Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packaged a few soaps and got them posted to my website, washed a mountain of dishes. Hopefully get to do more of the fun stuff tomorrow.

TheGecko

Reaction score
I bought stuff. Put a small order in with BB...thought I’d try some Colloidal Oatmeal and Tussah Silk, 3 FOs...one that accelerates, but I love the smell of and so I will take the chance, and a couple of Rose cavity molds to add to a hands-on demo that I’m doing next month for a crafting weekend.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just cut last nights soap it turned out strange LOL. To recap, my FO started to rice with the bottom layer. It wasn't terrible and was able to pour easily. I let that set up and poured my black layer without FO because I became a sissy and didn't want to fight the rice.

I let it set up on top of the stove...no heat to clarify (cause I poured pretty thin)...so I guess about 20 minutes, before I covered with towels and cpop. My light in my oven blew out, so I didn't even have that to leave on overnight like I normally do.

The middle of the soap "rose up" it seems, to touch the towel covering the mold.

The lighter layer has a little td in it and the fo, the black layer is ac, no fo. I THOUGHT that when I cut it, that it would have been the scented layer that caused the problem, but it's just the top layer (with no scent). I had planned on cutting the tops off, but now that I cut the bars, I think it looks kinda neat.

Barber shop overheat 1.jpgBarber shop overheat.jpg

Last edited:

rdc1978

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a month subscription to soapchallenge club for the tutorials.

It HAS to be cheaper than trying to figure out the soap design secrets on my own. I'm going to try the chevron soap again.

Just cut last nights soap it turned out strange LOL. To recap, my FO started to rice with the bottom layer. It wasn't terrible and was able to pour easily. I let that set up and poured my black layer without FO because I became a sissy and didn't want to fight the rice.

I let it set up on top of the stove...no heat to clarify (cause I poured pretty thin)...so I guess about 20 minutes, before I covered with towels and cpop. My light in my oven blew out, so I didn't even have that to leave on overnight like I normally do.

The middle of the soap "rose up" it seems, to touch the towel covering the mold.

The lighter layer has a little td in it and the fo, the black layer is ac, no fo. I THOUGHT that when I cut it, that it would have been the scented layer that caused the problem, but it's just the top layer (with no scent). I had planned on cutting the tops off, but now that I cut the bars, I think it looks kinda neat.

View attachment 53205View attachment 53207
I LOOOOVE a tidy line.

I really like the soap, its simple but the lines are so straight and I prefer the color to a stark white. Happy accidents eh?

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I LOOOOVE a tidy line.

I really like the soap, its simple but the lines are so straight and I prefer the color to a stark white. Happy accidents eh?
Thank you!! I love a nice straight line as well. I have been making some layered soaps lately, and have gotten the knack for the tidy line. Then I had one that wasn't so tidy, and it's an eyesore for me. "Throw the whole thing away, it's crooked" LOL

I think these would look good in a ts mold, but I don't know why the middle overheated, if that is in-fact what it was, which I believe it probably was. I just never had that happen except for a milk soap that I made once.

I didn't add as much td as I usually do on purpose, was just going for a creamy look. But I think it will get a little whiter as it cures.

rdc1978

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you!! I love a nice straight line as well. I have been making some layered soaps lately, and have gotten the knack for the tidy line. Then I had one that wasn't so tidy, and it's an eyesore for me. "Throw the whole thing away, it's crooked" LOL

I think these would look good in a ts mold, but I don't know why the middle overheated, if that is in-fact what it was, which I believe it probably was. I just never had that happen except for a milk soap that I made once.

I didn't add as much td as I usually do on purpose, was just going for a creamy look. But I think it will get a little whiter as it cures.
I think it would probably look good in a TS mold. But honestly I think this look is so much more unique. And you have more area for the beautiful clean line.

I really think the line and the colors are so intriguing.

Like it's simple but so visually interesting to look at. The texturing at the top after you cut them adds to that.

Well done!

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would probably look good in a TS mold. But honestly I think this look is so much more unique. And you have more area for the beautiful clean line.

I really think the line and the colors are so intriguing.

Like it's simple but so visually interesting to look at. The texturing at the top after you cut them adds to that.

Well done!
Awww....thank you. I actually got the idea from someone who created a soap last week (sorry, I forget who to give credit to). And I copied the design, except they used natural soap color for the bottom and I added TD.

I think it might have been @Ford

rdc1978

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awww....thank you. I actually got the idea from someone who created a soap last week (sorry, I forget who to give credit to). And I copied the design, except they used natural soap color for the bottom and I added TD.

I think it might have been @Ford
Well, I keep looking at this soap so there is a good chance I'll copy both of you at some point!

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The middle of the soap "rose up" it seems in the middle to touch the towel covering the mold LOL.

View attachment 53205View attachment 53207
Cool, I like the shape too. Good soapy adventure tale :)

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just cut my Princess Leia and What’s new Pussycat soap. My cutter screwed up a little, but it’s nothing I can’t fix. Also made pure coconut Dish Soap.
Your soaps are so adorable' love the swirls too.

Today’s cuts...Cracklin Birch and Dragon’s Blood. Had to work fast with both of them as I use a lot of hard oils but I’m really loving the drop swirl lately.
View attachment 53210View attachment 53211
Omg Beautiful Soap ❤🧼💫

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are very pretty. I’m trying to imagine what living coral reef would smell like! 😳
I will send you one when it hardens up a bit, if you don't mind letting it cure lol. It is a bit perfumey, not a guy smell at all. It is hard to describe. Its nice, but I don't know how much I really like it. I keep going back to a batch I made last week to keep smelling it and I just can't figure it out. I expected something more tropical, which everybody in the reviews says it is, I don't get tropical from it.

And it reversed the trace. I had my whole thing to thin trace first, then separated into my containers. Added FO into the colored batters first and it became very liquid, meanwhile the batter with the td was setting up. I fixed that with adding the fo to that batter. Everything was fine. I just never worked with a fragrance that did that, so it was unexpected. Much nicer than all the ricing I have been experiencing lately LOL.

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will send you one when it hardens up a bit, if you don't mind letting it cure lol. It is a bit perfumey, not a guy smell at all. It is hard to describe. Its nice, but I don't know how much I really like it. I keep going back to a batch I made last week to keep smelling it and I just can't figure it out. I expected something more tropical, which everybody in the reviews says it is, I don't get tropical from it.

And it reversed the trace. I had my whole thing to thin trace first, then separated into my containers. Added FO into the colored batters first and it became very liquid, meanwhile the batter with the td was setting up. I fixed that with adding the fo to that batter. Everything was fine. I just never worked with a fragrance that did that, so it was unexpected. Much nicer than all the ricing I have been experiencing lately LOL.
That would be awesome! I’ve had a couple FOs slow trace. Can’t think of which ones off the top of my head but it can be nice! I try and add the TD last if I can because it does set up faster than the others once added.