Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

giulia

Reaction score
That's what I'm working on too. I have some nice gift boxes and I'm planning what to put in them. I think a goat's milk soap, a 4oz jar of bath salts, and a 4oz jar of goat's milk lotion. I also ordered some more packaging supplies like organza bags. They work great for odd shaped soaps (like the ones in my avatar. You can still see and smell them easily in the bags.
That sounds awesome. The organza bags are a good idea. I have a pretty flower mold that I plan to use and they are an odd size so the bags might be a better idea than a box. I also have some jars that I plan to put some sugar scrub in to go with the soap.
I want to try goats milk at some point but I’m just not sure if I’m up to it just yet.

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@SPowers It's prolly best to start a new thread so others can play the name game. ;) That being said, I like that soap very much. It made me think of a "gentleman's soap" -- an elegant, suave, sophisticated gentleman with excellent understated taste. Thus, I would call it "Bond. James Bond" 😁
Love that idea! Thanks

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a busy day today but not really soap related! Having said that, I made soap yesterday and I was trying a specific technique so I HAD to make some time to cut this puppy open. The colours are quite muted and almost what I was going for... wanted something that gave the impression of a poinsettia. I'll take better pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to use my new oval molds, I wanted to make a triple butter soap, and I wanted to try a sunset ombre, so I did the math for doing all of that in the same batch this coming weekend... Yes, I know triple butter (15% each cocoa/ mango/Shea) will make it challenging to ombre. I'm also impatient to try a beer soap, but this would also be my first time using sorbitol, so I'll see how much courage/stupidity I've got on the day of. I also want to do some face soaps, so maybe I'll use beer for that instead.
I made my first batch of soap today!!! 5 lbs of Mountain Dew scented soap with a 3 color in the pot swirl! It was so much easier than I could have ever thought!!! I'll post more pictures when I cut it tomorrow!!! View attachment 50102View attachment 50103
That looks great! That feels like a lot of soap to me, but I love testing new ideas, so my largest batches are half that size, and most are either 1 or .25lb batches. I use less material and space per learning experience that way. I'm glad it came together super smoothly for you, and congratulations on your first batch!

Soapnado

Reaction score
I wanted to use my new oval molds, I wanted to make a triple butter soap, and I wanted to try a sunset ombre, so I did the math for doing all of that in the same batch this coming weekend... Yes, I know triple butter (15% each cocoa/ mango/Shea) will make it challenging to ombre. I'm also impatient to try a beer soap, but this would also be my first time using sorbitol, so I'll see how much courage/stupidity I've got on the day of. I also want to do some face soaps, so maybe I'll use beer for that instead.

That looks great! That feels like a lot of soap to me, but I love testing new ideas, so my largest batches are half that size, and most are either 1 or .25lb batches. I use less material and space per learning experience that way. I'm glad it came together super smoothly for you, and congratulations on your first batch!
Thank you! Yeah! I've always been an all-in kinda girl. If I'm gonna do something, I'm gonna go all in! I want to make a beer soap as well! I can't wait to experiment with the different liquids you can use in place of water.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Besides posting the challenge winners, and checking on my order for zinc oxide, nothing.

Yesterday I stood on my feet for 4 hours without a break, which usually only makes my back hurt badly, but caused such intense pain in my arthritic hip that even today it was difficult standing. I was making chili rellenos, soup stock & other culinary delights, which of course turned out fabulous, but I paid the price in pain all the rest of the day and today. (Tomorrow? as yet unknown).

In the afternoon, I said to myself, there is no way I can make soap in this kind of pain, and I wondered how many days I was going to be suffering the aftermath. Next time, I will remind myself to take frequent breaks to prevent this kind of pain.

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Yeah! I've always been an all-in kinda girl. If I'm gonna do something, I'm gonna go all in! I want to make a beer soap as well! I can't wait to experiment with the different liquids you can use in place of water.
I'm the same way! Aloe Vera Juice is my go to, and I freeze it into cubes. I've recently been playing with half hard apple cider half AVJ, and it turns out if you let hard cider simmer for forever and get all the alcohol out of it, it doesn't accelerate your trace much. So I want to see if the same is true of beer. I should caution that the higher the sugar or acid in the liquid, the more important it is to add the lye to it very slowly and stir as you go to avoid a lye volcano.

Dawni

Reaction score
Cleaning these up a bit.. The first of Christmas soaps :)
IMG_20201001_141630.jpg
It didn't get much ash to begin with and I like them there, but I planed off some bumps so they'll lay flat.

Used oxides this time... I'm still putting them in the "natural" category coz I want to. Lol

xavalyss

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered my last few fragrances and 2# of lye from WSP to finish up my soaping for Christmas. When those are made I'm going on hiatus for awhile.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm the same way! Aloe Vera Juice is my go to, and I freeze it into cubes. I've recently been playing with half hard apple cider half AVJ, and it turns out if you let hard cider simmer for forever and get all the alcohol out of it, it doesn't accelerate your trace much. So I want to see if the same is true of beer. I should caution that the higher the sugar or acid in the liquid, the more important it is to add the lye to it very slowly and stir as you go to avoid a lye volcano.
And use a tall container with a lot of head-room so that if & when it does start to rise, which it can unexpectedly even when slowly adding the dry lye, the extra headroom in the vessel gives it a safe place to go, rather than spilling over the sides. As an added precaution, always mix lye solution in a vessel securely seated in another vessel such as a kitchen sink or plastsic dishpan or secondary bucket to catch any spillage.

Used oxides this time... I'm still putting them in the "natural" category coz I want to. Lol

I though that, too, but apparently it is not always true. It depends on where the oxides were sourced. Some are lab created. Even oxides mined and used straight from the earth, although natural, doesn't mean skin safe. In the US oxides sold by cosmetic & soap supply companies are lab produced to ensure color purity. So the coloring agents include man-made dyes.

But then in the US 'Natural' is not regulated, so it can mean whatever the consumer wants it to mean, which boils down to it doesn't mean much here. Maybe it has a clearer meaning in the Philippines. It would be nice if it did.

Soapnado

Reaction score
Thank you so much for that information! Lol!! That would be real bad!

Dawni

Reaction score
But then in the US 'Natural' is not regulated, so it can mean whatever the consumer wants it to mean, which boils down to it doesn't mean much here. Maybe it has a clearer meaning in the Philippines. It would be nice if it did.
It does not. And I'm taking advantage of that lol. I'm almost certain it's even less clear here than there.....

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
REALLY hoping my green did not turn blue. My EO blend was colorless, but sometimes I get this yellow oil on top anyway. Any ideas? It’s never through the loaf. I know I reached gel because my left overs are nice and green. Fingers crossed! 🤞🏼🎄🙏🏼

Attachments

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
REALLY hoping my green did not turn blue. My EO blend was colorless, but sometimes I get this yellow oil on top anyway. Any ideas? It’s never through the loaf. I know I reached gel because my left overs are nice and green. Fingers crossed! 🤞🏼🎄🙏🏼
I love the hearts 😍

But OMG, I wasn't really paying attention at first and I saw the first photo and thought Holy crap. What tenacity to pour into a pringle mold to get nice straight layers like that LOL LOL. Sorry, it was the first thing I saw and my brain ran with it.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the hearts 😍

But OMG, I wasn't really paying attention at first and I saw the first photo and thought Holy crap. What tenacity to pour into a pringle mold to get nice straight layers like that LOL LOL. Sorry, it was the first thing I saw and my brain ran with it.
PVC mold.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, since I can't go anywhere atm (see my gripe post). I started trolling Etsy to see their home made soaps for sale.

I must say, some of them soaps that I saw just made me angry. I would never sell anything that looked like that LOL. DOS spots, bubbles, partial gel.

I dunno, maybe its me. But I don't think, that no matter how much I want to get rid of a batch of ugly soap, that I would SELL a bar at full price with a big ring of partial gel in the middle. Maybe say that it is "imperfect but usable" at a lower price?? I might do that. If I already had a good name for myself with really pretty soaps, I guess I might do that. And some of these ppl have hundreds of good reviews about their soap. So I suppose the soap is good, just ugly.

One girl has a listing about salt bars that is "rustic"...I'm thinking noooo. I have 12 bars that look like that. You had to plop plop in the molds cause it got away from you LOL. She is selling for like $12.95.

I recently gave a bunch of bars out at work...purposely not giving them anything that was imperfect because I didn't want anybody to be like "well mine was a little wonky but it smells good". I don't think that I would be able to sell her a bar in the future. One girl wanted nothing more than pumpkin spice. I only have one bar left, but it was a really weird looking end cut. So she didn't get a pumpkin spice. But she took a couple of my more pretty soaps.

I admire a bunch of soapmakers online. I will be buying a few of their soaps (mostly out of curiosity). If I got a soap from one of the more reputable soapmakers with big bubbles or partial gel, I'd be really disappointed LOL.

I am not selling yet. I guess a little knowledge is dangerous LOL. I feel like buying their soaps on etsy with a ring in the middle and posting at them.

So my real soapy thing today, I am waiting for lye to cool to make some salt bars. I am undecided as to colorants. So far all the ones I have made are uncolored because I was afraid of acceleration. I might get brave today. I kind of like the natural look though. I was thinking green because I want to use up the rest of my cucumber melon FO.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Just placed my first order from Nurture Soaps for a few different micas and some fragrance oil. Bought a FO that was named Smell the Rainbow. Supposed to smell like Skittles. Hoping to make my second batch of soap this weekend with some Hemp Oil in it and will color it with some clays I bought off Amazon that got really good reviews.

Latest posts