What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished my lucky #13 batch of soap! Tallow based...same recipe as the lard one I made a couple of weeks ago, except I swapped out the lard with the tallow. I also made the same recipe, splitting the difference between the two. My little experiments to see what I like best and what those fats bring to the table.

Also, used WSP Neopolitan Ice Cream FO. Smells yummy. I think this one is going to turn a very dark brown though. I took some of the batter and added TD for a swirl...lets see what happens!

I packed up a ton of soaps to donate to a local woman's group. Still out of tons of stuff so I am getting restless. Maybe I will go get some lard and lye this weekend, having withdrawals.

Been labeling soap. Not my fav. part of the hobby, but not that bad either. I've sold $90 wholesale this week so I'm happy about that.

mentally debating with myself as to how to rebatch/reuse an overly cocoa-powdered batch I made a while ago and don't like to use because it makes a mess everywhere. It's either shred as a confetti (which won't be much fun, as it's pretty cured) or rebatch into a larger batch, I think.

Katie! Bb does take forever to get their shipment out! When I ordered from NG, they shipped almost immediately and didn't take 5 business days to make it here.
Your leaving me behind. I'm doing batch 9&10 today, which leads me to my soapy thing.
Trying out moonlight pomegranate from bb and a small 20 oz loaf mold of craklin birch. Moonlight pom, I read, can A and S, so I'm doing a simple plain base soap in slab mold with unscented swirl decorative thin tops. Attempt #2 at a butterfly swirl with the craklin birch. First attempt was less than impressive.
Edit to add, craklin birch is an experiment too....with over 50% tallow!

Tie Dye Slab Pour

Poured a slab mold using my new silicone liner...thanks to the video posted in the "lining wooden molds" thread. (See photo section.) Cleaned up my mess then pre-measured a batch of oil for next time. If you don't routinely pre-measure I highly recommend it. It makes the process so much more enjoyable on soaping day. Shopping now online for replacement oils. I find myself using bulkapothecary.com for bulk oils and wholesalesuppliesplus.com for color and fragrace.... anyone have better sources?

I placed my first order for colorants today...so excited! Currently, I only have two sample colors from previous orders...but I ordered a bunch today. Decided to go with TKB...we'll see how I like their stuff. Hopefully they will ship sooner than my Brambleberry order...that took almost two weeks!

Ordering soap supplies counts as a "soapy thing", right? Yes, I think so ;)

Katie, What did you order and from where?

Katie, What did you order and from where?

I ordered colorants from TKB...
Jewel collection liquid colorants
Neon collection liquid colorants
Ultramarine pink
Ultramarine psi blue matte
Florescent yellow
ye old neon green
d&c red 33 alum lake
pigment blue 15

total cost (w/shipping) was $34

I wanted to get a little of everything...since I'm just starting out and don't know what I'll like yet. TKB seemed to have good prices. I ordered scents from Nature's Garden, and almost ordered colors from them, but didn't want to spend that much just yet. btw...got a sample scent of Elf Sweat...smells like bubblegum :) the kids love it!

Got lye, lard, and canola yesterday so I can finally make more soap! Been a couple weeks (rebatching doesn't count) so I am super stoked! Now I just have to decide what to make.

Also started saving my basic recipes in my new tablet to make it easier than shifting through 100 pages of recipe.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1413739902.070557.jpg

Just cut these bars this morning. The scent is Chamomile FO and so far smell wonderful.

I was about to go back to my basics with a soap I planned to make when I realized I did not have enough of either oil to make my desired amount. I didn't want to open the other bottles since I wanted to calculate the price of future soaps. so I'm debating on making a confetti soap.

Made PT soap last night. Removed it from the PVC pipe today.

Making facial soap using HP right now.

Huzzah!

-Dave

I am making a HP olive soap still. I started around 4pm or 5pm and it's about to go into the final stages now. I wish it didn't take so long to make, but the benefits for me outshine the wait.

Update: I finished the soap, but I failed to add the oils before it went into full vaseline mode. It feels pretty nice, though.

Last edited:
Made a test batch of Coconut Milk Facial Lotion...

Formulating a belly butter for my ever-growing tummy. So far no stretch marks, and when one jar runs out - I make a new one.

And after 4 weeks of not making any soap - hey, a move is hard on a pregnant lady! - I made some soap - well ventilated and covered up of course. New room, new places for things, new system of doing things; there's a learning curve, but it was great to make things again.

A peppermint soap (EO), Candy Apple(FO), and Chocolate Macaroon (FO).

Tried a funnel swirl thingy - and I've deduced that one must have some sort of stabilizer for the funnel, otherwise after about the 5th alternating pour, my funnel (which was too small) I ended up swapping for another, and holding it (not so accurate - where was hubby when I needed him to be a designated holder!).... plus a thinner batter next time might help. Well, it smells fantastic so we'll see...

(I'm also new to fragrance oils so I was a little caught off guard when my Chocolate Macaroon soap started to seize though I should have known because the Coconut FO I used with the chocolate, the reviews warned that it would)...

That might be a contendor for the "ugly soap thread". It does look rather horrendous.... (but sometimes bad pours come out looking good - so we'll see when I cut it). The first pour was good - and then any thoughts I had of swirling went out the window when I realized that my coloured portions were seizing... Sometimes you just can't move fast enough! So some things just sort of got glopped into the mold and banged down to level out the top. I am absolutely second guessing my grated white soap on top....Oh Lord.

At least the Candy Apple worked out. I've used that fragrance oil before and always seem to have enough time to swirl.

So...now for the sleep time.. And tomorrow I cut.

I always love the cut, no matter how the soaping actually went.

Last edited:
I've been trying to make soap since Sunday! Life keeps getting in the way. Last night I had it all set up, oils measured, GM ice cubes weighed and back in the freezer, colors measured, etc. Then the guy called to come mow the lawn, and I had to go out and get the yard ready for him. So- no cooking allowed in the kitchen until I finish my soap tonight! When I get home from work, all I have to do is weigh my f.o. and lye, then I'm ready to start mixing.

Hmmmm.......I showered....

:D

And used my "corn meal in the soap" soap. I always liked to get the soap bubbly and then put some corn meal on my hands to exfoliate. I tried putting the corn meal into some hot processed batter and it turned out pretty well. The bar itself is just the right amount of scritchy for exfoliating without tearing up my skin and the bar is bubbly as well. Win, win.

Latest posts

Back