Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Zing

Reaction score
I had just the opposite today. I tried a recipe given to me by a friend who used to make soap. Just a couple of blasts with the stick blender and it was at trace. While pouring it, it got so thick that after the first two cavities, it was almost solid. I suppose that's what I get by making a soap with oatmeal, buttermilk, honey, and beeswax. It will be a prime candidate for rebatching, for sure!
Yikes-kers! But with your talents, I'm sure you'll create something good regardless!

I finally made a soaping station in my unfinished basement. I got tired of worrying about the dog possibly walking on a random lye bead in the kitchen, and also if I happen to drop the lye there is only the concrete floor to be damaged down there!
View attachment 50009
Love it and I'm glad your puppers is safe! I too am lovin' my soap station in my unfinished basement! My motivation was to not wreck my brand new kitchen -- plus I got attached to my hardy hot plate that I used during the 6 months of kitchen remodeling. I keep the dog and cat out -- and who cares about the concrete floor?!

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I am pretty sure someone will be laughing up their sleeve at this photo, but hey. I am given to subtlety or something like that. Maybe dullness. This is my first try with the "kaleidasoap" idea. The tool I made has been hanging there for months waiting.

I only divided my batter in two parts and just added some TD to half, very low contrast. So, I think this looks like a sand dollar and I can't wait for the cure to see how it ends. It is colored with TD and Rhubarb Root infused olive oil and not much of that, I had hoped for a lighter pink. This rhubarb is powerful stuff.
I am calling this formula "hocky puck" it has 10% cocoa butter and 15% shea butter. It lathers like crazy and is hard as the name implies.

The EO's are Geranium with a touch of lavender and about 30% bergamot.

View attachment 50008
Nobody here will ever laugh at your soap

msunnerstood

Reaction score
Just got done piping my first soap in the Christmas villain series Im working on. Had a few issues with the red heart embed. I think it changed colors 3-4 times and landed on an orangy reddish-pink.. uggh then the piping was not quite firm enough. hoping it all comes together once its cut.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
I’ve been soooo busy. But I’ve wanted to make this soap for weeks. Made a batch of red/white peppermint layered soap and made soap curls from that. Topped a batch of chocolate soap with the curls. Smells so dang yummy. It was a LOT of work but definitely worth the effort.

Attachments

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been soooo busy. But I’ve wanted to make this soap for weeks. Made a batch of red/white peppermint layered soap and made soap curls from that. Topped a batch of chocolate soap with the curls. Smells so dang yummy. It was a LOT of work but definitely worth the effort.
Where do you live?! I'm coming over to eat it! 😁

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Cut the test batches from yesterday and they turned out ok. The FO (vanilla buttercream) is going to turn them ugly brown (can already tell on the sides), but the layers turned out ok. View attachment 50007
Lovely; really beautiful.
I made a soap I titled Lady Camo because the vanilla disscoloration turn my pink & white to pick & brown. I really liked the Lady Camoflauge effect and it smelled great.

Zing

Reaction score
Where do you live?! I'm coming over to eat it! 😁
Not if I get there first!! I had the same thought about how delicious it looks. Still trying to figure out @The_Phoenix Phoenix 's technique.

I cut my Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh tonight. Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh I know I sound repetitive but I using a real cutter is such a treat! It's up there with reaching in under the towels to feel the warm molds gellin' and turning curing soaps. Okay, that sounded just a tad geeky.

msunnerstood

Reaction score
Not if I get there first!! I had the same thought about how delicious it looks. Still trying to figure out @The_Phoenix Phoenix 's technique.

I cut my Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh tonight. Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh I know I sound repetitive but I using a real cutter is such a treat! It's up there with reaching in under the towels to feel the warm molds gellin' and turning curing soaps. Okay, that sounded just a tad geeky.
We soap geeks have a secret handshake brought on by repetitive stick blender use.

sarahmarah

Reaction score
Ordered samples of fall/holiday fragrances from some suppliers that I haven't checked out before--Muddy Soap Co. and Candles and Supplies. Also grabbed some favorites from Wooden Wick to use for close family and friends holiday gifts. I put in an order for Lotion/scrub supplies as I have always wanted to learn how to formulate those from scratch. My treat to myself for managing to survive the first few weeks of homeschool madness😂

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I brought a bunch of soap in for the trauma nurses. They all wanted to give me money (I didnt take it!! Lol). They were totally gaga over it. Even the guys.

I told them the only payment was to follow me on instagram and comment on my soap after they have used it a bit. Now i gotta get all my pictures up.

Building my future customer base lol. Tomorrow, i work on the ER nurses lol.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made my 50th batch of soap!
Decided to actually throw away some shavings. For the first time. My confetti stash over floweth!
I havent been beveling my soap...i feel like i completely destroy it. I dont really mind the crisp edges. So i really dont have too much as far as shavings go. I guess i can hit some of my bits and pieces with a peeler

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing some soapy stuff today as usual. Lol. This time it’s prep work. I made a cucumber melon soap last week with one of the cucumbers from my garden. I had a bunch in the fridge and wanted to use them up. @earlene you would approve! 😁 So I made a few jars of refrigerator dill pickles and decided to prep the rest for soap. I got out my trusty vitamix chunked up some cukes2A588A71-16EA-4FE1-A0C1-26C3F532AF27.jpeg and added some distilled water and puréed away. It got nice and liquidy but there was still some pulp so I strained it and put the juice in 5 ice cube trays. When that hardens I’ll transfer them to baggies and put the pulp in the molds. Will use the juice as the liquid and add a little pulp to the oils. The soap I made last week is really nice and cucumber melon is one of my favorite scents as well as a favorite of friends and family who have tried it. My kitchen smells so green and heavenly right now!

Last edited:

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
All my soap shreds are currently in the InstantPot on the slow cooker setting. It's about half full, which was not enough (for once) to fill the turkey roaster pan, nor to make it worth turning on the oven (which I have yet to try for re-batching, but I will!).

The advantage is that the stainless IP liner is so light and easy to clean, compared to a ceramic crock. However, the IP's slow-cooker setting supposedly doesn't get as hot as a traditional crock; we shall see how long it takes to melt everything.