What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ocean Rain is that the one that smells like Lever 2000? If that's the one, I had a slight bit of acceleration but not too bad. I love that smell.

I'm getting ready to make my first ever beer soap. Squeeeeee! SO. EXCITED.

doing my first ls as we speak. doing half water half glycerin. took a while to trace. having a ciggie break while waiting for my sb to cool down..

It is supposed to rain today, so I am going to do a lemongrass EO CP soap to mix the ugly confetti soap into. Lemongrass/mint should not be too bad. Trying hard to wait to take yesterday's batch out of the mold to let it finish setting up. I did my first attempt at room temp non-gelled, so no idea how long it should take. Any ideas? There is no room in the freezer, so I can only hasten it by putting it in the fridge, would that work?

Sounds like it would smell
Delicious. U could add ginger or coconut milk and make a Thai soup inspired soap. Im a chef professionally so always think with my stomach. Haha

Just bought 2.5 lbs of pink Himalayan salt from the supermarket ( sprouts) in the bulk section for $2/lb!! Almost screamed in joy when I saw the price . Hahha this ties back to the grocery store post - my shopping was slowed down by my soaping dreams

Went shopping today! Got gloves and oils for soaping. (Sadly, I couldn't even find the non-certified kirkland organic OO. Had to go with their normal OO.)

Also, my shipment of colorants and FOs from WSP arrived today! I just opened it. I think there was a bit of an accident while filling one of the bottles of FO, because there's a bit of it on the outside of the bottle (just a touch, and I couldn't find any crack for a leak), but it was enough to make everything smell like it even to my plugged-up nose! And I got a little on my hand looking to see if there was a crack for a leak, so next time I need to handle them, I'll be putting on gloves.

Now, if only my kitchen would clean itself, I'd make a batch of soap...

Forgot to add fo to my beautifully swirled soap so rebatching is on tap, UGH!

Rebatch= :p Need I say more

Karen

I've been working on a CP recipe for a mild, luxury soap. For experiments I use a one bar sample recipe. 35% Olive oil, 30% coconut, 15% castor, 15% cocoa butter, 3% jojoba, 2% shea butter. It came to trace within a couple minutes, popped easily from my recycled fancy feast mold but was a bit crumbly on the edges. I tested it after a week of curing and found it to have a stable, silky lather. I'm thinking I need to rework to decrease cocoa butter for a more pliable soap.

I've been working on a CP recipe for a mild, luxury soap. For experiments I use a one bar sample recipe. 35% Olive oil, 30% coconut, 15% castor, 15% cocoa butter, 3% jojoba, 2% shea butter. It came to trace within a couple minutes, popped easily from my recycled fancy feast mold but was a bit crumbly on the edges. I tested it after a week of curing and found it to have a stable, silky lather. I'm thinking I need to rework to decrease cocoa butter for a more pliable soap.

I'd say you need to lower the castor and maybe even the CO, too

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go. hmmm maybe 5% castor and more olive (oil on hand in this novice state) and CO, cocoa or coconut? I figured on taking cocoa down to 7% or so.

I too would takeyour Coconut down. I generally use 15-22%. Your Castor is a bit high as well. I would lower that to 5-7% as it can make your soap sticky. I have used as much as 15% with no problem but used Sodium Lactate which probably helped. I also superfat between 8-10%.

nothing much today, just finishing a couple of orders for mp base. i'm thinking, black raspberry vanilla soap for tonight, but i have no idea how to do it. zero in the creativity and inspiration department at the moment.

I hope this is not a double post. I'm feeling a little off kilter right now. Based on trying to get the best prices on bulk purchases, I ordered
10 lbs of lye. It came today with big warning signs on the box about dangerous goods, and on the outside the box is listed exactly what's
inside :) The mailman is probably wondering what the heck?? I have not opened the box but it's very heavy, based on the company website
I guess a lot of the weight is the bottles themselves. I still think 10 lbs is a lot and that I may have overdone myself...
Is this too much guys? hopefully it has as forever shelf life.eta: $4.40 per lb is what I got.

Last edited:
^^^
So not that much after all? This heavy 'danger' box was just a little daunting to me. Baby soapmaker, baby steps :crazy:

Back