Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

amd

Reaction score
I want to do the breakaways a bit different so I bought a mold instead of the 6 cube clamshells.
I'm going to start with clamshells - if I decide I like working with wax enough to make something to sell. At the very least I would like to have something for personal use, as the local maker I used to buy from went out of business, and far too many of the commercial ones irritate me. I literally get stuffed up as soon as the wax starts melting in the melter - I don't know what it is, their wax blend or the FO's they use? But from soapmaking I know that the FO's I use don't bother my sinuses this way, so I should be ok to use them in my own melts. I have a lot of cute themed single embed molds that would make the right sized wax melt, so if I do this I would eventually incorporate some fun shaped melts. I've also seen some cupcake shaped melts that would be fun... but maybe more work than I care to do lol. So many ideas! But for now... Immajust keep it simple.

Did I mention I have tomorrow off work and I'm going to play in my soapy dungeon and I'm soooo excited! LOL.

Zoeybops

Reaction score
Your tops are stunning! What were your colorants? Have you done this before? I like using activated charcoal but as an accent color because I'm paranoid of bleeding. Let me know how yours turns out. Really beautiful work. And no, you are not the only one who's impatient to unmold! And not just for the soap I made tonight, but now for yours too, so thanks a lot.

Non-soapy but this weekend I planted 125 bulbs and now have to wait until Spring. It's way worse than curing time! Why oh why did this impatient man choose gardening and soaping as hobbies?!

Tonight I made a Christmas tree soap (reverse secret feather). I've been focusing on emulsion -- I mainly use the stick blender to stir, with just a couple of blasts -- but am always paranoid that I stopped stirring too soon. I used fir needle/rosemary/spearmint/cedarwood essential oils at 4% of oil weight but it is still faint. Smells good, but faint.

So I'm on pins and needles about emulsion and if the design works out and the scent. I've been on a kick lately of making 2 loaves at a time. But tonight I only did one loaf because of the complexity. If it doesn't work out, I'll do a re-do. I'm pushing the limit here on holiday gifts and curing time!
Sorry I just got this I used activated charcoal yeh with a small amount of soap batter to get the black then the rest with the other part of soap batter to get the grey colour it has turned out to be one of my best soaps I have made so far and it smells really good too :) I only added a small amount of pumice as I didn’t want too much of it

Suzette

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok...time for some soapy humor. Here’s the video my husband randomly started taking while I was attempting my first Tall Skinny Shimmy for the challenge. I can’t believe I’m posting this as I’m looking pretty rough with my pjs, dollar store readers and hair thrown up last minute, but I thought you would get a kick out of it. Be sure to unmute because the commentary and my uncontrollable cackling is what makes it. 😂
Oh my gosh, that was awesome! 🤣 Thanks for sharing.

I got to unbox a brand new Soap Cutter Pro that my hubby surprised me with. Early Christmas gift! I can’t wait to use it. I actually have the day off tomorrow so I will definitely be making soap. 👩🏻‍🔬

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just did an outdoor market last weekend and it got very windy. We had the canopy and one back wall on the tent with 20lbs of weight around each tent leg (80lbs total) and it didn't budge. We use the kind of weights that have a slot and they can be stacked up around the tent leg. I also found these on amazon.
I like those. I will have to ask if these are acceptable based on her reaction to me telling her my tent size Lol.

Angie Gail

Reaction score
Thank you! I pick up most of my shape molds at TJ maxx, Marshalls etc. Or at thrift stores LOL 🤣 I am cheap hahaha when it comes to molds. My husband makes all of my log molds for me.
I've also found some cool silicone shape molds at supermarkets in the kitchen gadgets section and stores like Joann or Hobby Lobby.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@Angie Gail nice!

I forgot to mention that Facebook soap destash pages often have lots of silicone shape molds for sale, and often pretty cheaply. I bought a big lot of those molds from someone off FB. I ended up sharing about half of them with other soaping friends who would use the mold shapes I didn’t want. And it was still cheaper to buy the whole lot rather than buying brand new versions of the ones I kept.

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the idea here, but I can’t remember where. I wound up not getting any soap on them and didn’t want to take them off. They were kind of comfortable, like arm warmers.
It's funny you say that. I bought a pair of socks at a thrift store for that very purpose. My wrists are always cold and my sock wrist warmers are perfect for keeping them warm.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, as much fun as it has been to say “In the Poop Swirl” I’m not getting the effect I want.
I really want representation of all three colors, even-ish on the visible side of the soap. I even intentionally tried to have my subsequent pours break through the first poured color. Then I swirled at an angle from bottom to top, as well as around. I still mostly got the first poured color.
I have one poop soap left in my:
Mythical Creatures Poop Soap Sampler. 😆
So for my dragon poop, I’ll be returning to the traditional ITPS.

Attachments

Adobehead

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually tried for a specific outcome instead of a happy accident, was very scientific and focused and disciplined (very against my nature) and I got the color I was trying for: pink. It is colored with rhubarb root infused oilve oil and has 9 oils in all, everything but the olive is one of the whiter ones. I reduced the infused oil to 10% of my last try and put it in the fridge to get a lighter color. Such a departure from my throw-it-together approach. Thanks everyone for the inspiration. I used a Tea Tree/Geranium EO blend at 2.5% usage. Oh, and a new mold, took out the silicone and lined with paper. Yay, I want a brownie button.

Added cut photo the next morning, was so afraid it would morph or partial gel or something like that, but it is OK!
IMG_0674.jpgIMG_0678.JPG

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually tried for a specific outcome instead of a happy accident, was very scientific and focused and disciplined (very against my nature) and I got the color I was trying for: pink. It is colored with rhubarb root infused oilve oil and has 9 oils in all, everything but the olive is one of the whiter ones. I reduced the infused oil to 10% of my last try and put it in the fridge to get a lighter color. Such a departure from my throw-it-together approach. Thanks everyone for the inspiration. I used a Tea Tree/Geranium EO blend at 2.5% usage. Oh, and a new mold, took out the silicone and lined with paper. Yay, I want a brownie button.
View attachment 50833
That’s a beautiful color you got! Very pretty.

My soapy thing for the day was trying a new FO. Succulent Agave & Oakmoss from Candles and Supplies. It thickened up a bit on me but I think I was still able to get a decent swirl. I guess I’ll see tomorrow! It smells really nice. It’s hard to describe but it’s a clean, light kind of perfume scent. I like it. It’s all tucked in for the night. 😁
ETA the cut. 23644C5B-92DF-4EB5-80D5-8248D66B0C8D.jpeg
FA43123E-750B-4C62-AD6F-A8029E30C7AB.jpeg

Last edited: