from containers without spilling all over the place... I was also playing around with it. I blended two FOs that I'd soaped with before on their own, and I was playing around with colors.

I saw on some soap video somewhere on youtube that one person with a vanilla-discoloring FO wanted a bit of a darker soap than what her FO would do... so she added vanilla extract. I decided I wanted to play around with it, so I measured out a tiny bit of extract (just 2.6g for a 611g batch of soap). Did three portions, one with more of the extract, one with less, and a smaller one left without vanilla. I mixed in the vanilla just before molding while waiting for any potential seizing... Nope. All there was was a slight acceleration from the FO (nothing unmanageable).And currently all the soap layers look the same color, so it'll be interesting to see what happens!

This is the last time I'm doing a full water replacement with any milk-type liquid though. I had some frozen buttermilk in the fridge (that I had bought for cooking purposes and froze because I wasn't using it quick enough). I figured I might as well do a full replacement since it was already frozen. Nopenopenope. Turned bright lemony yellow (though it could have been from the annatto in the buttermilk), and the little big of fat in it saponified into tiny granules that didn't want to mix in to the rest of the soap batter. It might work out for this soap, but definitely not doing it again. 50/50 is the best method.

That looks great, SweetBubbleTreat!

And my vanilla-colored soap was heating up gelling... And I could see the gel come right up underneath the top and it was measuring 98-99F on the IR gun... And then it started cooling back down! "Nuh uh! I am not stopping with a partial gel when it's that close!" I said to myself, so I have my heating pad under it on its lowest setting, trying to coax it into a full gel.

Argh... my order of NGC FOs was delivered to the wrong house. There's a house down the street with a very similar number (say, 132 instead of 123), with the same street name but different street type (st, ct, ave, etc). I checked at their house and I couldn't see the package, and there was a note from UPS saying that it was left at their "side door". They don't have a side door, only gates into their back yard! And even though their main door was open with the screen door closed, no one answered. :( I left a note (even the USPS misdelivers mail between us, so it's not without precedent), but no guarantee that I'll get it.

And the worst part is that the initial transposition may have even been my fault. :( I'm still not used to writing this address, even though this house has been in my family for generations. I just never really needed to memorize the street number before.

Todays organizing

Unpacked my 8 Aztec FO's,, and did another re-organization of some of my raw materials and old and new molds. I keep moving more kitchen items into the dining room to make more rooms for soaping stuff!

Lately all I'm doing is watching soaping videos, and ordering soap supplies in the hope that one of these days before summer I'll be able to make soap. Family health challenges and spring gardening chores are taking up all my active time. Rest time is for watching videos and only dreaming of more creative pursuits.

Tonight I plan on masterbatching some oils for soaping tomorrow. I want to make 6 batches tomorrow as well as a large batch of sugar scrub. I also need to re-organize my soaping room. Still working on getting stock built up for the upcoming market/show season.

I want to make soap! But what am I doing, inventory. Stinking inventory! Okay I knew I would have to do it after the move, but it doesn't make it any easier.

That is what sucks about working for yourself, when the boss is being an @ss about getting things done, you have no one to blame but yourself!

I've been on such a product making marathon that I have actually run out of most of my ingredients! I remember thinking when I got all my supplies that it will take forever to use them all up. Ha! Joke was on me......:???:

So I guess today will be spent getting my supply orders in order.

Wow everyone has been busy. Great talent out there -just love seeing what everyone is doing -such lovely soaps.
I have been trying out some new moulds as I feel a break from loaves. Hope you like these.

Doggy bones 1.jpg

Dreamcatcher soaps.jpg

wahine group#.jpg

swirling ovals.jpg

Shaving Soap

Apart from trying out some of my newly bought moulds I have been playing around with homemade shaving soaps. I have narrowed it down to a particular recipe with white clay to give added slip. I found some lovely cheap mugs to put the soap into and added a shaving brush to make it a complete set.
Cheers Helenz

shaving mugs in group.jpg

shaving soap#2.jpg

shaving soap#3.jpg

Latest posts

Back