What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just signed up for my fourth holiday craft show today. This is the first holiday season that I've actually made a holiday schedule and did some research, as opposed to just winging it (I did one art walk last December). I'm excited! Now I just have to keep making that soap! :)

I have been sitting and watching for my newest soaps to turn brown LOL I can not stop smelling them though

I just finished a batch of Oatmeal milk and honey soap. Smells sooo good. Replaced the water with goats milk, honey and aloe vera. FO oatmeal milk and honey. By the time it was done with trace the color had turned an orangeish because of adding in the honey. I fully expected it and it actually was the color I wanted. I did not add any colorants. Also had Oatmeal in it. Have it in the loaf pan as I type and already can not wait to cut it :p. On top I sprinkled more oatmeal and drizzled some honey. After reading on here I changed up my base soap recipe a little and will see how I like it. I should know in a short 4-6 weeks LOL

Last edited:
Just got done planning my next soap, writing it down on paper and drawing a sketch to ensure I am comfortable with the design (does anyone else do this?!).
It's a squash goat's milk soap with some sea clay, activated charcoal, some more colorants and trying a holly swirl, or a take on it at least. A little nervous...I hate planning and having it totally mess up!! Off to go grocery shopping, hopefully can do this today...if not probably Sunday.

I just cut my Oatmeal milk and honey soap. It was my first one to partially jell. Weird since it had so much sugar in the honey and goats milk, I expected a full jell. I did not insulate but the side of the mold when I checked it was very very warm. Oh well I will tell my Christmas Victims that it is a design feature and I meant to do that. Look how cool it is LOL. :wink:

I am formulating a soap with avocado puree, avocado oil and argon oil! Hopefully I can make it tonight after kiddo is in bed. I don't do anything with lye unless he is gone or in bed.

Measuring Oils and Contemplating

Long week! Wife is out of town for the night and boomerang college kids out too. Blissful silencio! I'm spending the evening reading over the soap making website, tweaking my recipe to incorporate some sunflower oil, pre-measuring oils for tomorrow and mostly contemplating whether to use my trusty loaf mold or break in the new 8x12 slab I picked up this week. Hmmmm... What's that bottle on the counter you ask? Let's just call it "inspiration about to be uncorked." :shh:

photo.jpg

I got some Castile soap paste out of my fridge today, diluted it and made baby bath soap by adding coconut milk, honey, colloidal oatmeal and goat's milk. Smells like goat's milk a wee bit but baby's skin feels great after the bath.
Still trying to decide which recipes to try during my soaping session this Sunday... so many choices so little time but Sunday can't come soon enough!

Long week! Wife is out of town for the night and boomerang college kids out too. Blissful silencio! I'm spending the evening reading over the soap making website, tweaking my recipe to incorporate some sunflower oil, pre-measuring oils for tomorrow and mostly contemplating whether to use my trusty loaf mold or break in the new 8x12 slab I picked up this week. Hmmmm... What's that bottle on the counter you ask? Let's just call it "inspiration about to be uncorked." :shh:

Oh man... Wish I lived near you. That sounds like the perfect evening!

Ordered lye, palm, castor, and coconut oils, some peppermint supreme (the better half says the Japanese is too 'candy cane' sweet) and Litsea EOs from BA, and then I went to Walmart for lard and olive oil. Just came in under my two week soap budget, and it will set me up for a whole slew of test batches. I've got to make some winter lip balms and lotion bars on Saturday, so planning later today is on the agenda.

Christmas gifts for the "other women" in my life

So my wife and I have 5 other couples with whom we are great friends. We worship together, travel together, enjoy great wine and food, laugh in the joyous times of life and cry together in the bad. In short, we are much blessed! A few weeks ago, one of the wives made a comment about liking goats milk soap but having to special order it, so obviously I used by hidden talent (let's face it... not exactly the most "butch" thing for a guy to bring up in coversation) and whipped her up a batch. I made a custom cigar band (see photo) and surprised her with it as a gift from my wife and me. She was so surprised and happy that an idea hatched.

I'm thinking of asking each of these incredible women to describe their ideal day for me and trying to create a custom soap based on the answer. (Insert collective "awww" here) One is a new grandma, so that's easy. Another is an artsy bohemian, so I'm thinking tie-die column pour and patchouli/clary sage/orange. Not sure about the others yet, but no doubt I'll be the hero of our next little get together. :angel:

So here's my challenge to each you. Find a way to use your soaping talents to bless someone today...or at least in about 4 weeks when your CP soap cures.

Marys Soap.jpg

I have actually been doing a lot of my soap planning around the people I love. I like making a soap for someone specific. My latest was for a friend who gave me an aloe plant, she has a hard time finding soaps that doesn't dry her out. She had tried one of my salt bars and loved how her skin felt so I made her a 100% coconut oil soap with 20% superfat and added aloe from her plant. Its special on several levels and can't wait to give it to her after it cures.

just planning and prepping today. Masterbatched lye with aloe, check. 5 wood molds lined, check. Silicone liners washed and ready, check. Recipes printed, check. Beer boiled and frozen, check. Studio cleaned, checked. Oils measured, ... almost.

just planning and prepping today. Masterbatched lye with aloe, check. 5 wood molds lined, check. Silicone liners washed and ready, check. Recipes printed, check. Beer boiled and frozen, check. Studio cleaned, checked. Oils measured, ... almost.

5 molds lined! You savor the agony do you?

Back