What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Uncle Harry’s brand EO blend Four Thieves in a balm and hand sanitizer. They’re a great company!
Also:
I hadn't heard of Uncle Harry's! My mom sometimes buys Thieves from Young Living, which is like $20 for less than an ounce. I'm sure the labor of mixing is included, but I think I can mix it for a more reasonable price. Particularly since it is not entirely composed of Cinnamon Bark EO.

My first try @ piping CupCakes' each CC has a different scent' the Chocolate is scented w/ NS Caramel Coffee' I used cocoa powder to color cause scent would turn to tan or brown in color. The pink CC is scented w/ NS Cherry Almond' it may of changed slightly in color too so I hopped it was less noticeable in pink shades' Green Cupcakes Is scented in Lime EO' it behaved the best no color change or acceleration as all scents had none. Base of soap I used TD & added just a slight little scent w/ corresponding color of soap. These will be Daughter & Friend's B-Day Gift Nxt Month.

Attachments

• EE7AA30F-9BDF-458F-AC92-E47D38E333C8.jpeg
    EE7AA30F-9BDF-458F-AC92-E47D38E333C8.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 27
I hadn't heard of Uncle Harry's! My mom sometimes buys Thieves from Young Living, which is like $20 for less than an ounce. I'm sure the labor of mixing is included, but I think I can mix it for a more reasonable price. Particularly since it is not entirely composed of Cinnamon Bark EO.
What I love about all of uncle Harry’s products is that they’re what I’d make myself, for not much more than what it’d cost me to make them! Check em out.

You folks are probably the only people who know how hard it is to walk away from soap that you really want to cut! Sooooooo hard! But I already mooshed it a little unmolding. I want to blame my new tallow because it’s so soft. But my %100 tallow loaf was hard as a rock!!!
walking away....
Fortunately I had another very satisfying craft reveal this morning. Someone bought a crystallized cow skull from me. Will post in “other” when the light is better.

Attachments

• BE07F0C4-B7B9-4BEA-82E2-796DB6990F41.jpeg
    BE07F0C4-B7B9-4BEA-82E2-796DB6990F41.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 20
You folks are probably the only people who know how hard it is to walk away from soap that you really want to cut! Sooooooo hard! But I already mooshed it a little unmolding. I want to blame my new tallow because it’s so soft. But my %100 tallow loaf was hard as a rock!!!
walking away....
Fortunately I had another very satisfying craft reveal this morning. Someone bought a crystallized cow skull from me. Will post in “other” when the light is better.
Looking forward to seeing your Chrystal Cow Head.

Merry Christmas to me' Just Ordered Dr. Keven Dunn book' Scientific Soap Making: The Chemistry of the Cold Process.

Aack! Couldn’t wait. I thought the loaf was hardened, but it was still too soft. But by the time I realized it was too soft it was already on the cutter, so 🤷🏻‍♀️. They’re not quite what I wanted, but I love them!
I’ll wait to cut the other two.

Attachments

• 44C241CE-768B-402F-837A-AAB9DB3A2351.jpeg
    44C241CE-768B-402F-837A-AAB9DB3A2351.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 5AFB13B2-6E19-4D17-A6D5-01A94B59CB4B.jpeg
    5AFB13B2-6E19-4D17-A6D5-01A94B59CB4B.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 21
I managed to sell five single mold bars today and feel very successful. In fact I offered my soap to a dairy lady from whose relative I've been buying walnuts of excellent quality and who has been buying my soaps and creams. She surprised me by ordering as many soap bars as the entire worth of my two kilograms of walnuts.

I just watched a few videos on Cupcakes & piping' in two of the videos they both mentioned to not " OP" piped CC heat is not our friend' fridge is best!. Id just pipped and had my CC sitting on a heating pad' lol. I removed it & luckily it didn't effect my CupCakes Pipping.
I don't know if it depends on the recipe or what, but I have oven processed my soaps for just about two years now, and even the high topped ones. I haven't had an issue with my piped portions "melting" or anything....and they have gone through visible gel. So YMMV.

I don't know if it depends on the recipe or what, but I have oven processed my soaps for just about two years now, and even the high topped ones. I haven't had an issue with my piped portions "melting" or anything....and they have gone through visible gel. So YMMV.
This OP worked out fine. And, now I know I can wait. And, I’d have to OP to make sure they’re hard enough. I am trying to decide if I can use an electric roaster oven I have. Then I wouldn’t have to carry loaves up the stairs to the kitchen oven.

I managed to sell five single mold bars today and feel very successful. In fact I offered my soap to a dairy lady from whose relative I've been buying walnuts of excellent quality and who has been buying my soaps and creams. She surprised me by ordering as many soap bars as the entire worth of my two kilograms of walnuts.
Trading is so great!

Today I actually made Juniper hydrasol and spruce hydrasol. The juniper is much stronger than the spruce but I plan on using them both in a soap with the goat milk. I’m pretty happy that it worked well. Thanks to @DeeAnna for the suggestion. I can get hooked on this . I have to wait to make the soap as I’m making masks now, but when I do I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Attachments

• 9681F622-A221-445A-9CDB-3E8506DC22EE.jpeg
    9681F622-A221-445A-9CDB-3E8506DC22EE.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 15
Today I actually made Juniper hydrasol and spruce hydrasol. The juniper is much stronger than the spruce but I plan on using them both in a soap with the goat milk. I’m pretty happy that it worked well. Thanks to @DeeAnna for the suggestion. I can get hooked on this . I have to wait to make the soap as I’m making masks now, but when I do I’ll let you know how it turns out.
Oooh nice! Do you have a still for making your own essential oils? Hydrasol is the water left after distilling essential oils, right?

Oooh nice! Do you have a still for making your own essential oils? Hydrasol is the water left after distilling essential oils, right?
I don’t have a still. I actually watched some videos and read up on it and used the stove top method. It really works rather well if you take your time. It was very noticeable with the juniper using the needles and berries.

My first try @ piping CupCakes' each CC has a different scent' the Chocolate is scented w/ NS Caramel Coffee' I used cocoa powder to color cause scent would turn to tan or brown in color. The pink CC is scented w/ NS Cherry Almond' it may of changed slightly in color too so I hopped it was less noticeable in pink shades' Green Cupcakes Is scented in Lime EO' it behaved the best no color change or acceleration as all scents had none. Base of soap I used TD & added just a slight little scent w/ corresponding color of soap. These will be Daughter & Friend's B-Day Gift Nxt Month.
Super cute! Nice Job.

My lotion bar molds FINALLY came yesterday! Yay! I have to make sure I under fill them a bit to fit my tins.
And, I keep checking my NS tracking for my Black Friday order. I don’t usually Black Friday, but when I do it’s for 95 sample sizes!!! SO exciting!!! AND I’ve got a couple new pull through plates!

So, I ordered from NS recently and it has been an unmitigated disaster.

The shipment was supposed to arrive last Friday, not just the Friday that passed, but before that, it was supposed to arrive like November 27th. Nothing.

After not arriving on the 27th, I kept checking the UPS site which said it was "In Transit" and to check back later for a delivery date. On December 1st I called to see what was going on, and was told that it had been delivered to the post office and would be here on the 3rd. Nothing.

Called back on the 3rd and was told that actually it is on the back of a truck heading to Illinois. Bear in mind that in what, like a week it had not even made it from Indiana to Illinois. Now actually it'll be here on the 9th. Which sucks because had they just told me that initially I would have been annoyed but gotten over it because weather or whatever.

I sit here, on the 9th, waiting patiently for a package that I am sure will not arrive by 9pm (in the next 40 minutes).

Nurture Soap uses UPS Sure Post, which is the least expensive shipping option they seem to offer. USPS delivers the last mile, but this is not on them because they don't even have the package yet.

I ordered from WSP AFTER I ordered from NS, and I got that shipment on December 4th. WSP ships from about the same area, I believe, BUT they use UPS Ground service, which is more expensive but seems like a more reliable service. Brambleberry also uses UPS Ground and I have never had a problem with the delivery date being off.

anyways, long story short, I hope you have better luck than I do. I have to place another order with NS, but now at least I'll know that there is a good chance it'll be here.....maybe......sometime.

Last edited:
I just ordered some FOs from NG (different company, I know). On UPS ground. Suffice it to say, I was feeling no emotional attachment to seeing them this year. I may come to regret my moment of apathy.

If your shipment is coming UPS Ground, you are good.

UPS SurePost is the less expensive method that can be problematic. On the UPS website they advise that if the receiver has a UPS account they can pay extra and upgrade their delivery from SurePost to UPS Ground, and so I have to assume that it means that even they know the Ground is a more reliable and faster service.

I really like NS, and I wanted to order some of their Trial By Fire red mica, but I'm a little nervous at this point so I may try to find a similar color somewhere else. I can appreciate NS trying to keep their pricing low by offering free shipping over $35 and reasonable pricing and no "handling fee" (I'm looking at you WSP!) but gosh, it really didn't work out this time.

Broken record here but I love making these! I made another batch of lotion bars (scented with orange 10X essential oil and beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, and coconut oil.) Cheesy name but I call it "Cocorange." Get it?!

So I was derping around the interwebs and I think I stumbled upon @TashaBird's Etsy account because it was selling X-rated molded soaps and it was definitely NSFW and definitely rated X! Honestly, I just googled 'Etsy soap' and had no idea that this was even a thing!! LOL Can we just get back to, ahem, pull-throughs? :)

I got my first order for purchase of a dozen bars today. Normally this hobbyist pushes all of his soaps upon innocent bystanders -- but a friend wants to buy them to give as holiday gifts. I feel both affirmed and anxious!

Broken record here but I love making these! I made another batch of lotion bars (scented with orange 10X essential oil and beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, and coconut oil.) Cheesy name but I call it "Cocorange." Get it?!

So I was derping around the interwebs and I think I stumbled upon @TashaBird's Etsy account because it was selling X-rated molded soaps and it was definitely NSFW and definitely rated X! Honestly, I just googled 'Etsy soap' and had no idea that this was even a thing!! LOL Can we just get back to, ahem, pull-throughs? :)

I got my first order for purchase of a dozen bars today. Normally this hobbyist pushes all of his soaps upon innocent bystanders -- but a friend wants to buy them to give as holiday gifts. I feel both affirmed and anxious!

I have seen that mold on Etsy and is it really connected to someone here? That thang is THICK AND VEINY, so I want to know where @TashaBird is hanging out! I had honestly just searched "column mold" and that was on the first page of results. I was like "well thats a column allright!""

Excited for your first order. A dozen seems like a reasonable amount. My mom ordered 40 soaps and 20 lotion bars to give as gifts, which I appreciate, but its been quite a bit of work! I never realized how much extra work it would take to make a soap presentable for gifting!

I have seen that mold on Etsy and is it really connected to someone here? That thang is THICK AND VEINY, so I want to know where @TashaBird is hanging out! I had honestly just searched "column mold" and that was on the first page of results. I was like "well thats a column allright!""
LOL. I'll just put out there as SFW as possible to whom it may concern: You get what you get and be thankful for what you've got.

Latest posts

Back