Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Adobehead

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a big break after my soap every day for 30 days back in march and april. now all the soaps are well cured and stacked up in the bath, I use them all and can review the results. Of the 30 experiments i love about 3 but am only really sure of one. So, I made that yesterday. It is an olive 30% coconut 15% tallow 30% lard 20% and castor 5% with 1 t ppo of sugar and 1 t ppo of salt in half the water so it dissolved this time. Color is 1/2 t. blue oxide ppo and 1/8 t. of activated charcoal per pound. I scented it with 1/2 oz. of lavender/rosemary ppo, I think that was 3%. I love this soap! I delivered a few bars to a new point of sale yesterday, I figure it will disappear fast so I optimistically made more!

Compared to my old vegan formula it is relatively slow to trace and I left it in the mold a second day. Then it was kind of soft, so I was careful with it, but it sure slid out of the mold easily. It will get very hard.
fullsizeoutput_3421.jpeg

Last edited:

msunnerstood

Reaction score
Im making a syndet facial bar. just got them in the mold. once they are a bit firm ill remove them carefully and let them dry on paper after that. Had great feedback from my testers on the shampoo bars I made and good results on my hair so im set to make a full batch. Not making any soap this weekend, Im stocked.

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a big break after my soap every day for 30 days back in march and april. now all the soaps are well cured and stacked up in the bath, I use them all and can review the results. Of the 30 experiments i love about 3 but am only really sure of one.
Love the color you acheived!

Computer crashed and burned so spent a few days trying to "fix" it before succumbing to just starting over. ANYWHO - the most soapy thing I've done this week is dreaming of soap. The most recent dream was about @DeeAnna inviting EVERYONE from the SMF to her house for something called a "Home Sweet Home" party (yeah - I got nothing) where we all tried out each other's soaps by washing our hands in this huge granite hand-washing trough. I have no idea what 99% of folks here look like, but in my dream I knew that everyone was there. Oh, and there were soap bubbles floating through the air and everywhere. I think I'd better get to making some soap so I can get some sleep! 🤣🤣

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I planned on making soap tonight, but got on the phone with my friend and we talked for three hours, so soap was never made.

But I do have a little soapy thing...I took a picture of one of my soaps to show him, and we both saw the same face LOL. He says Ghostbusters, I say The Mask with Jim Carey (the dog)

crazy face.jpg

Last edited:

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s been busy at work this month, but I managed to squeeze in this soy wax based confetti soap. The confetti is from a failed attempt at a pull through soap in a small slab mold. I was going for a “Persian carpet” design in the original soap and scented it with frankincense, ylang ylang and patchouli eos. It’s interesting to see the color variation in the base soap. Even though I started with my base at 125F, there is quite a bit of color variation, which I assume is temperature related. The base color is lightest in the confetti layer. In the upper layer, the color is showing exactly how the base was layered into the mold. I warmed the confetti up a bit before adding it to the base, but think a little more warming would have helped.

FD4D1508-E3E3-4E80-BAED-9D7DB725DFEB.jpeg

msunnerstood

Reaction score
I planned on making soap tonight, but got on the phone with my friend and we talked for three hours, so soap was never made.

But I do have a little soapy thing...I took a picture of one of my soaps to show him, and we both saw the same face LOL. He says Ghostbusters, I say The Mask with Jim Carey (the dog)

View attachment 53264
I saw the face right away and I gotta go with you on this one.

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 53264
I see Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Lol

A Vampire

Reaction score
I cleaned my soaping materials lol. I also cut a bit of my latest soap. This might be cheating, but later I plan on making another themed soap :)

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been an adventurous soaping day for me! I'm about ready to say goodbye to cylindar molds. I started out with a pringles can but not enough forsite on my part (I didn't secure the bottom) and it fell out leaving me with quite a mess. So then I got a pvc pipe which is certainly better but it was black and very hard to see what you're doing (if doing the pinwheel, etc) - I don't like lining them and unlined, I don't have room in my freezer and securing the bottom was a pain as well.
So I bit the bullet and got a silicone cylindar - again, no forsight on my part (did I say I'm not very good at looking ahead? Well things were going swimmingly until I was 3/4 full and the seem came apart at the bottom! Uuuggghhhh! I taped the mold, put elastics around it and findally used those big binder clips at the top and bottom.
Maybe I expect too much, but you'd think they'd make these secure enough or at least provide a warning to add further security!
What do you guys do? Did you just automaticallty add more security or do you not have that issue?
Thanks for listening! 🥵😭🤬😨
I have the BrambleBerry cylinder mold - I love it. I just put a thin sheet of plastic wrap on the bottom, then slide on the end cap. It has never come off or given me any trouble.

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
More color testing... hydrated chrome oxide, annatto, ultramarine pigment, and yellow iron oxide. I decided I didn’t need 24 different samples as the higher % ones started to all look the same. I also made the % differences increase with each sample. If anyone would like to see / use my mad scientist spreadsheet for calculating % of colorant to oils I’m happy to share! I said this in an earlier post but I am trying to be more systematic in my soap making, since I usually am haphazard about adding colorants and don’t always get what I expect.

C203B983-E2F3-46C9-8465-680814EE58EB.jpegAFAE68FA-F37E-4AB4-BCBC-104FB33E7C4E.jpeg

Last edited:

Zing

Reaction score
Today I made two planets (that sounds pretty powerful) for my January Challenge entry. I way over estimated how much I'd need for my molds and had to scramble for extra molds. I've got lots of tree soaps now, all ready for Christmas 2021, and plenty for future confetti soaps. I'm driving myself crazy reading the news and it was a welcome break.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I opened my destash order from @cmzaha - Christmas in January! :) The only problem was, I was in a long zoom meeting and forgot to turn off my video. So they all watched me bring the box into the office, cut it open, and ooo and ahhh over the different items. 😆

Sigh. They say real friends will tell you when there is toilet paper on your shoe, or a booger hanging down, but mine prefer to let me finish making a fool of myself so they can rib me about it for years to come. 🤓

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I made two planets (that sounds pretty powerful) for my January Challenge entry. I way over estimated how much I'd need for my molds and had to scramble for extra molds. I've got lots of tree soaps now, all ready for Christmas 2021, and plenty for future confetti soaps. I'm driving myself crazy reading the news and it was a welcome break.
I would love to see the planet soap. Don’t have time this month.

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between clear melt and pour bases for an embed in one of my future CP soaps. One is a very clear base that is rumored to sweat a bit, and one is a low-sweat base. I decided to get both and try them out. This morning, Mom and I each took one of the bases and had fun with colors, fragrance, and pipettes. We each only used 5 ounces, since that's all I need to see how the bases behave over time. It also gave me a chance to brush up on my MP skills. And I didn't have a spritz bottle of alcohol floating around, so there are bubbles, and some of the layers aren't as secure as they could be.

Attachments

The_Emerald_Chicken

Reaction score
Just finished a batch of English Rose. I knew better than to try a drop swirl with squirt bottles with a floral FO, but I did it anyway.

Acceleration!

But I did get it in the mold, and was pretty much able to do what I was going for. I'm eager to cut it.
20210116_193246.jpg
Here's the cut of the accelerant English Rose drop/sideways swirl. The drops didn't go down in as far as I'd envisioned since the soap was so thick. Also, I wish I'd left out the TD in the white since it developed nasty glycerin rivers. But I do like how some of the bars have little hearts in them!

I hope to bevel the edges later.

Latest posts