What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1407428951.933032.jpgI made a soap named after my Grandson Tyler. He love the colors green & white as they are Michigan States school colors and he loves anything sour. I made it with some neat swirls and Green Apple fragrance oils.

I labelled 144 bars of soap for a custom order. And put together a gift bag for friends who are leaving the country to return home after a couple of years here to get a degree. Sigh. I'll miss them.

Experienced my first lye volcano yesterday!

Having made 25-30 batches in a few months I thought I was getting beyond the beginner stage but maybe I was over confident. It was a coffee soap with hazelnut FO, and I forgot that the coffee was still warm... woosh!

Luckily no harm or damage done.

Guessing everyone does this once.

Or twice, like me :( Once in my beginnings of CP I added warm sugar water to my lye and there she blew! That was a little over a year ago. Then, I just did it last week making a beer soap. I was adding the lye slowly and got to a little left so I poured it on in and it was enough to get it rummblin'! Glad I now use a tall pitcher to mix in!

Today I made some 'bambu & basil'-soap. Maybe I should call it B&B :D For some reason I still use quite a lot of coconut, even if I try to make it less drying. I just like the hardness and cleansing characteristics. I had about 40% coconut, 33% olive, 20% rapeseed and 7 % castor. Again I added some seaweed, just for the looks. Well see how this goes. I will post pics when cut.

Hilge, if you want hardness without the cleansing, you may want to look to other oils. Lard, butters and palm are good ones to add hardness without the high cleansing CO has

Neeners, thank's! I've been thinking about palm but some of that is hard to get around here if you want to use the environmentally friendly quality. Coconut is so hard to get from the corner shop and it's cheap :D Also, I was thinking of adding some shea butter so maybe that would compensate a little?

i couldn't get lard or palm (and, I'm a no-palm kind of mentality...), but I was able to get my hands on cocoa butter. that really helped the hardness even at 10%. for your recipe, I'd up the OO, get that CO down to below 25%, and keep the rest what you have. play around on soapcalc until you're happy with the hardness and cleansing numbers.

My Soapy Thing of the Day was to receive three lovely new soap dishes in the mail, tear open the boxes, and take a billion pictures posing my autumn and holiday soaps in the fancy new dishes. I also petted, turned and smelled everyone, talked to them encouragingly -- soap is like houseplants; they like it. Trust me :) -- and rinsed out a soaping bucket. But I got bored with the last part and just kicked it over to drain under the house because I'm lazy.
All this seemed normal when I did it ...

started my day with a batch of dishwasher tablets(turned out awesome, now if I had a full load to actually try them out), made a batch of bath fizzies, (rained right after so the house had a lot of moisture in the air) turned out ugly but usable, tried a new to me way of making cp where you dont premelt the oils.. it in the mold doing it's thing..I think I got a full gel this time..

Oh and by the way I'm Casie and I just joined this forum.. hoping to learn a lot here

Just heated my whiskey for 2 hours or longer to get rid of all the alcohol. Going to make a whiskey soap later on after the morning walk with my mum and see if I can squeeze in some time for a whiskey soap making session today

I made some soap for a friend who loves the awful smelling "Angel" perfume by Thierry Mugler in that scent. I will post pics of cut bars tomorrow. This is a new mold and never have used a silicone loaf mold, so hopefully it will come out ok. I also made some salt bars.

IMG_5534.jpg

IMG_3278.jpg

Last edited:
Jaccart789, please let us know how it turns out. My mother loves Angel and uses only it, but luckily she also loves my soap. With her skin chemistry, Angel smells exactly like a fresh-cut grapefruit drenched in honey--very nice. I'd like to make her some soap with that scent. Thank you!

Jaccart789, please let us know how it turns out. My mother loves Angel and uses only it, but luckily she also loves my soap. With her skin chemistry, Angel smells exactly like a fresh-cut grapefruit drenched in honey--very nice. I'd like to make her some soap with that scent. Thank you!

Grumpy...

WSP is an exact DUPE! My friend wears this and its not for me, but I know so many people who LOVE it. It soaps nicely but it traces fast, so if prepared you can manage it easily. I couldn't do my intended funnel pour, so I had to plop it in. I am curious to what it will end up looking like.
Your mom will definitely like this. Its strong stuff! I have a headache from it. LOL GO on WSP and read the reviews, everyone who likes this perfume likes the FO. :)

Shopped, shopped and shopped some more. Placed orders with Nature's Garden, Brambleberry and finally broke down and ordered a "Bud Cutter". I really enjoy cutting each bar individually, but with more soap and less time, I felt it was time. Can't wait to get it! Oh.. and I'm still working on the soap challenge design. Did a lil test but, not what I'm looking for YET! grrr

Made a batch of Tassie Lavender using my 50% OO formula, and also made a slew of embeds (sea shells, roses and raspberries).

IrishLass :)

Made some salt bars with my grapefruit, peppermint, litsea, and lavender eo blend. Oh I am in love with this blend.

Also wrapped some soaps to send to my sister.

I cut some soap from yesterday. I used a new loaf mold that I do not like. It is too square, so I figured out that I want more rectangular soaps that are flush and not so square like I thought. I have so many molds trying to find the perfect one. However, in my pursuit, I bought another soap mold, made some soap with Honey Dew Melon (2nd pic) that will be ready to cut tomorrow and in a few minutes going to make a batch of beer soap with a new fragrance, and then watch a scary movie. I love Saturdays! :)

IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg

This is what came out of my bambu & basil. I love the greenish colour and it has a very nice hardness, foams well. BUT! It smells awful :D I think the basil EO was a bad choice. I wanted a scent with nature and herbs, but it's a weird combination of absinthe, liquorice and wood :D I'm glad it was just a small batch, I was testing new recipe. Seaweed pimples I still like. With another fragrance, this will be nice. I'm thinking of cucumber-seaweed.

WP_20140810_01220140810180006.jpg

Back