What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally made some more soap today. I experimented with textured/swirled tops (or rather bottoms for my soap bars). I made some "building block" (aka Lego) soaps with yellow clay, rosemary and lemon EOs.

Then I cut part of a batch of shaving soap I made last weekend. I poured the leftover batter that didn't fit into my Pringles' cans into a paper cup, so it's the rough end of the batch. I really like the texture so far. I'm hoping it will be a great shaving soap.

Then I made a batch of green beer soap with spirulina, and pine, basil, and nutmeg EOs. I know, I know...I'm always one step behind the holidays :) ImageUploadedBySoap Making1394234504.170771.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1394234517.318597.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1394234527.234876.jpg

Decided since I had all my supplies out I might as well do more than one batch. I mixed up a master batch of oils and then poured a loaf of blue and white (probably more like yellow since I didn't have any TD), scented with Leather FO. It's a stripe from just pouring the batter in layers down the middle of the loaf, what's that called again?

I didn't want it to gel so left the lid off and put it outside in the cold but 1/2 hour later it was showing signs in the centre so I threw the lid on and brought it in the house to finish gelling :-( Pftttt ......

Anyway, we'll see what it looks like tomorrow. btw .. I LOVE the Leather FO .. it smells EXACTLY like leather, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I miss my saddles and bridles.

Currently making a hot process soap, and I just got out my WSP "Love Spell" and "Ocean Rain" FOs and measured them out...

Oh man, I hadn't smelled Love Spell before, but that is the scent I've been looking for and never knew! It is DIVINE. I mixed in some beetroot powder to Love Spell, to add in after it cooks and cools a bit. Best case scenario: adding the beet root after the soap cooks will allow the color to stay on the reddish/pinkish side. Worse case scenario: I have an ugly soap that smells good. LOL And since these are tests soaps for personal use, it doesn't matter which! :D

I tried making my first HP soap the day before yesterday because I have some heavy accelerating FO I needed to find a use for. Mixed to a thick trace in the crockpot and then set it to cook and then I just cleaned up the few dishes that gave and then went to check it. Gave it a stir and it was already vaseline!! It took max 5 minutes! (Kitten Love??) It didn't curl in on itself or anything! It just... just was! It went all shiny and vaseliney almost straight away! I reckoned something must be seriously wrong, since nothing soapy ever goes that stress free for me, but there it was. I let it cool some, added the FO, moulded it up, let it set and cut it yesterday and it looks and feels just fine! Lathers up a dream, too. It's too bad I'm not that fond of the HP look, coz that has got to be fastest and easiest soap I ever made! LOL

Nice! That is fast!

The next time I have a tricky FO, I think I'm going to try the trick of adding it to the oils first, and then maybe even mixing by hand. I wasn't that happy with HP, though that's mostly because I'm the type to try to get every little speck out into the mold, and that just don't work well for HP.

not really a fan of the rustic look myself. which makes me remember a while ago, my mom bought a couple of these fine looking soaps (pretty packaging that is) at the mall. they were big and cost 10 bucks. imagine my horror when i went home and open these things.. big, chunky whatever herbs were inside the **** soap. another one had this big piece of coconut inside (the coconut piece was brown in color, i tot the soap had DOS or whatever dirt), like 0.25 x 1.5". Kitten Love? and the bloody soaps were wet coz they were wrapped in double tissue paper among other things, pretty complicated packaging i must say. i open the website and the soapmaker was proudly displaying the rustic look. umm, okay... is there such a thing to limits in rustic? big chunks of coconut and whatever herbs, that will certainly fall to the floor once the soap is used. i can totally understand putting whatever for scrubs, but size is def important. and this one just takes the cake, lol

Nice! That is fast!

The next time I have a tricky FO, I think I'm going to try the trick of adding it to the oils first, and then maybe even mixing by hand. I wasn't that happy with HP, though that's mostly because I'm the type to try to get every little speck out into the mold, and that just don't work well for HP.

This particular FO is made in Hell. I did try adding it to the oils beforehand once, everything at room temp even, and the batter had a grand mal seizure before I had even finished pouring in the lye water. LOL It's the same FO that the first time around gave me the soap from Hell I am trying to get used up. (See some earlier posts on this thread.) I tried adding it at the very last moment, tempered with some oil and the batter riced like crazy and then seized. It truly is an obnoxious FO but it smells really nice and I just can't get myself to throw it away. I have finally found a use for it though. I made the HP and I also added some to some CP no shred laundry soap I have. That went fine! Finally I will be rid of that damned FO! :D

Oh! I just remembered! (I think I am suppressing the thought of it) but I accidentally passed by Bud's on Etsy today and I dunno how it happened, but when I left his store, I was 134 dollars poorer. I don't really know if I should laugh or cry about that. :shifty:

Last edited by a moderator:
This particular FO is made in Hell. I did try adding it to the oils beforehand once, everything at room temp even, and the batter had a grand mal seizure before I had even finished pouring in the lye water. LOL It's the same FO that the first time around gave me the soap from Hell I am trying to get used up. (See some earlier posts on this thread.) I tried adding it at the very last moment, tempered with some oil and the batter riced like crazy and then seized. It truly is an obnoxious FO but it smells really nice and I just can't get myself to throw it away. I have finally found a use for it though. I made the HP and I also added some to some CP no shred laundry soap I have. That went fine! Finally I will be rid of that damned FO! :D

LOLLL!! sounds a lot like my jasmine that i'm working on right now (and a few others of the same brand, all smell delicious but behave badly!). adding it to the oils just made it worse. i got no time to work at all. and this lady customer of mine wanted fancy swirls at first. i thought hell no, and told her that it's gonna look ten times better if done in this victorian style mold (in which i can safely do in a single color. ha!). fortunately, she agreed, otherwise i'm screwed big time :D

I must have at least 7 or 8 FO's that are obnoxious. I bought a bunch of FO's when the Xmas sales were on and I thought, oooh, that sounds like a nice scent and so does that one and that one and they're so cheap and I can work with "moderate accelerators", no problems!... but I have since come to learn that on soap supply sites, "moderate" is just code for ricing and "heavy" is code for ricing AND seizing. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for. :lol:

Finally tried my hand at another milk recipe so I made goats milk with WSP OMH with a bit of baby oatmeal mixed in. Hope I mixed long enough this time to avoid any lye crystals left undissolved.

Will see in the next couple days how it turns out.

I think these milk recipes are beginning to convert me to CP. I learned by HP but I really like the CP bars better so far. They seem so much harder and last longer. All my HP bars seem to stay softer and slime more.

I did the soapiest thing I've ever done today - listed my first items on Etsy. :)

Congrats, songwind :) Isn't that a great feeling?

The soapiest thing I did this week was send my application in for a local farmer's market, then get a phone call the next day to say I was accepted. I gotta get a move on my soap stockpile now! :)

today is wrapping and labeling day! had so much naked soaps to do it ain't funny!

Just made a batch of honey dandelion soap and got to decide upon a second batch. Then got some wrapping and labeling to do

I cut my african black soap. It started off a disaster, but things are looking up.

Made a beer soap with stout and bergamot EO. In the oven now, trying to CPOP.

Sunaelurus, is that the BB sensuous sandalwood you used? How do like it? And how would you describe it - more woody or perfumy? (Still on my quest for the perfect sandalwood that I won't have to take out a second mortgage to afford.)

I'm up way too late, but I got my easter egg molds prepped (used a hot glue gun to seal up holes, cleaned them, rubbed the inside with mineral oil, then taped them closed with painter's tape). I also measured out all of my oils, water, and lye for the whipped soaps for my nieces. Lyewater is chilling in the fridge, oils are staying at room temp. The plan is to also make the soap for my friends' easter party once I have the whipped soap molded. That way they have four weeks to cure before they get given out.

Latest posts

Back