Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

amd

Reaction score
Cut a batch of soap this morning. Broke 3 strings on my cutter. Of course I had just replaced the last two spare strings in my possession over the weekend, so I have to order more strings. I think I'll have hubby do the replacing this time as I'm pretty sure two of three that broke were the ones I just replaced so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a new soap cutter. I have a multi bar cutter that I like, but sometimes I want different sized soaps and this just can't do it - so I ordered a one-at-a-time soap cutter. Should be here next Tuesday! Yeah, I can't wait.

goat soap rulz!

Reaction score
I got my nurture soap package yesterday and made a Christmas soap with the teeny tiny 2 pound mold just because LOL!! And i love them! Right now it has a cow print soap for my friend for Christmas! She loves cows :)
I am supposed to be getting the Bramble Berry stuff Friday. I guess Emailing them did work! XD And we ordered a soap cutter for my birthday! YAAAASSS!! i am sosososo excited! I am making a bunch of small batches of soap for christmas as personal presents, but im not cutting the loafs, just unmolding them, and waiting for the cutter. Its.So.Hard. i hate waiting LOL!

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a 2nd batch of Tea Tree & Calendua yesterday and today I just put it aside to wait til tomorrow - I think I cut the first one too soon so will see if waiting helps.

Then I remade one of my earlier soaps... it's layered with AC on the bottom; a green layer made with barleygrass powder and the centre is uncoloured to which I added some of each colour to make an in-pot swirl. It was the 6th soap after starting and while I was still trying to formulate a recipe. This time I used my go-to recipe and it behaved really nicely. Here's the 1st one - I will post a pic of the 2nd one in a day or two.

Attachments

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm rebatching in hopes that I can cook off an FO I'm hating. I might just throw out the soap and the FO, if not just the FO.

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm rebatching in hopes that I can cook off an FO I'm hating. I might just throw out the soap and the FO, if not just the FO.
FOs can be really stubborn, and if they've already survived the lye process, odds are good they will also survive the heat. I would either try to blend it or just toss the soap. Curiosity's sake, which FO is it?

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FOs can be really stubborn, and if they've already survived the lye process, odds are good they will also survive the heat. I would either try to blend it or just toss the soap. Curiosity's sake, which FO is it?
Some of the FOs I've tried faded but this one (Nature's Garden Orange Blossom) is a strong sucker indeed. If you wanna know what I smell in this FO- think citrusy laundry detergent that is very strong. Thank God I never buy more than an once when it comes to trying fragrances. Luckily, the Vanilla Blossom and Fruitcake scents smell way better (and aren't headache inducing).

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooooo how much mica is too much? I realized I used double the recommended. I sure do love pretty colors! I’ll for sure wait and see how it goes. But are we talking staining, or just tinted lather? 1-2t PPO is recommended, I used 2t per 3/4lb.
Edit: Now that I say it like that it doesn’t sound so bad. Sometimes I don’t math so great.

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooooo how much mica is too much? I realized I used double the recommended. I sure do love pretty colors! I’ll for sure wait and see how it goes. But are we talking staining, or just tinted lather? 1-2t PPO is recommended, I used 2t per 3/4lb.
Edit: Now that I say it like that it doesn’t sound so bad. Sometimes I don’t math so great.
TBH, as long as we're talking soap, the soap can usually wash off the Mica. Washing things off is it's job. I'm sure the lather will be pretty, and if you don't rinse a spot there may be sparkles, but that's probably the extent of the problem. Also, Mica doesn't stain, not truly. The super fine ones can be a pain to clean off soapy dishes, but they're still inert rocks that can't spread color to any place they aren't at.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut my Cucumber Melon soaps. I am going to admit, i got my color inspiration from @Jersey Girl with her cucumber melon lol. I would have never thought of putting green and orange together on my own. My sister thought i was nuts with the colors, but now she loves the cut. I wanted the white to be whiter. The mica is new to me ..Winter White from NS. The website states that you need a lot to make it white to replace TD. I am just really bad at determining how much when i split off the batter i guess.

I was going to do a drop swirl, but when i saw the colors i got scared lol. So ITP it is.

edit...annnnd that picture just reminded me i need to clean lol

Attachments

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut my Cucumber Melon soaps. I am going to admit, i got my color inspiration from @Jersey Girl with her cucumber melon lol. I would have never thought of putting green and orange together on my own. My sister thought i was nuts with the colors, but now she loves the cut. I wanted the white to be whiter. The mica is new to me ..Winter White from NS. The website states that you need a lot to make it white to replace TD. I am just really bad at determining how much when i split off the batter i guess.

I was going to do a drop swirl, but when i saw the colors i got scared lol. So ITP it is.

SO pretty! I just ordered some winter white mica to try instead of TD also. How much did you use for how much batter? I’m excited to try it!

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SO pretty! I just ordered some winter white mica to try instead of TD also. How much did you use for how much batter? I’m excited to try it!
The site says 3tsp ppo. I used 3tsp here. I split off 1000ml of the white batter, so i guess i should have almost doubled that amt. it just seemed like so much lol.

Feel free to correct my math lol. But 3tsp wasnt enough for the 1000 ml of batter.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
You'll likely be okay. Depends on the color though. If it's black or red you may have some bleeding/staining.

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I unmolded 1 soap and have 1 more not quite ready to unmold... maybe later today.

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I always think of cucumbers, cantaloupe and honeydew when I use that scent so I always include a peachy orange. 😁 One of my favorite scents.
The last batch I made I used one of my cucumbers from the garden that I puree’d.

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have supplies coming! But they're from Brambleberry, so I'll start soaping again in October. Just kidding, I'll probably use the rest of the not-favorite FO in another batch of (solid) dish soap this or some future weekend.
But I was running a little low on Shea and cocoa butters. I also wanted some ingredients to play with body butter, and I wanted to replicate a face oil I love but with less safflower/sunflower oil. Brambleberry had a specific mold I wanted, and I've been considering adding oatmeal to a specific recipe or two for a while now.
And after finalizing that, I realized I'm also low on Castor, put in another order, and impulse bought a Lily of the Valley FO. Which... Lily of the Valley is my favorite smelling flower, but also, I don't want to cut my testing base in half by doing overly feminine or masculine things. Maybe it'll combine with WSP Sugared Spruce to become more unisex? I'll see what it's like when I get it. If it's a clear enough fragrance, I might soap it in a spring design anyways.