What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not today, but this week:

1. Tested six previously-untested soaps. I made them 4-8 months ago and had only tested them when fresh. Found them all to be more squeaky than I like. :( Face-palming ... can't believe my base recipe has been deficient this whole time. I've been making soap for a year and I still feel like a total rookie.

2. Made a beer soap using the beer-syrup method. Reduced 24 ounces of beer down to just 4 oz! I shouldn't have reduced it that far, since I then had to reconstitute with distilled water anyway. I put it in a high-lard recipe and was surprised but not unhappy that my dark batter cured into a light khaki-colored soap. Scented with a combo of orange EO and SOS "Guy Vanilla Tobacco." Smells amazing right now, even with that new beer-funk smell.

3. Made a quickie batch of whipped body lotion with shea, almond, apricot, and lavender EO for Christmas gifts. I'm not a lotion maker at all but I love whipping up cold oil into big fluffy peaks.

I think this is the closest I have come to a dupe of Karma from Lush. Its not IT, but similar. I mixed fresh mango, orange peel and mandarin myrrh with patchouli. All from Brambleberry. I really like it!

Just a hint: Lemongrass, Pine, Lavender, Orange & Patchouli - those are listed in different descriptions of their different Karma products ;)

I don't know the correct proportions but you could experiment with those to get the correct scent you want ...

ETA: I should add that they don't list ALL of those in ALL of the Karma products....but after having read all the descriptions for the products, those are the scents I've pieced together :) They use wording like "And we use Pine & Patchouli" then in another "Lemongrass Lavender & Pine" etc.... SO...based on ALL the karma products - those are the oils I've deduced that they use.

Last edited:
This week, I did 2 rebatch loaves with some old soap. I actually like rebatching, gives me a chance to be creative with something that isn't being used much or is perhaps visually plain/ugly.

Two days ago I made my first loaf of CP yogurt soap which thanks to the cold weather did this partial gel thing and gave me a crazy-cool gel ring pattern. Planning to reattempt this in an HP version.

Today I did a coconut milk gingerbread HP loaf, used 1/2 coconut milk for water, added molasses, ginger, cinnamon, cloves in both powder and essential oil form. It came out amazing, quite proud at how my HP journey is going.

I woke up early to find a text asking for 25 more bars to be delivered to my friend's coffee shop. I just took her 57 bars on Tuesday! She has about cleaned me out- and that is a good thing! Waking up early is a good thing, too, as I have to wrap and label one batch (OMH) and I'll still be able to deliver it this morning. I have a special order to deliver to another commercial account, too. It also needs to be wrapped.

Hopefully the business will then settle down. I haven't kept up, so I need to inventory everything. Then I need to make LOTS of soap! (And that is the BEST thing of all!)

Yesterday I delivered my biggest yet wholesale order: $171! I have one more to wrap and label and deliver this weekend. Then I can get back to the fun part: MAKING soap!

But I have a task ahead of me, too. BB discontinued their Hollyberry scent. Can't understand that, as everyone loves it! So I'll be off looking for something similar. I could have sold double that one if I'd had the f.o. What is that helpful site? fragrance finder or something like that?

Congrats on the order!

That is an awesome order! I am changing up my photography on Etsy for my tinctures. Then I am packing up some stuff to take to a store I have product at, changing it all out, then doing an art show at that store, then going to a friends house that she is hosting a white elephant (I don't know why she called it that, she doesn't seem to know what that means.) Hopefully selling bunches of soap and then going home. The store work goes from 5-8 and the friends party (for me) from 8:30 til 11 pm. so well see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Cut some soaps! (I usually do the first cut, then give the soap a few days and clean them up. So don't mind some of the cheesecake-like-knife-bits)

So I did a Spearmint & Eucalyptus (request of the hubby) - this is the swirly one.
Oak Barrel Cider (from NDA) which I might call something else... - It's the red one with the white top
Lemon Sandalwood (another request of the hubby) - with some poppyseed-age going on.

IMG_0962 (2).jpg

IMG_0965 (2).jpg

IMG_0964 (2).jpg

, then going to a friends house that she is hosting a white elephant (I don't know why she called it that, she doesn't seem to know what that means.)

Is it possible you're misunderstanding her? Cause if she hosting an actual elephant that is white it would be flippin AWESOME!

I have been going a little nuts with the soapmaking (for me) the last few days. I did a big batch of my favorite base with a new (to me) technique and flubbed it, frustrated with that I entertained my cola obsession and made a smaller batch with a cola water replacement and went further entertaining silly ideas and made a couple test soaps to test the idea that castor as supper fat has an effect on lather. Then I moved onto shaving stuff made a 4th generation of my shave soap, did a bunch of research on aftershaves and balms, tested one simple aftershave with the ingredients I had and spent a lot of time looking at various shaving accessories.
Also spent a bunch of time looking for a good EO website with information on sensitizing EOs to help me with my stuff. Then after trolling the forum archives forever I finally boned up and bought the supporting membership.
Today I am going to see if the outside is still there buy some gift certs and come home to give that failed effect another go.

Last edited:
Today I did a cp soap with a eucalyptus/spearmint EO blend. White base with green and blue swirls. I tried to do a spoon swirl in the mold, but I am not sure how it will turn out. I think I should've stuck with a hanger swirl. LOL! It's gelling right now, and I"m hoping I can cut it before I leave for work in the morning. :)

Really wanted to make some soap this weekend but the reality of the season has kicked my butt. Only thing I have accomplished is labeling, wrapping, and shipping. I guess I will just wait till I get all my sample colors Christmas eve.

I just made a batch of shave soap that included kokum butter, only to find out halfway through that the kokum butter I thought I ordered didn't exist.

After I freaked out, found a good sub that I HAD (went with mango butter), and finished the batch, I found my kokum butter... It had rolled under my rack, dang it.

At least I know I'm not crazy....

Today I got a text from my sister that the local brewery that sells soaps made from their beers will be reordering soon. I have none in stock because I wasn't sure how they would sell. Tonight I made 48 bars of brown ale soap.

I am a newbie and experimented with different EO. Yesterday took my dog to parlour for bath and shave and handed groomer my homemade soap and requested that they use it. We have big flee and tick problem as Im staying on farm. Got a big eye brow from groomer. Fetched my dog few hours later and groomer threw me with so many questions about what poison does it contain, because she was clearly surprised with results killing every single flee and tick without them even have to remove them and how soft his hair was afterwards. She was so surprised to hear all natural with EOs only. Long story short - order for bars in new year, and I gifted her with bar I gave her to use on my dog. Now I need to remake it asap!

I am a newbie and experimented with different EO. Yesterday took my dog to parlour for bath and shave and handed groomer my homemade soap and requested that they use it. We have big flee and tick problem as Im staying on farm. Got a big eye brow from groomer. Fetched my dog few hours later and groomer threw me with so many questions about what poison does it contain, because she was clearly surprised with results killing every single flee and tick without them even have to remove them and how soft his hair was afterwards. She was so surprised to hear all natural with EOs only. Long story short - order for bars in new year, and I gifted her with bar I gave her to use on my dog. Now I need to remake it asap!

Great! And great for your puppy, too!

And I HAVE to ask: Is the SA for San Antonio? I lived in that area for 20 years.

Back